Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2023, 10:11 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times

Advertisements

Finished three lackluster books. All three were a 3 star read for me.

Black Buck by Mateo Askaripour

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang

Vladimir by Julia May Jonas

I also had 2 DNF's which were:

Maame by Jessica George

The Survivalists by Kashana Cauley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 12:35 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Out of the Clear Blue Sky - Kristen Higgens.

She's Cone Undone - Wally Lamb

Old 05-24-2023, 10:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I'm finally ready to share my review of The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese. This is a mammoth story (and mammoth book - 724 pages) that begins in 1900 with the marriage of a 12 year old girl to an older widower in India and though this might sound ominous their relationship matures into a loving legacy and most of the characters throughout the decades that follow are somehow connected to this family and certainly to the land that is so beautifully described:

"It is a child's fantasy world of rivulets and canals, a latticework of lakes and lagoons, a maze of backwaters and bottle-green lotus ponds; a vast circulatory system because, as her father used to say, all water is connected. It spawned a people - Malayalis - as mobile as the liquid medium around them, their gestures fluid, their hair flowing, ready to pour out laughter as they float from this relative's house to that one's, pulsing and roaming like blood corpuscles in a vasculature, propelled by the great beating heart of the monsoon."

I absolutely loved the first 500 pages and even took this chunk of a hardback book on two trips through the airport as I traveled for work! Somewhere between page 500 and 600, I felt like the author introduced too many ancilary characters that didn't really drive the story and weren't easy to connect with and keep up with. Additionally the politics of India in the 1950s following the end of British rule dominated the story and seemed to force the author to "tell rather than show" in order to explain to the reader the subtleties of the political changes. It's hard to explain, but there were conversations in this section that felt very forced and out of sync with the majority of the story.

Fortunately, the last 100 or so pages came together with a plot twist or two that I didn't really anticipate and I ended feeling quite satisfied. I also ended with a list of words that I need to look up as I kept an index card as a bookmark and wrote down some of the words that were totally new to me (I'll be contributing to the "What did you look up" thread!)

The author is a physician as are some of the characters in the book so he does not shy away from some pretty graphic (though beautifully written) descriptions of childbirth, injuries and leprosy. If that is off-putting to you, this might not be your book. None of the descriptions are meant to be gory nor do they feel gratuitous, but medicine in the early 1900s wasn't always pretty!

I have heard that the audio version is lovely as Abraham Verghese reads it, but I just didn't have it in me to listen to 30 hours of an audio book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to immerse themselves in a beautiful family saga with characters that you won't soon forget.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
There's A Hole in my Bucket by Royd Tolkien.

Non fiction. Story of two brothers, great-grandsons of JRR Tolkien of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit series. One brother, Mike, develops ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and writes a bucket list of things he wants his beloved brother Royd to do after Mike's death.

Heartening, and energizing. Makes you want to live adventurously. But just not that adventurously. ;D

Old 05-25-2023, 10:40 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Reading Yogi, a biography of Yogi Berra by John Pessah, interesting not only because of Berra and the outstanding career he had as well as what a decent man he was, but also for a peek at just how big baseball was back in the day, especially prior to TV taking hold when baseball was a huge supplier of entertainment for many people both at the ballpark and on the radio.

Last edited by burdell; 05-25-2023 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-26-2023, 10:51 AM

[quote=pinetreelover;65325893]I'm finally ready to share my review of The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese. This is a mammoth story (and mammoth book - 724 pages) that begins in 1900 with the marriage of a 12 year old girl to an older widower in India and though this might sound ominous their relationship matures into a loving legacy and most of the characters throughout the decades that follow are somehow connected to this family and certainly to the land that is so beautifully described:

Thank you for posting your review! I am looking forward to reading this mammoth of a book

Also, thank you for contributing to the What Did You Look Up thread!

Old 05-26-2023, 11:03 AM

Finished Lessons by Ian McEwan https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60092581-lessons

This one felt like a bit of a bear to read at times. This was a 3.5 star read for me.

"In the third week after Alissa's disappearance Roland set about imposing order on the overstuffed bookshelves around the table just off the kitchen. Books are difficult to tidy. Hard to chuck out. They resist. He set aside a cardboard box for charity-shop rejects. After an hour it contained two out-of-date paperback travel guides. Some editions had slips of paper or letters inside that needed to be read before they were returned to the shelves. Others had fond dedications. Many were too familiar to be handled without being opened and tasted again--on the first page or at random. A handful were modern first editions that asked to be opened and admired. He was not a collector--these were presents or accidental purchases."

"He was able to tell her he was no longer a burden on the state. What he couldn't confess to anyone was his lightness of being. To have money! Why had no one told him, it was a physical thing? He felt it in his arms and legs. Especially in his neck and shoulders. Mortgage paid off, son brightly clothed, two weeks together on an overlooked Greek island reached by a three-hour speedboat dash across a flat cerulean sea."

Old 05-27-2023, 05:38 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Finished "The Reading List" by Sara Nisha Adams. It was good, but slow.

Gonna start Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much is True." big honkin' book.

Old 05-27-2023, 06:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I started reading "Identity" by Nora Roberts this week. So far so good.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:23 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,941 times
I've just started my current book club read, "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus. I'm enjoying it very much -- clever, quirky, humorous -- what's not to love?!

The publisher's blurb in Amazon:

Meet Elizabeth Zott: a gifted research chemist, absurdly self-assured and immune to social convention in 1960s California whose career takes a detour when she becomes the unlikely star of a beloved TV cooking show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books