Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 08:37 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times

Advertisements

Damn, what a thread lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 08:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Damn, what a thread lol
Weird emotions for personal reason. Common when it involves Birmingham. I think you see it now, right. That's why you laughing. It's similar vibes with the talk of building a new proposed interstate through black belt region.

Last edited by mcalumni01; 09-22-2021 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 05:38 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Touched a nerve, huh.

Oh yeah, we really need more missiles and rockets and stuff to help billionaires join the ultra mile high club and kill more people better on the other side of the globe. USA! USA! USA!

Now to go kiss my Kamala pic.
Clueless you are

Old 09-23-2021, 06:09 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Weird emotions for personal reason. Common when it involves Birmingham. I think you see it now, right. That's why you laughing. It's similar vibes with the talk of building a new proposed interstate through black belt region.

Yep. It's a weird syndrome that I don't quite understand. Pork barrel dollars have been sluicing into Huntsville for eons, yet if Birmingham gets funding for something like this, they practically drive down I-65 to complain about matters.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:52 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yep. It's a weird syndrome that I don't quite understand. Pork barrel dollars have been sluicing into Huntsville for eons, yet if Birmingham gets funding for something like this, they practically drive down I-65 to complain about matters.
So you admit it’s a useless project, and you seem to think this is just a Huntsville thing. The entire state is getting screwed out of getting projects done that are needed now. It’s a weird syndrome that some have a problem with Huntsville growing. No one is against projects that are beneficial for Birmingham. The infrastructure bill does nothing for the state. It would be great to drive down an upgraded 6 lane I-65 or to the Gulf Coast but no that won’t happen.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:23 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
So you admit it’s a useless project, and you seem to think this is just a Huntsville thing. The entire state is getting screwed out of getting projects done that are needed now. It’s a weird syndrome that some have a problem with Huntsville growing. No one is against projects that are beneficial for Birmingham. The infrastructure bill does nothing for the state. It would be great to drive down an upgraded 6 lane I-65 or to the Gulf Coast but no that won’t happen.
Haha. You in a Birmingham forum talking about a weird syndrome. Nobody mentioned anything about growth. That "high" pedestal you are on is showing. I posted that link because I knew it would get the attention from those in the northern part of the state and it worked. So all of a sudden you need 6 lanes to go from your house to the beach. Please. I mean it's between 6 and 10 lanes in Jefferson and Shelby County (lol). 6 lanes in Montgomery and Mobile Counties. But regardless, ALDOT isn't nearly done in Birmingham as you may want or think. So that's that. Keep it moving. Deuces

Last edited by mcalumni01; 09-23-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-23-2021, 07:42 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
All I know is, the longer I live, the more I realize I should never say, "______ will never get built....", followed by all the logic and data that shows why it shouldn't, because it dang sure can be, never underestimate politics. There are checks and balances set up to make sure needed projects happen, but you can't override powerful politicians and enough unity here or there. And it goes the other way, very obvious projects also sometimes just don't happen, for no real reason whatsoever.

I'd probably just accept the beltline funding if it was handed down, as Shelby won't be around forever. No matter if it's needed.

This isn't to say people should get cynical and stop trying to stand up for what's right. Sometimes things just happen.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post

The fallacy in what you're beefing about is that this is Federal, not state, highway funding. It's not as if the Alabama Highway Department said, "Screw Mobile and Huntsville, we're going to build this instead." I mean, you don't hear people complaining about the Space Launch System's (Not to mention its predecessors) complete failure after years of investment. Compared to the money that flowed into Huntsville for that project, the Northern Beltline looks like the spare change you'd find in your couch cushions. So basically, you're okay with wasteful government spending when it takes place in your city, but are enraged when it takes place somewhere else. Is that how it works?

In truth, despite my earlier comment, there is some merit to such a project if it could actually get completed sometime in the next eon or two. Namely, that Birmingham is turning into a sizable logistics and distribution center. It's happening before our eyes. So I-422 would basically allow that aspect of the regional and state economy to continue its growth.

However, and trust me on this, no one has a problem with Huntsville growing. It's just downright neurotic to believe otherwise. The only issue that Birminghamsters have is with this weird need of Huntsvillians to crow their city's growth at the expense of Birmingham, depicting Birmingham as some post-industrial hellscape. As someone who does biz in Huntsville a couple of times a month, it gets really tedious in a hurry.

I mean, we had a debate on this subject last year on this forum. Huntsville peeps decided to barge into a nice and positive thread on the cool freeway lights and park project, part of the ongoing effort to boost Birmingham's Civic Center complex into a venue a la the Railroad Park. Again, they were complaining about the use of Federal funds without the least hint of self-awareness. Or complaining about the I-65/I-59 interchange project, despite the fact that that interchange sees roughly 2x the traffic that I-565 sees at its worst chokepoints. I mean, we never weigh in on topics in the Huntsville forum.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 09-23-2021 at 07:55 AM..

Old 09-23-2021, 07:51 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
However, and trust me on this, no one has a problem with Huntsville growing. It's just downright neurotic to believe otherwise. The only issue that Birminghamsters have is with this weird need of Huntsvillians to crow their city's growth at the expense of Birmingham, depicting Birmingham as some post-industrial hellscape. As someone who does biz in Huntsville a couple of times a month, it gets really tedious in a hurry.
Never has a statement been more true on the whole Alabama forum.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Never has a statement been more true on the whole Alabama forum.

I know, right? You'd think Birmingham was Fiint, Michigan, or some such to hear these people talk. It's also not anywhere close to reality, given the enormous strides the city and region have taken since the mortgage meltdown in 2008. Or in the period between 1979 and 2008.

And that's a pretty significant point to make. Because Birmingham's growth is pretty much driven by private enterprise, not massive government spending. So, yeah, we took enormous hits when USS Steel shut down in the 70s and the banking collapse happened in the 00s.

We've been more of a boom-and-bust town, chiefly because we've always been too reliant in the past on a handful of industries. So since 2008, we've reinvented ourselves once again, and undertaken to transform the city center. And it's paying off big time.

Now, we have a nice little pork barrel project that, if managed properly, could open up the entire northern half of the metro to development and industry. Not the worst thing in the world if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area