Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 12:24 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times

Advertisements

"The Double Life of Fidel Castro: My 17 Years as Personal Bodyguard of El Lider Maximo" Juan Reinaldo Sanchez. This is quite an interesting book and gives many details about Fidel Castro that I think most people don't know about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 01:08 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
White Knight by Jim Butcher. I'm rereading the entire series in order. Jim Butcher is a wonderful writer.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:40 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
This week I will be reading books that need to be returned to my library and/or a book club book. They are:

14th Deadly Sin
http://www.amazon.com/14th-Deadly-Wo...4th+deadly+sin

The Insanity Plea
http://www.amazon.com/Insanity-Plea-...+insanity+plea

The Sound Of Glass
The Sound of Glass: Karen White: 9780451470898: Amazon.com: Books

And We Are Not Ourselves which may take me longer

I also want to try to get in Merchants of Doubt before it needs to be returned. I may have to renew that one.
http://www.amazon.com/Merchants-Doub...hants+of+doubt

Old 06-27-2015, 05:19 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am going to start this weekend "My grandmother asked me to tell you she is sorry " I hope it is a good one .
Phonelady, I started the same book last night. I'm about 42% through. There is more fantasy than I care for in it but it's well written and I love Elsa and the wurse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished The Santaroga Barrier by Frank Herbert. It was good in a mind altering way with hints of the time I bought a black strobe candle in New Orleans and hoped for Twilight Zone experiences after I lit it.
That experience did not happen but I still thought I was way cool to have bought such a thing while wearing love beads......sigh.

So, I started reading The Truth According To Us and found myself laughing out loud before I completed 1% of the book. Oh, my. I am gonna' love this one. I can tell already. Yippee!
Ketabcha, I absolutely loved the story and it is in first place for my favorite read of 2015. I really got a kick out of this:
Mae thought Jottie would like a locket. "She could put in a picture of each of you girls", she said.
"Or two of me", said Bird.
"Yeah one of the front of your head and one of the back" I said.

I don't know why but that tickled my funny bone to the point that I had tears rolling down my cheeks I was laughing so hard.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:29 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post

Ketabcha, I absolutely loved the story and it is in first place for my favorite read of 2015. I really got a kick out of this:
Mae thought Jottie would like a locket. "She could put in a picture of each of you girls", she said.
"Or two of me", said Bird.
"Yeah one of the front of your head and one of the back" I said.

I don't know why but that tickled my funny bone to the point that I had tears rolling down my cheeks I was laughing so hard.
I can relate, Holly-Kay. There have been several instances when I have laughed out loud. I'm about halfway through it and I already don't want it to end. It reminds me a lot of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. It, too, had me laughing out loud at times and is about a very precocious youngster.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:07 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Finished The second book in the Amish suspense series~ 'Vanished In Plain Sight' by Marta Perry,and it is another 5-star read.

Then after watching the last of the Hobbit trilogy and seeing eye-candy Legolas again,I had a craving for more Elven books and don't know of any besides LOTR where the elves are beautiful and good,and the books are clean.Took a chance on one I found and purchased it for my Kindle[Gabriel (Elven Chronicles series Book 1)by M.A. Abraham]
but it it a total disappointment,because the characters talk like people today! I returned it for a refund.

Not sure what is up next.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I can relate, Holly-Kay. There have been several instances when I have laughed out loud. I'm about halfway through it and I already don't want it to end. It reminds me a lot of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. It, too, had me laughing out loud at times and is about a very precocious youngster.

I did not want it to end either and I loved that book and so far my fave of 2015 as well .

Old 06-27-2015, 07:10 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Potsdam. A new book on the Potsdam Conference.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:19 PM

959 posts, read 75,537 times
Working through The Martian, Andy Weir.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcGee6 View Post
Working through The Martian, Andy Weir.
I really, really enjoyed that book and I did not expect to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books