Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 12:11 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times

Advertisements

What is the APACHE COOKBOOK...?

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Two, if schoolbooks count.

The Apache Cookbook

Further Chronicles of Avonlea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What is the APACHE COOKBOOK...?

[/b]

Probably not what you think, I realized after I wrote my post.

Apache is the name of the most widely used internet server management software. The book gives "recipes" for common programming challenges.

But I do read cookbooks for fun! Here's a reco of one that's fun to read AND cook from: Beans, Greens, and Sweet Georgia Peaches.

https://www.amazon.com/Beans-Greens-.../dp/0762792124

Old 10-13-2017, 05:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Probably not what you think, I realized after I wrote my post.

Apache is the name of the most widely used internet server management software. The book gives "recipes" for common programming challenges.

But I do read cookbooks for fun! Here's a reco of one that's fun to read AND cook from: Beans, Greens, and Sweet Georgia Peaches.

https://www.amazon.com/Beans-Greens-.../dp/0762792124

Oops...I thought you also meant cooking

Hey Dawn I am finally reading Come, Thou Tortoise I also started Silent Scream (D.I. Kim Stone #1)
by Angela Marsons which is a first in the series thriller. It is also 99 cents for kindle owners if you are interested. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-silent-scream

Old 10-13-2017, 06:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Hey Dawn I am finally reading Come, Thou Tortoise
You are?!?! I'm so excited for you!!!

It's a tough book to find, sometimes. It's from a small publishing house, and a Canadian one at that. I have a total of ZERO* books in paper -- every time I move, I donate more of them. Prior to my last move, I donated the last of them and, inadvertently, included Come, Thou Tortoise in that bunch. It's on my shopping list to buy another. I always meant to always keep that book. Luckily for me, it's in stock in my local bookstore. One of the (few) perks of being Canadian.

*I take that back; I stand corrected. I have The Tennis Partner in paper. I'd just recently ordered it. I will, however, donate it when I'm finished reading it.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Being a tiny bit anal about resading series, I set aside "The Third Victim" to read the earier work "The Perfect Husband." It looks as though October will be Lisa Gardener month for me!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:50 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Wondered if it was something besides cooking...

but I do like to read cookbooks for relaxation.

UOTE=Debsi;49806061]Probably not what you think, I realized after I wrote my post.

https://www.amazon.com/Beans-Greens-.../dp/0762792124[/quote]

Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Being a tiny bit anal about resading series, I set aside "The Third Victim" to read the earier work "The Perfect Husband." It looks as though October will be Lisa Gardener month for me!
I like her books and prefer to read series in order too.

I recently reread, in order, the entire Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. It's one of my all time favorites. I guess I'd characterize the series as mystery with a little romance thrown in (but no graphic sex scenes). It's not exactly a "cozy mystery" series but it's close. The books take place in the late 1880s through 1925 and center around Amelia and her family who are Egyptologists. A good deal of the books take place in Egypt. The author (who also wrote as Barbara Michaels) had a PhD in Egyptology so the information about the Egyptian civilization is accurate.

If you like historical mysteries, it's a very good series. The books are stand alone so you don't have to read them in order but I think it's better if you do. If anyone is interested, the first book is The Crocodile on the Sandbank. https://www.amazon.com/Crocodile-San.../dp/1455572357

Old 10-13-2017, 04:29 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Now I'm going to put the Eleanor book on my list. I've always said that I thought being killed by a large carnivore would be the way to go. It would be quick and you'd never feel more alive than at that very last minute when you realized what was going on.
I think being eaten by a large carnivore is overrated. A neighbour had a zoo and a lion I got to see close up. And I grew up around bulls and when they swing their heads into your direction and start pawing the ground, it's a little hard to describe the feeling but it wasn't quite being very alive. It was more like you discovered just how fast you could run. I had repetitive nightmares as a kid in which a bull would be after me and at the last possible moment I would fly to the top of a fence post.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think being eaten by a large carnivore is overrated. A neighbour had a zoo and a lion I got to see close up. And I grew up around bulls and when they swing their heads into your direction and start pawing the ground, it's a little hard to describe the feeling but it wasn't quite being very alive. It was more like you discovered just how fast you could run. I had repetitive nightmares as a kid in which a bull would be after me and at the last possible moment I would fly to the top of a fence post.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 PM

Ugh. 14% into The Perfect Husband and it had to go. Mostly for the writing. The content didn't help. Back to The Third Victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books