Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2023, 07:25 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

I used this reading Blindsight is 2020: Reflections on Covid Policies by Gabrielle Bauer. If ever there was a book that needed writing it was this one. If there was ever an author that needed to write this book, it was Gabrielle Bauer. The author reflects thoughts that I have had since a few days after I was personally affected by the lockdown. the week began normally. The parking lot to the train station were almost full and most people were happily at work. A few people have their children in because their schools had already closed on a day to day basis. By the end of that week, on Friday, March 13th, 2020 we were in a different world. The train parking lots were almost empty, the trains were empty, the sidewalks of New York were empty, and Broadway theater had been closed the night before. Our office ordered pizza in “ for people brave enough to come to work. Quote that was the word of the email that announced the pizza offering. The next day I decided to go to a movie, being fairly certain that would be the last such occasion. I saw “Once We Were Brothers” about The Band. During the movie, I received the officer's email that we were closed effective that Monday. The following Saturday , March 21st, 2020 was rather warm spring day and the tennis courts were full , presumably with people bored out of their minds by the lockdown. The next day cover our villages mayor locked the tennis courts. When I wrote to ask why the residents were being “punished” his answer was that the tennis balls might carry COVID.

I describe the conditions not to Digress come up to set the scene. This book was all about social media and government engendered panic that led to the destruction of a lot of social values. The author describes, through descriptions of interviews and writings by the courageous dissidents of the panic come over reaction and affect of that maelstrom. I personally was regarded as mentally unstable by questioning, even to close friends, the insanity of the Times. I do not want to spoil the book but I will let you in on the ending; The author ends to a citation of The Rolling Stones great song “You Can't Always Get What You Want,” To make free point that life is governed by choices, and should not be governed by diktat coming from not particularly gifted, compassionate were caring government officials. Governments throughout the world, with certain courageous exceptions as Sweden and South Dakota, we're not willing to let people make adult choices; and either did those officials.

I will have a lot more to say on other threads and in other places.

Last edited by jbgusa; 12-17-2023 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 06:01 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
Pandora's Box (How guts, guile, and greed upended TV) (Peter Biskind)

The chronology of how HBO programming transformed the medium of TV. And in the author's opinion, made TV a more serious art form than modern movies.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
I've just started "The Mysterious Case of Rudolf Diesel". Recommended today by Megyn Kelly, a new release.

Describes the inventor of the diesel engine, and how prior to WW1 he suddenly went missing. Had many enemies in very high places.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:46 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
Frozen In Time (Mitchell Zuckoff)

Account of a WW2 American plane that went down over Greenland in 1942. The efforts to rescue its crew from the treacherous conditions on the ground there.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:17 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times
"Pearl" by John Malerman

Formerly known as "The Day of the Pig". If you have ever worried that pigs might become prescient and telepathic and might one day take over the world - this is the book for you.

The writing gets a little loose toward the end, but if you enjoy unusual horror themes, this book is well worth reading.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:33 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,000,552 times
So many books, so little time.

Almost every post here and I think "I'm adding that one to the list". The list is loooong.

Old 12-22-2023, 03:36 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
After reading and really enjoying, The Railway Children, I read The Doll House by Fiona Davis. It was her first book, I believe, and while it was an easy read and a good read, it wasn't a great one. I read it for book club and everyone pretty much felt the same way- a 3 star read . I had read The Address by the author and that was really memorable. I know she has a new one out now, The Spectacular and I look forward to reading that one. All her books are centered around a building- the Barbizon Hotel for Women, , The Dakota, Radio City Music Hall.

On a totally different road, I read Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E Frankl. I had been wanting to read it for years and finally did. It's definitely a book worth reading and I think re-reading. It doesn't lend itself to rating in my opinion. It is one of those books that I've heard referred to over the years, as a book that impacted so many people.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:56 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Just finished Lessons in Chemistry--a very fine book (fiction) which was made into an Apple TV series...the series was good; book is better, imho. Anyone (especially women) who's experienced gender discrimination in the 50s, 60s, 70s will love this book.

Now started reading Ultra-Processed People by Chris Van Tulleken.(non-fiction) What an eye-opener!! If you eat any fast food or grocery store food that comes in a package, this is for you. Yikes!

Old 12-22-2023, 08:36 AM

1,867 posts, read 881,736 times
I am starting a re-read of Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. I've had the books since the 80s and I've had replace two of them as their spines broke over the years.

Old 12-22-2023, 04:33 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,000,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Now started reading Ultra-Processed People by Chris Van Tulleken.(non-fiction) What an eye-opener!! If you eat any fast food or grocery store food that comes in a package, this is for you. Yikes!
Added to the list. For some reason I enjoy reading non-fiction journalistic and essay-type books about food. I've read Fast Food Nation and similar types. Currently reading It Must've Been Something I Ate by Jeffrey Steingarten and I like his descriptive style and dry humor. All sorts of escapades in search of or attempting to cook exotic and complicated dishes.

Found the book on the free shelf at my library and had never heard of this writer before, but see he's been a food writer/critic for Vogue and NYT for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books