Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2023, 04:44 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,994 times

Advertisements

The War Time Journal of a Georgia Girl 1864-1865

Eliza Frances Andrew

I bought this for a very low price on Amazon and it was very interesting.

She published this in about 1900 and gave a forward noting that her views had changed as well as thinking in the South since when they wrote this journal / diary.

Her views changing meaning that the attitudes towards the North and US and society had changed.

Her family seemed wealthy to some degree and her large house always had visitors staying.

Even the wife of Jefferson Davis stayed in the house for a couple days after Davis disappeared to evade capture aftr the war ended.

Lots of intriguing details about daily life, how people travelled, how and what they ate and the sentiments of people during the Civil War. The rumors and fear of Sherman coming to her hometown on his march (but he went east instead) and other war details. She notes how society in Georgia unraveled at the later stage of the War and in particular after the surrender at Appomatix. Lawlessness, looting, stealing with no police and no consequences, the confederate money was worthless and many people were having hunger issues.
Recommended to thos interested in daily life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 07:09 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Finished The Stolen Marriage by Diane Chamberlain https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tolen-marriage

This was a 3.5 star for me.

Old 11-23-2023, 06:59 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
I just finished a great book---------The Scent Keeper. It took a little bit for me to get into it, but then it hooked me and I lreally loved it. Beautifully written and a very interesting story.

Five Stars

Old 11-24-2023, 12:10 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Part way through Lessons in Chemistry, a NY Times bestselling novel about a female chemist trying to forge her career in the misogynistic early 1950s.

Excerpt from NY Times:

Quote:
LESSONS IN CHEMISTRY, by Bonnie Garmus (Doubleday, 386 pp., $29), a debut novel about a scientist in the 1960s who is opinionated, funny and intelligent, full stop. Unfortunately, Elizabeth Zott has been unceremoniously and brutally sidelined by male colleagues who make Don Draper look like a SNAG (Sensitive New Age Guy).

How, exactly, she was cheated out of a doctorate and lost the love of her life — Calvin Evans, a kindred scientist, expert rower and the father of her daughter, Madeline — are central elements in the story, but feminism is the catalyst that makes it fizz like hydrochloric acid on limestone.

Elizabeth Zott does not have “moxieâ€; she has courage. She is not a “girl boss†or a “lady chemistâ€; she’s a groundbreaker and an expert in abiogenesis (“the theory that life rose from simplistic, non-life forms,†in case you didn’t know). Not long after Zott converts her kitchen into a lab equipped with beakers, pipettes and a centrifuge, she gets hoodwinked into hosting a staid television cooking show called “Supper at Six.†But she isn’t going to smile and read the cue cards. Zott ad-libs her way into a role that suits her, treating the creation of a stew or a casserole as a grand experiment to be undertaken with utmost seriousness. Think molecular gastronomy in an era when canned soup reigned supreme. Baked into each episode is a healthy serving of empowerment, with none of the frill we have come to associate with that term.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-25-2023, 06:24 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Part way through Lessons in Chemistry, a NY Times bestselling novel about a female chemist trying to forge her career in the misogynistic early 1950s.
I loved this book. And it's now a TV miniseries.

Old 11-25-2023, 06:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I loved The Scent Keeper. Just finished up Matthew Perry's book called Friends, Lovers, and The Big, Terrible Thing and found it very interesting and sad. Now I am finishing up Four Seasons In Rome, which is very, very well written and good.

Old 11-25-2023, 04:10 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Black Cherry Blues - James Lee Burke

Old 11-26-2023, 07:12 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Tired of Winning by Jonathan Karl

Very informative quick read.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:47 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Default The Return of Wolves: An Iconic Predator’s Struggle to Survive in the American West by Eli Francovich

I just finished reading The Return of Wolves: An Iconic Predator’s Struggle to Survive in the American West by Eli Francovich. This subject has always been a favorite of mine. I will give it four stars, with, as usual, my quibbles. The foremost quibble would be the end, where the author seems to hint at almost a mystical relationship among wolves, their prey and humans. The best part is his rare recognition that wolves are not an unmixed blessing to the wild.

The author focuses on eastern Washington State, an interesting amalgam of a conservative, anti-wolf minority ensconced in a deeply liberal, urban-dominated state. One of the original points he makes is that wolves may never have been as abundant as mythologized. After American Indian populations were severely reduced by epidemics of smallpox and other diseases, buffalo and wolf populations apparently had a temporary explosion, terminated by the spread of white man through the Plains and mountains to the West. While the goal of the National Park system is to "restore" nature to pre-settlement conditions, an important qualifier is that American Indians kept prey and thus wolf populations in check. The author discusses and almost advocates a system of "range-riding" on horseback to keep livestock depredations to a minimum, but at some point hints that it may be susceptible to fraud, or not scalable to widespread use.

The book, ultimately, taught me a lot but left me confused.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I am midway through The Postcard by Anne Berest. This French novel was recently translated to English and is the story of a Jewish family living in France prior to WWII and follows them through the Holocaust to present day.

It is a really interesting format in that the people are real family members of the author who spent years researching her family's history through historical archives across Europe and the Postcard that gives the book it's title is also a real postcard listing the names of family members who were killed in Auschwitz (but no other explanation) that showed up in the family's mail in 2003. In interviews, Anne Berest states that she calls this a work of fiction because though the people and events are real, she wrote dialogue to drive the story and bring life to the historical documents that provide the backbone of The Postcard.

I'm enthralled by the story and the format and can't stop thinking about these real people/characters. So far, highly recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books