Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 05:06 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times

Advertisements

I stopped by my local Carnegie library today, recently reopened after a $1 million renovation (it warms my heart that my hometown sees fit to make such an investment). After perusing the biographies and the history section, I had a look in the science aisle - and came up with Chip Walter's Last Ape Standing - The Seven-Million-Year Story of How and Why We Survived.

I've just started it, but so far so good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:54 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I just finished Tobacco Road and I really enjoyed it. A LOT.
(bonus points for being an easy read too).
So I started The Sound and The Fury, got to about 15 pages. I am going to give it a good try but it's NOT an easy read so far. I looked at the comments on Good reads and that seems to be the consensus thought many people say it is so worth it. will keep on trying. I just feel like I am so unsure as to what is going on and who is who. ( loads of characters already and mostly dialogue). My head is spinning.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:18 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well I just finished Tobacco Road and I really enjoyed it. A LOT.
(bonus points for being an easy read too).
So I started The Sound and The Fury, got to about 15 pages. I am going to give it a good try but it's NOT an easy read so far. I looked at the comments on Good reads and that seems to be the consensus thought many people say it is so worth it. will keep on trying. I just feel like I am so unsure as to what is going on and who is who. ( loads of characters already and mostly dialogue). My head is spinning.
I've never been able to finish an entire Faulkner book, I'm embarrassed to say, but if I were going to try, I'd read about it on Wikipedia first. (That's a little embarrassing too, isn't it?) But I have found Wikipedia to be helpful when reading a book with lots of characters and a plot that's difficult to follow. And I have found that it does not take away from the pleasure of reading the book to do so.

Another of my favorite Southern authors is William Gay. His books are very dark though, so if you pick one up, be prepared. I Hate to See That Evening Sun Go Down is a collection of short stories that I couldn't get out of my head for a long time. Powerful writing.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:40 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I've never been able to finish an entire Faulkner book, I'm embarrassed to say, but if I were going to try, I'd read about it on Wikipedia first. (That's a little embarrassing too, isn't it?) But I have found Wikipedia to be helpful when reading a book with lots of characters and a plot that's difficult to follow. And I have found that it does not take away from the pleasure of reading the book to do so.

Another of my favorite Southern authors is William Gay. His books are very dark though, so if you pick one up, be prepared. I Hate to See That Evening Sun Go Down is a collection of short stories that I couldn't get out of my head for a long time. Powerful writing.
I'd start with As I Lay Dying with Faulkner. Not saying it's accessible . . . but it's more accessible.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:12 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I just got a book recommendation from a pen friend and was wondering if anyone has read it on here yet ? it is : the minutes of the lazzarus club by tony pollard . anyone ?

Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Lisa Gardner "Find Her". Very well written and very scary too.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:19 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
The House on Tradd Street by Karen White. I'm a third into it and having a mighty fine time reading it.
Many, many thanks to the person who recommended it. I'm sorry but I don't remember who it was.

The mansion is very old and located "south of Broad" in Charleston. That phrase is used several times in the book and it rang a loud bell with me. At last I remembered reading Pat Conroy's book about Charleston and the title of his book is South of Broad. South of Broad St. is where to find the old mansions and the old money of Charleston.

It's set in modern day where a 39 year old real estate woman inherits the house on Tradd St. from the owner who passed away after meeting her for the first time two days before his death. He left everything to her. The reason why will be found in the history of both their families. So, it's a mystery but what a delicious one.

Karen White is a master of descriptions and ambiances. The characters are brought to life just like the old house and gardens are. The main characters are fun and make sarcastic comments that take me by surprise and make me laugh out loud.

Irony is everything in the book and it's great fun watching it unfurl. I think I might actually love this book.

I highly recommend it.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:53 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
I just finished Chief counsel: Inside the Ervin Committee--the untold story of Watergate by Samuel Dash. I found it a spellbinding, fast read book. I remember that era of history quite well. A few gripes. Similar to many quasi-autobiographical books, or books that highlights the author's role in major events, the author "puffs his chest" a lot. From my memory he was quite crucial to the 1973 hearings and Nixon's ultimate forced resignation. The book also takes a few too many "cheap shots" at other players.

Aside from my grumbling it was a good book and had information that other "Watergate era" books lacked, given the author's unique perspective.

I am now deciding whether to read Whittaker's Life on the Edge, about his Everest climb, Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, or both in tandem. Thoughts?

Old 07-23-2016, 11:56 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I read God Is by David Adams Richards. https://www.amazon.com/God-Search-Fa...adams+richards I've been a fan of his since Mercy Among the Children. It is, in his own words, his search for faith in a secular world. Although I did not agree with everything he had to say, I still found it compelling. I felt in some places as if I had walked in on an argument he was having with someone else. I highly recommend it for those who are interested in the subject matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just finished The Excellent Lombards by Jane Hamilton. What a beautifully, beautifully written book!

It's right up there with A Member of the Wedding and To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm sure that it will become a classic.

Just WOWZA!
And then I read The Excellent Lombards. I found it a sweet book and it's obvious that Hamilton understands the country.

Don't know what I'm reading next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books