Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2024, 10:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Back to Heiress of Collinwood by Lara Parker for bedtime.

Have toted in "We, the Navigators" by David Lewis https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lewis_(adventurer) for slow times at work........

........get back to Dark Star eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 07:02 AM

832 posts, read 412,794 times
Finished The Armor of Light by Ken Follett https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...armor-of-light

This was by far my least favorite in the Kingsbridge series. This was a 3 star read for me.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:19 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Immoderate Greatness (William Ophuls. 2012)

A brief, but insightful book on the inevitable collapse of each and every human civilization.

Old 01-06-2024, 03:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Autumn Rounds by Jacques Pollin.

A very short, very pretty little book about a man in Canada who drives a book mobile around the country. One day he hears an entertainment troupe performing outside his Book Mobile - jugglers, tight rope walkers, a show dog, singers, etc., and goes on their journey with them.

Really delightful and thoughtful. Translated from French and there are mistakes throughout of spelling and grammar. If you can overlook that, it's very enjoyable.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:55 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Default How Good Do We Have to Be? A New Understanding of Guilt and Foregiveness by Harold S. Kushner

I just finished reading (yes I know I start all my "reviews" this way) How Good Do We Have to Be? A New Understanding of Guilt and Foregiveness by Harold S. Kushner. Just as I did with When Bad Things Happen to Good People, I am giving this a "five." Judaism admits of many points of view on many subjects and Rabbi Kushner's views on many topics align comfortably with mine. He puts it into words better than I can.

I am familiar with his view, for example, that the exit from the Garden of Eden reflects mankind's evolution from being just a higher level of mammal into something unique and important. This is but an example. An excellent book both for Jewish people and those that want to understand Jewish and human perspectives on vital matters.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:22 PM

I read When Bad Things Happen to Good People (Paperback) by Harold S. Kushner in 2013, before I was posting reviews. The book is an excellent discussion of G-d's role or lack thereof in day-to-day life in Jewish terms. I have come to agree with most of the book's precepts, that G-d's role is limited to setting up the world, giving humans more powers than animals or plants, and then letting go. G-d does not cause or prevent cancer or other horrible deaths. By coincidence Rabbi Kushner was apparently the Rabbi that married my natural parents in February 1955. The reason I say "apparently" is that my mother told me he was the Rabbi and a substitute for another Rabbi. I have my doubts because he was a month or two shy of turning 20 at that point. Now a rabbinic student can fulfill this role but apparently not then.

If it possible that another Rabbi, the one who was supposed to officiate, filled out the paperwork and that (soon-to-be) Rabbi Kushner went to the Hampshire Hotel in NYC to officiate a ceremonial iteration of the actual, legal wedding.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:46 PM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I highly recommend- The Secret Life of Groceries: The Dark Miracle of the American Supermarket by Benjamin Lorr. I read it last year and it was a great read. It was so interesting, explaining 7 11 and Trader Joe's and Aldi's and Whole Foods etc etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-G.../dp/0553459392
That sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:18 PM

Default The Bodies of Others: The New Authoritarians, Covid-19 and the War Against the Human

I just finished reading The Bodies of Others: The New Authoritarians, Covid-19 and the War Against the Human. I strongly recommend reading this book. Nevertheless, i'm only giving you the three. There are nuggets of gold buried in the book, as well as stretches of hysteric writing and excessive polemics against the COVID vaccine. I agree with the book to the extent that the lockdowns were caught I fe unnecessary, dehumanizing and very destructive of people with little power to resist. I also agree that people should have questions and resisted, especially as it became clear that there was not going to be any reopening after the initial two weeks to “flatten the curve."

Essentially, the author has the zeal of the converted. Formerly on the far left of the political fringe, she shifted almost to the far right. As good and as useful as much of the material is, her political zealotry And fostering of some conspiracy theories takes some of the worthwhile enjoyment out of the book. To get education in anti lockdown hues I recommend the book that I read about two weeks ago, Blindsight is 2020 by Jessica McCullough.

Old 01-09-2024, 02:56 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Jews and the Civil War (Sarna & Mendelsohn, editors) 2010.

A collection of essays & articles on Jews, Jewish veterans, and Jewish interests, from both sides of the Mason-Dixon. Chapters include: the Hime Front. Jews and Abolition, Jews and Slavery, Rabbis and the March to War. Good holistic overview.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:27 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Symphony of Secrets by Brendan Slocumb.

This a mystery of music and people, a story of now and the 1920’s as two researchers strive to find the truth behind a great Anerican composer’s recently found long lost original piece. The original quintet that had been lost in the 20’s and had taken years to rewrite by the composer. When it’s finally finished and played by the composer before his death, it is not to the expected great acclaim. The researchers have found the discovered original is unlike the composers last rewritten version and matches his earlier works. Why? It’s a good read to discover the truth.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-11-2024 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books