Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 11:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Just finished "TripWire" by Lee Child--the 2nd in the Jack Reacher series
I have enjoyed the earlier ones more than the later ones --
I have Open Library app--on my iPad--so I had to read the Ebooks vs my browser/on WiFi vs doing a download and reading anywhere
This is free and there are many books--fiction and nonfiction--some older, some newer
Not every edition has an Ebook--
Helps find physical copies in local libraries as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 08:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
I have Open Library app--on my iPad--so I had to read the Ebooks vs my browser/on WiFi vs doing a download and reading anywhere
This is free and there are many books--fiction and nonfiction--some older, some newer
Not every edition has an Ebook--
Helps find physical copies in local libraries as well
Thanks for this. I wonder if my Samsung has a similar app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
... On audio: "A Pale View of Hills" by Kazuo Ishiguro
That one was too wooden in its writing style so I gave it up for this later work, hoping for better. "The Buried Giant" also by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:12 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:

That one was too wooden in its writing style so I gave it up for this later work, hoping for better. "The Buried Giant" also by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Have you read Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go." That is my favorite of all his books. I love the guy.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Continuing on with my love of memoir -- and I've added a bunch more to my "to read" list -- I've just started Arbitrary Stupid Goal by Tamara Shopsin. This also combines my love of NYC, so it feels like it could be a win-win. I have a busy weekend, not much time to read, but this one seems like a quickie and very upbeat.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Have you read Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go." That is my favorite of all his books. I love the guy.
I have not. He's a new author for me. So far I'm zero out of two, "The Buried Giant" isn't keeping my interest, either. There's a long queue for "Never Let Me Go" but it's on my TRL now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Continuing on with my love of memoir -- and I've added a bunch more to my "to read" list -- I've just started Arbitrary Stupid Goal by Tamara Shopsin. This also combines my love of NYC, so it feels like it could be a win-win. I have a busy weekend, not much time to read, but this one seems like a quickie and very upbeat.
And yours too.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I have not. He's a new author for me. So far I'm zero out of two, "The Buried Giant" isn't keeping my interest, either. There's a long queue for "Never Let Me Go" but it's on my TRL now.
Read Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day, in that case. It's stunning. Beautiful. Gorgeous.

Quote:
And yours too.
And if you're looking for a stunning, beautiful, gorgeous memoir, then read Heather Harpham's Happiness: A Memoir: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After. You know that I read a lot of books. But, surprisingly, I've only ever written Amazon reviews for three of them. This is one of them.

But if you're looking for a memoir about NYC, then read E.B. White's (yes, HIM, from Charlotte's Web fame) Here Is New York. "On any person who desires such qwweer* prizes, New York will bestow the gift of loneliness and the gift of privacy." Seriously? How perfect is that line? But I take it back -- it's not a memoir; it's "just" an essay. A gorgeous essay.

*I had to spell that with a "ww" instead of a "u" because CD actually censored it, even with just one "w".

Last edited by DawnMTL; 10-21-2017 at 06:37 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 06:13 AM

385 posts, read 205,536 times
Quote:
I don’t think we've met before. Welcome. Nice to have you here. Looks like you are in the right place! I've never read these authors. Do you have one in particular that you would recommend?
Hello!

While I did not care for the main character in The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey, I find her to be a talented writer. The Sister's Chase by Sarah Healy has been one of my favorite books in a long time. A book I read a long time ago by Khalid Hosseini called A Thousand Splendid Suns is a favorite and a keeper. I usually swap my books, but I held on to that one and plan on reading it again soon.

Thanks so much for the welcome. I LOVE to read books and my daughter does also. Looking forward to adding to my list from what you all read.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Thank you for those. I added a few to my ever growing books to read list. What did you think of The Power and The Dark Lake?
The Power was a quick read and while I did find it an interesting book, it did not have any characters I particularly cared for.

The Dark Lake is not what you think it is about, not really. They do have a murder case to solve and they do solve it but it is mainly about the main character. I found her pretty despicable, but I loved the way the author writes.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I recently finished Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I remember posting she was an author to watch after I read her debut novel. She did not disappoint.
I just completed Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng and I enjoyed her.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:24 AM

I take this back about Arbitrary Stupid Goal: it's not a memoir. It's not a slice of life. Well, I guess it is in that she's remembering stuff. But it's not a linear story. It's vignettes. I'm still reading it because it's entertaining (kinda) but it's not a cohesive story. LFM, I think that you might hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books