Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 11:30 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

I didn’t know that Vermont had been an independent country before become ig a state—like Texas—
Interesting….thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 11:35 AM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I didn’t know that Vermont had been an independent country before become ig a state—like Texas—
Interesting….thanks
On that topic see Separate Republic Origins of Vermont and Hawaiin Pre-1893 Was Royal Kingdon - Abigail Kawananakoa, Hawaiian princess, dies at 96. The former discusses briefly as well California's brief republican experience, about 26 days. But Vermont, Hawaii and Texas came closer to setting up the machinery of a separate country.

Old 12-20-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On that topic see Separate Republic Origins of Vermont and Hawaiin Pre-1893 Was Royal Kingdon - Abigail Kawananakoa, Hawaiian princess, dies at 96. The former discusses briefly as well California's brief republican experience, about 26 days. But Vermont, Hawaii and Texas came closer to setting up the machinery of a separate country.
Knew about the others—including how Big Sugar and the US Government stole Hawaii from the Hawaiian people—
Just not Vermont—thanks

Old 12-20-2022, 02:39 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 3 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times

This marks my second book with this author, Camille Yarbrough. I still have my first book from her, Tamika and the Wisdom Rings.

Current book: The Shimmershine Queens

Old 12-20-2022, 03:36 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Sugar Changed the World (Aronson & Budhos)

A concise history of sugar cane, its cultivation and dissemination. Lots of cool paintings, and factoids, etc.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:33 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Well, after The Tender Bar ( which was excellent , in case you missed my rave review), I read Verity.
I kept hearing about it and seeing it mentioned so thought I'd try it. It was a very good read, but oh my I don't think I will read the author again (Colleen Hoover, quite the popular author).
It started out seeming like a very good interesting story ( with a very strong opening) and while it definitely kept me reading, it was sort of trashy and made me think of Jacqueline Susann. However, JS was a better writer and maybe it was the era but JS was not so explicit .

On a totally different avenue, now I started Their Eyes Were Watching God

Old 12-21-2022, 07:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
For those who loved The Tender Bar, may I recommend The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg?

A memoir, written in similar style, just as heartfelt. A man recalling his father's reputation, his own extremely rough and tumble boyhood, and the stepson he later acquires.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:56 PM

832 posts, read 412,794 times
Finished The Promise by Damon Galgut https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...72-the-promise

Winner of the 2021 Booker Prize. This was a 4.5 star read for me.

"What a thought, Marina, sis on you, but you can't help what you think, it's only human, and far worse has gone through your mind, oh yes it has. Her husband's foot touches hers, she pulls her foot away. Terrible to flinch from what you once, briefly, loved, or thought you did, or wanted to think you did. But are shacked to, regardless, for life."

"He's dropped outside the main entrance to the hospital and has to find his way like a little germ through miles of intestinal passages. What an image, but in its way appropriate, given the setting. Always such sad, wrecked people sitting around in hospitals, and those are just the visitors. The patients are much further gone, obviously. The only reason to come in here is because you or somebody close to you is sick or hurt. No cheer in these confines."

"His late father, also Fred Winkler, who taught him and his brothers this business, being a mortician is a family sort of thing, who would do it otherwise, his father said to him long ago, You have to make them look peaceful. That's what the family wants to see, that their loved one is at peace. Bull****. What they really want to see is that their loved one is alive. They want to believe that Manie is only sleeping. It's the family that wants to be at peace."

"I brought some supplies with me, she says, hefting her bag. I've turned vegan and I don't want to put anyone to trouble. I'll cook a meal a bit later. Unexpected, all of it. Not what you were braced for. Imagine, bringing half a suitcase of vegetables with you to feed yourself!"

"Takes her a while to realize, nobody else is melting. Only me. The heat comes from inside, the engine resetting its calibrations, fuel tanks running dry and giving off fumes. How it feels, anyway. She's been having hot flashes for more than a year already, should be used to them by now but they still surprise her every time. Who set me on fire?"

Old 12-23-2022, 10:34 AM

Got my local Sarasota County library card and checked out books on two platforms
Hoopla (which also has video access) and Cloud Library
Same author, different novels in his series of a assassin for the Roman emperor
Alex Gough is author—-reading Emperor’s Axe and Emperor’s Knife—set in Roman-era Britain at this point

Last edited by loves2read; 12-23-2022 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-23-2022, 10:36 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
For those who loved The Tender Bar, may I recommend The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg?

A memoir, written in similar style, just as heartfelt. A man recalling his father's reputation, his own extremely rough and tumble boyhood, and the stepson he later acquires.
That was a good book! I remember reading it ( and a few of Rick Bragg's books) several years ago. I really enjoyed that.
I know I loved All Over but the Shoutin' and Ava's Man... pretty sure I read another one or two but yes I really liked his writing.Good suggestion. I'll now go look at more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books