Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2023, 09:30 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,409,630 times

Advertisements

I'm winding down the biography of Ulysses S. Grant by Chernow

and have today started to new ones (I'm getting Kindle addicted but it's an OK vice IMO):

The Story of Russia by Orlando Figes - started it today and will finish it in a week. Very good read.

Also started,

Genghis Kahn: His Conquests, His Empire, His Legacy by Frank McLynn - also a very good read.

The latter will take longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 09:33 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Get the latest book from my favorite author that came out about 10 days ago: I Will Find You by Harlan Coben.

I'm one chapter in and I'm already hooked. With the weather looking iffy the next few days I may be doing a lot of reading and I'll have this bad boy finished by the weekend!
I read the synopsis on this one. It looks good. As soon as I finish the current book I'm reading, I'll see if this one is available. I use my library's digital catalog (with great success) now and don't have to buy one more book to clutter up my place. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'm winding down the biography of Ulysses S. Grant by Chernow

and have today started to new ones (I'm getting Kindle addicted but it's an OK vice IMO):

The Story of Russia by Orlando Figes - started it today and will finish it in a week. Very good read.

Also started,

Genghis Kahn: His Conquests, His Empire, His Legacy by Frank McLynn - also a very good read.

The latter will take longer.
My husband started Grant’s bio after seeing biography on tv
I thought Grant was as dishonest as those in his admin but not so
Apparently very honest man but only thing he was good at was being a general

Old 03-24-2023, 05:09 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I read the synopsis on this one. It looks good. As soon as I finish the current book I'm reading, I'll see if this one is available. I use my library's digital catalog (with great success) now and don't have to buy one more book to clutter up my place. Thanks for the recommendation.
His entire collection is great! If you like this I recommend checking out what else he has to offer! Over 30 titles!

Old 03-24-2023, 05:12 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
His entire collection is great! If you like this I recommend checking out what else he has to offer! Over 30 titles!
I will do that. I've tagged (to hold) the book you recommended. Seems to be popular but I'll check out the rest of Mr. Coben's books, in the meantime.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:48 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
I didn't know she had another book out! I just ordered it! Thanks!
re Maureen by Rachel Joyce.
I finished it ( a very short book) and it was wonderful. I love her writing, especially the Harold, Queenie ( my fave) and now Maureen. I would give it 5 stars. So absolutely beautiful. I hope you love it.
I really like the Music Shop. I thought Miss Benson's Beetle was cute but not on the level of her other books.
I know there's another one, Perfect, which I haven't read and should.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Thought I'd start a fun, quick read after Cuckoo Land....reading "The Woman in Cabin 10" by Ruth Ware. I think the protagonist is a nutter, but we'll see. Have never read anything by this author.

Nothing is going to live up to Cuckoo. Of course, I felt that way about The Goldfinch and then Cuckoo came along
That's how I felt about The Milagro Beanfield War. A truly laugh out loud book. Many people reading it on BART back in the day LOL'ing made me want to read it.

Right now I'm reading The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe. At the same time I'm reading The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict. I switch off according to mood.

Marie Benedict is an author I want to read extensively, from what I can see.

Old 03-25-2023, 01:18 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Get the latest book from my favorite author that came out about 10 days ago: I Will Find You by Harlan Coben.
!
It's great to find a prolific author that's dependable to be good.
He's "kept" as a fill in when other pickings are slim.

The only Marie Benedict I haven't read is the Churchill one. It's just sitting on my Kindle...don't know why I'm hesitating.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Write now I'm reading three:
  1. The American Way of Death by Jessica Mitford
  2. 1969: The Year Everything Changed by Rob Kirkpatrick
  3. Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community by Robert D. Putnam
I'll "review" them as I finish. I am reading The American Way of Death as part of my campaign to clear out, by reading or discarding books that I moved from house to house to house from 1964 on, and from reading The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh in high school in 1974 or 1975. Other books I have recently read in that endevour are The Affluent Society by John Kenneth Galbraith and Seize the Day (Paperback) by Saul Bellow.
I picked 1969 off the library bookshelf, at random, when looking for Bowling Alone. From my recollection, 1969 and 1972 were pivotal years in many respects, both personally and in the world.

I am reading Bowling Alone at the behest of my rabbi, when I expressed concern about the declension of membership over the years, accelerated but not started by the "pandemic."
I finished ##2 & 3, and a few others in between, including Origin Story: A Big History of Everything by David Christian, another Rabbinic suggestion. I have resumed reading The American Way of Death by Jessica Mitford.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:45 AM

829 posts, read 411,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
re Maureen by Rachel Joyce.
I finished it ( a very short book) and it was wonderful. I love her writing, especially the Harold, Queenie ( my fave) and now Maureen. I would give it 5 stars. So absolutely beautiful. I hope you love it.
I really like the Music Shop. I thought Miss Benson's Beetle was cute but not on the level of her other books.
I know there's another one, Perfect, which I haven't read and should.
I'm sure I will love it, I saw that it was super short! Loved the Music Shop! Miss Benson's Beetle was absolutely dreadful and I did not finish it...and Pefect was good, I gave it 4 stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books