Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2023, 06:04 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

Found a book by Sidney Poiter "Measure of a Man" - a spiritual journey. It was on the grocery store bookshelf last time I was there.....and still there, so it was meant for me to read. $1. Don't normally do autobiography type books but I love him, so it's up next.
Reading Cloud Cuckoo Land and am so glad I went back to it. I LOVE IT!!! What a hugely creative read!!! He dedicated the book to librarians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 11:18 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Found a book by Sidney Poiter "Measure of a Man" - a spiritual journey. It was on the grocery store bookshelf last time I was there.....and still there, so it was meant for me to read. $1. Don't normally do autobiography type books but I love him, so it's up next.
Reading Cloud Cuckoo Land and am so glad I went back to it. I LOVE IT!!! What a hugely creative read!!! He dedicated the book to librarians.
I felt the same way about Cloud Cuckoo Land! Amazing depth and breadth for an author to tackle! I almost feel like the struggle to get through the first bits was part of the journey for me.

Will check out Measure of a Man - sounds intriguing.

Old 03-06-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Sounds interesting- especially for some diversions. Will keep it in mind.

I am almost done with Lessons in Chemistry It's been a very good read. It's encouraging that this book as well as Remarkably Bright Creatures which I read right before this, are both "relatively" new, lots of mentions and buzz, and are really good worthwhile books. So many of the current "buzz" books are just borderline ok in my opinion.
Thinking of Verity for example. It was a good read, but I didn't feel that it gave me anything other than some mindless entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong with that, butI don't think in 3 years anyone will be mentioning it.
I had such mixed feelings about Lessons in Chemistry. I enjoyed the quirkiness of the characters and the story, but felt like some of the underlying themes felt so forced. I'm glad I read it though!

Old 03-06-2023, 03:43 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I felt the same way about Cloud Cuckoo Land! Amazing depth and breadth for an author to tackle! I almost feel like the struggle to get through the first bits was part of the journey for me.

Will check out Measure of a Man - sounds intriguing.
One of the reviews of Cloud Cuckoo Land describes it as 'wildly inventive.' That hits the nail on the head. It's the most interesting plot line and story construction. I love it all.

I've heard Mr Poitier speak (on TV) and have always admired his groundedness and perspective on what he considers his blessed life.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:35 AM

101 posts, read 38,161 times
new book by Alexandria Poole about talking cats

Last edited by Koveshnikov; 03-07-2023 at 01:27 AM..

Old 03-07-2023, 10:21 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I have read other books by Mary Alice Monroe, but never read the Beach House series. Crazy, I know. She's the one who got me on to sea turtles on the South Carolina coast. I love her books.

Recommended is Time Is A River, the first one of hers I read. Another very good one is The Long Road Home. Both contains mystery and romance (not the bodice-ripping kind!) I plan to re-read both of those books.

Old 03-07-2023, 02:20 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I usually go for a different kind of historical fiction, but currently I'm reading Jackpot: High Times, High Seas, and the Sting That Launched the War on Drugs. Details the drug trade on the South Carolina coast in the 1970s and 80s.
I stopped reading after the 1st chapter. Not my cup of tea. It wasn't my scene back in the 70's and I'm certainly not interested in reading about it now or ever. Too profane for my taste. Maybe a male who was freewheelin' back then would enjoy the look back.

Old 03-07-2023, 04:12 PM

I just stated Weather by Jenny Offill. So far it’s quick and quirky. Shouldn’t take too long!

Old 03-07-2023, 07:56 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Picked up the Collected Stories of Eudora Welty for $1. Haven’t started it yet.
Did you buy it at a library book sale?

Old 03-08-2023, 07:24 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "Weather" by Jenny Offill https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37506228-weather

I was very entertained by this book. Another short one at 201 pages and easy to read! Baffled by the low ratings on goodreads, I am giving it 4 stars.

"You have to help me, Lizzie, my brother says. I am, I tell him. I am helping you. I sit him on the couch, put on "My Strange Addiction".

Always a soothing hour of television. At Least I don't eat talcum powder, one can comfort oneself. At least I'm not in love with the Verrazzano Bridge."

"Catherine wrote Self Care on my brother's hand in black marker. This is to remind him to go outside more, to eat better food, to step away from the computer."

"As soon as he got back, Ben made me make an appointment to get this mole on my arm checked, I stood there in my dingy bra and Target underwear while the doctor examined me. He was well groomed with a plume of silver-gray hair and an unplaceable European accent. He held a magnifying glass up to my skin. Described every mark on my body one by one: Exceedingly unlikely to be cancerous! Exceedingly unlikely to be cancerous!

He had a melodious voice. I wanted every day to be like this, to begin in shame and fear and end in glorious reassurance."
Yes, I liked this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books