Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2023, 09:04 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times

Advertisements

"The Hundred Years War Against the Palestinian People."

by Rashid Khalidi

http://https://m.media-amazon.com/im...iS._SY522_.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 04:55 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Default Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the 116 Days that Changed the World by Chris Wallace, Mitch Weiss.

I just finished reading Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the 116 Days that Changed the World
by Chris Wallace, Mitch Weiss. Keep in mind the author is a rare animal; a Fox reporter who is a Democrat. I read this book in seven days; from October 28 to November 3. It was a page turner, and of course it helped that I already knew the outlines of the story. The book gave a day by day, in some case hour recount of the events. My father told me that many casualties were saved. I of course might not be here if the "bomb" had not been dropped. Interwoven were some very human stories of professional jealousy and rivalry, of a Japanese family severely impacted and other stories.

While there is not much soaring writing, two quotes from key players are in order. The first is from Jacob Beser: "I have often been asked if I had any remorse for what we did in 1945.I assure you that I have no remorse whatsoever and I will never apologize for what we did to end World War II. Humane warfare is an oxymoron. War by definition is barbaric. To try and distinguish between an acceptable method of killing and an unacceptable method is ludicrous." Paul Tibbetts, the lead pilot on the Hiroshima strike said ""If wars are going to be fought, I believe the object is to win the war.You're going to win it with all resources at your disposal. And if you're fortunate enough to possess powerful weapons or weapons more powerful than those of your enemies, there's only one thing to do and that's to use them."

You'll have to read to get more. My opinions on this subject matter are and will be on other threads.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:58 AM

3,301 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt. I am LOVING Marcellus the octupus!

Old 11-06-2023, 06:54 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt.
Great book - I loved it!

Old 11-06-2023, 08:32 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Just finishing up Jacko/Michael Jackson by Darwin Porter

Ok! You're parents of a 8 or 9 year old boy, Michael Jackson offers you a Rolls Royce, an unlimited shopping expedition, a million dollars and a new home, and Michael wants your boy to sleep with him at night or join him on one of his world tours, how many would have found this proposal irrestible?

As far as I'm concerned, these parents should have joined Pedophile Michael Jackson in prison!

What a disgusting man! I never could stomach his singing in the first place.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:47 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times

I wouldn't encourage anyone else to read this book unless they love the macabre.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:42 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
The Covenant of Water Abraham Verghese, it's 750 pages long, and I'm already in the beginning of the beginning of the 500's.
I really was scared to start this book thinking I will never be able to finish this, then thought, hey wait, I'm reading this because I want to, not because a teacher is making me, or it is a school project I must complete.

I also realized as I'm reading, that I am enjoying it.
Oprah said it was one of the best books she had ever read, well, I like it, but I wouldn't say it was one of the best books I have ever read. I have a few other books that i have read that I do like better.

But, I do admit some of it is a little tough as there are a lot of Indian or foreign names / phrases that I don't quite understand but none the less, some of the chapters truly did have me in tears, or my hand went over my mouth.

My spouse is amazed that I have read so much so far..
I saw Abraham on a you tube Oprah, Gayle special talking of this book, see below for those that might be interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPrWQwWLpNM

Old 11-07-2023, 04:09 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
just finished this last night. Some of the earliest end-times books i know of, and very good.

Quote:
Earth Abides is a 1949 American post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by George R. Stewart. The novel tells the story of the fall of civilization from deadly disease and the emergence of a new culture with simpler tools.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:04 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Palestinian Peace Not Apartheid by Jimmy Carter

Of the many books on this topic, this is one of the most informative.

Old 11-08-2023, 12:32 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Now reading THE BIG FAIL about the pandemic. Fascinating reading.

Explains the mistakes made by all sides in our national health care debacle; Trump, Fauci, Kushner, the Fed, industry, various crooks, banks, Wall Street . . . a shameful episode in American history.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books