Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2023, 08:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Just finished: The long reckoning : a story of war, peace, and redemption in Vietnam by George Black

It's self described as: The moving story of how a small group of people--including two Vietnam veterans--forced the U.S. government to take responsibility for the ongoing horrors--agent orange and unexploded munitions--inflicted on the Vietnamese.

That sums it up pretty well. The more details that become available thru means like FOIA requests the more I can only hope we at least learn something from it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 09:09 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Working on several. "Hidden Life of Trees" ( book club) & Lying in Wait ( other book club ) Then I am also reading a kindle unlimited mystery when I want something I don't need to concentrate on. I want to start reading Killing of the FLower Moon soon too.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I pre-ordered Abe Verghese's (author of Cutting for Stone among others) newest book months ago and it arrived yesterday.

Wish me luck - The Covenant of Water is a 724 page hardback. I hope I don't drop it on my toe.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:48 AM

829 posts, read 411,263 times
Finished Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ming-mrs-lewis

I did enjoy this one. This was a 4 star read for me.

"I ran my fingers along the rise and fall of his words. The ink, obviously from a blue fountain pen, bled tiny lines from each character into the veins of the cotton paper. I lifted it to my nose and inhaled nothing but the aroma of cold air and dust. I slipped my finger under the sealed flap, eager to read every word, yet oddly I also wanted the expectancy to last--waiting and longing are often the cheap fuel of desire."

"The London public library loomed over the landscape like a castle, as if London understood better than Americans the regality of story. With its arched windows and gables, its stone facade and rich wood inside, it was a haven. That afternoon the reading room overflowed with young children sitting cross-legged on a thick brown carpet, jittery and bored while their teachers told them to hush and be still."

Old 05-06-2023, 04:56 AM

Finished Victory City by Salman Rushdie https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...6-victory-city

Another enjoyable read. This was a 4 star read for me.

"In the forest the conventions of the outside world lost their meaning and melted away. There were no schedules or timetables. One ate when one was hungry and slept when one was tired. It was a theater in which one could discover oneself, invent oneself anew, or clarify oneself by meditation. Hopes hung on every branch. Fears were things to be controlled. Desires were there to be fulfilled."

Old 05-06-2023, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I pre-ordered Abe Verghese's (author of Cutting for Stone among others) newest book months ago and it arrived yesterday.

Wish me luck - The Covenant of Water is a 724 page hardback. I hope I don't drop it on my toe.
That one is on my TBR list. Wow, that is a whopper of a book! Good luck with it and let us know how you are feeling about it!

Old 05-06-2023, 11:48 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
If You Tell by Gregg Olsen. I’ve read several of his books, and this one is based on the true story of Shelly Knotek, who spent years terrorizing her family and friends.

Gregg Olsen lives in Washington, he writes suspenseful stories of fictional and sometimes true characters. I’ve always thought of him as a west coast Steven King. Anyway, this story is incredible because it’s true. He has a very good insight into often reticent and isolated locals, and is very knowledgeable about his work. He researches before he writes, and thanks to him, I have a better understanding of the Washington lifestyle, including picking mushrooms and endless forests.

Kudos to the three sisters in this book, for growing up with all that horror and turning out so well.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:41 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 4 days ago)

445 posts, read 195,880 times

I'm on the first chapter. It'd be a wonder if Margaret is still living. She was raised in a strict Christian household but her mother didn't instruct her on the ills of the world. Her mother relayed the commands of the Bible without discussing the pitfalls of indulging in the wrong habits. This woman, Margaret, admits she never had self-esteem. It's tragic her mother appears to have thought she was doing the best thing by keeping her children in church. Margaret has a sister who became paralyzed from drug use. Margaret doesn't know what it will take for her to stop using drugs. I hope I don't ever fall into miserable circumstances.

Old 05-08-2023, 05:53 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I finished Finding Dorothy --- and really loved it. I thought the writing was great, and especially appreciated the details of daily life. Somehow it really helped give a very good background and idea of day to day existence at those times.
It is historical fiction done well. It did go back and forth from 1880 to 1939 (the making of the movie -The Wizard of Oz) but it did so in a smooth way. So many books I 've read lately do this but they do it in a hodge podge way.

I think this would be a good book for a book club, though I read it for myself. I found it just fascinating. I give it 5 stars.
I saw CA4Now loved it too.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:49 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
War Crimes Against Southern Civilians (Walter Cisco. 2007)

Basically a chronological accounting of Union army crimes against Southern civilians. I assume Sherman is the most (in)famous on this list, and it looks like the book gets to him in later chapters. But book starts with Border State/upper South actions.. arson, looting, vandalism in Missouri and Fredericksburg Virginia etc

Chapters are concise, photos & artwork included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books