Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times

Advertisements

Winter Moon by Dean Koontz. I am halfway through it, and if a monster doesn't eat someone soon, I am done! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
The Movigoer by Walker Percey. Am about a little over a third of the way into it, and am encountering a growing dissatisfaction with the story. I admire the author's writing style, with its precise observations. However, I am a bit disappointed that it is already clear what will happen to Kate, and equally clear that Binx and Kate will end up together.....its seems rather early to be able to intuit this. I can respect a novel that is essentially about someone's existential "search," and have enjoyed others.....but I am having difficulties with this story now. Its accumulative effect at this point is to seem both overwrought and teminally languorous, a prolonged case of Southern vapors.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just finished The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I loved it. I definitely related to Gogol hating his name for much of his life but, really, the whole story was beautifully told.

Next up? House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. I might not start it tonight or even tomorrow, but start it I will. I'm on a classics mission. Well, I'm on a mission to start on the classics.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
Haha!! I know, it's strange, but it's THAT good! Maybe Tolstoy will convert me into reading novels more often.

Like you, I flew through the book, but these last 60 or less pages I have to read are taking long for me to get through. So far, I have a love-hate releationship with Ana. I loved her at first, but now I really can't stand the way she handled things mainly because she has a son. I don't know what's going to happen with her son, but I feel bad for him and despise her for her wrecklessness. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds!
Oh, I think you have to just quit before the last 50 pages of Anna Karenina. It's just a political diatribe. At least that's how I remember it. The story ends, then he goes off on unrelated topics, so forget about it and congratulate yourself on having finished a classic of Russian literature!

Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times
The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Carter

I've read several chapters, but not finding it very captivating yet. Since it was a NYT best seller for quite a while, I was expecting a lot more than this.

Has anyone else read this? What are your thoughts on it?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:37 PM

Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey by Rachel Simon

That's right. I gave up on House of Mirth. I'm clearly not a classics gal.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I just picked up Riding the Bus With My Sister at a thrift shop, looks good!

I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven...it's not what I thought but it's been interesting. Though, I do believe he's overboard on his criticism of Mormons.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
What a coincidence! I'd never even heard of it -- had you??

Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,083 times
Good Morning, Midnight by Jean Rhys and I'm re-reading *** by Campbell Armstrong.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post

I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven...it's not what I thought but it's been interesting. Though, I do believe he's overboard on his criticism of Mormons.
The book surprised me, too. I'm a huge fan of Jon Krakauer but his vision was too narrow in this book, IMO.

Into Thin Air is an excellent book and he was along for the ride. Into the Wild was also good. Plus, he wrote magazine articles about the Afghan hero, Ahmed Shah Massoud, that were amazing.

Under the banner of Heaven bothered me big time. The stories of the polygamist cults are true but I don't think he did enough to separate the cultists from the LDS church. These cults are banned by today's Mormon church and he did not make that clear enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books