Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 03:08 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Everyone here seem to be serious readers so I'm almost ashamed to post my strictly for escapism/entertainment reads but oh well.
Don't be! Right now, I'm completely into reading for escapism. I've done nothing but go to work and come home for so long that I don't remember the last time I left the city! It's been YEARS! Reading is the only way I can feel like I've gotten away and had a vacation and met new people.

I have my serious books (The Complete Collected Works of Charles Spurgeon) but I also have my fun books. Right now, I'm reading a cozy mystery (subgenre of mysteries) about a woman in Minnesota who has her own cookie/cofffee shop and gets involved with solving murders. It's called Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke. (All of the books in this series are named after a dessert! Another, for example, is called Carrot Cake Murder.)

Cozies are mild-mannered murder mysteries where the murder happens behind the scenes (so to speak) and there's no swearing or sex. The characters are usually pretty quirky, humorous and familiar. The towns are usually quaint, little quiet towns where everyone knows each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Everyone here seem to be serious readers so I'm almost ashamed to post my strictly for escapism/entertainment reads but oh well.
I love to read and I suppose some of my friends think I am a "serious reader" but they don't know that I slip in end-of-the-world books every third of fourth book that I read. Those are my escape books.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Thanks for the acceptance. I'm pretty sure most readers do read for escapism and enjoyment but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post them here.
Maybe I'll get inspired to read something that will exercise my mind a bit more. Probably not a bad idea at my age

Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm almost finished Please Look After Mom.

It's written in a very simplistic way -- maybe because it's a translation? -- but it's quite a deep story.

I didn't think I'd enjoy reading anything on my Kindle (after my last try a few years ago), but I really enjoyed it.

In terms of the book itself, while it was (is) a good story, I'm happy that I didn't drop $10+ on the book. I only have a few pages (I think that's right -- the Kindle tells you the percentage read, not the number of pages). The fact that I'll actually finish it is a good testament to the story (especially because, with a library [Kindle] book, it's so easy to give up on it), but I'd have been disappointed to spend big bucks on it.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Finished!

I know that I said that I wasn't going to read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, but I can't resist her writing. Her short stories made me swoon. So I'm going to try The Namesake. I'll start it later on. I figure that, even if I don't love the story, I'll still love her writing style. At least I hope so.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Finished!

I know that I said that I wasn't going to read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, but I can't resist her writing. Her short stories made me swoon. So I'm going to try The Namesake. I'll start it later on. I figure that, even if I don't love the story, I'll still love her writing style. At least I hope so.
I thought it was wonderful. I find that culture interesting and she really brings the characters to life.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I thought it was wonderful. I find that culture interesting and she really brings the characters to life.
That's what I was counting on!
Despite any bad reviews, I know that I'm going to love it just as much as you did.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:20 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,318,333 times
The help - beautiful book.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,276 times
I'm not into reading (I know I should read more), but I'm reading Leo Tolstoy's Ana Karenina. I have to do a literary analysis for my English Literature class, but I found that I'm actually enjoying it.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
I'm not into reading (I know I should read more), but I'm reading Leo Tolstoy's Ana Karenina. I have to do a literary analysis for my English Literature class, but I found that I'm actually enjoying it.
Tolstoy wrote well. I was afraid to begin reading him back in the day but once I read my first Tolstoy book I was hooked. He's a bit verbose but his character development is exceptional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books