Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 08:02 AM

131 posts, read 659,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Kite Runner one of the best books I have read!!!!! A must read!!!
I agree! My number one favorite.
I read it in less than week.

I am on his second book now... it's wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I just started " The Tenderness of Wolves" and so far I think it is a wonderful read. Extremely Well written, atmospheric and a great plot.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 07-26-2007 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 PM

396 posts, read 464,435 times
Today I started book Harlan Coben ''Promise me'' and I hope this book will interesting.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:54 PM

219 posts, read 717,874 times
I just recently started reading Neurobiology of Disease edited by Alan Pearlman and Robert Collins.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:39 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
I take it you're a college student solidsquid. Sounds like a good read though, haha. I'm reading a book by William Cohan called "The Last Tycoons". It's about the investment bank, Lazard, and their activity in the late 90s. Boring to some, but probably more exciting than a book on Neurobiology to most, hahaha, jk squid.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 AM

264 posts, read 694,759 times
Default Bias vs. objectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalist View Post
the life and death of adolf hitler its biased against him but eh it sucks i cant read a book without the moronic author putting his 2 cents worth in...
Practically any book about Hitler is going to be biased in one way or another, and the great majority of his biographers have a low opinion of him. Some scholars have questioned if an objective view of him is even possible, and many would argue that objectivity would be undesirable even if it were possible.

Of course, the objective mind recognizes that history is written by the victors and that the popular view of Hitler as the embodiment of all evil is propaganda. At the same time, objective persons realize that all rulers are capable of ruthlessness, cruelty, injustice, miscalculation, and waste, Hitler not excepted. While it would certainly be a change to find a Hitler biography untainted by any bias for or against him, any such work would certainly arouse controversy by its very avoidance of judgement. Undoubtedly there would be persons who would accuse the author of bias simply by virtue of his failure to echo their own opinions.

Ultimately, the relative absence of objectivity about Hitler is most likely rooted in the fact that there are a number of questions with which the German leader concerned himself that continue to be relevant to our own day. Issues of ethnicity and national sovereignty, internationalism, imperialism, Marxism, Zionism, and the relationship of the state to individuals and groups continue to make headlines. Hitler has not been dead long enough for his views on such matters--or at least for what we think his views were--to seem entirely unrelated to the issues that we confront now.

While individuals strive to avoid the appearance of an affinity with Hitler's views or policies, this aversion is due more to the pervasiveness of propaganda than it is to any widespread knowledge of his views or policies, or to an understanding of how realistic or unrealistic any of them may have been. Hitler is someone of whom one is supposed to have an unfavorable opinion, no matter how much sense any of his beliefs or actions might have made, so people don't bother considering their possible merits. In so doing, they ironically demonstrate the accuracy of Hitler's own observation that any idea can gain widespread credence if the public is exposed to it often. In this case, the idea that is repeated--usually by implication--is that anything Hitler ever thought or did is necessarily illegitimate. But this is a fact that will interest only the objective mind.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:11 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
Bellinghamite, you pretty much said what I was worried to say. Good job.

So I finished The Last Tycoons, and fully recommend it. Now I'm on to a book called "Money Men". It's about the public officials who battle for control of the US currency, even whilst other much larger problems were going on. Somewhat of an 18th century history book.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM

46 posts, read 438,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
My all time Favorite book is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison.
Wow! My all time favorite book is Song of solomon as well. I cannot believe it when people tell me they didnt like it or it was boring.

Reading now:

1 - water for Elephants
2 - Who Slashed Celanires Throat

Old 08-09-2007, 05:06 AM

404 posts, read 710,855 times
365 ways to save gas.

Leave the Flag at home. Putting a flag on your car so the it flaps in the breeze while driving produces drag and lessens your gas mileage. If you must show you colors, get a bumper sticker or decal for the hood.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 AM

324 posts, read 882,969 times
I'm re-reading Wuthering Heights right now. I read it in high school and remember liking it, but not much else about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books