Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 11:33 AM

472 posts, read 244,170 times

Advertisements

Ben Coes - Trap The Devil. As a fan of Brad Thor/Vince Flynn/Kyle Mills political thrillers, I'm glad to have found another author I can enjoy in this genre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 01:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've bailed on every book that I've tried to read recently -- Conscience, The Family Tabor, etc., etc., etc., -- and sometime this weekend I'm going to try Meet Me at the Museum by Anne Youngson. We'll see how that turns out. I have several books that I think will be great -- top of the list is Rust & Stardust -- but I'm gun shy about starting (and possibly bailing) on them. I think I'm in an "it's not the book, it's me" situation where NO book will work for me, and I don't want to waste my chance with it.

ETA: For those who might be interested, Rust & Stardust is based on the true story of the kidnapping of Sally Horner and was the inspiration for Nabokov's Lolita. I'm excited to read it. Just not yet...
Self-quoting just to laugh at myself since this whole post went to hell in a hand-basket. I hated Meet Me at the Museum. I got to about 15% and cried uncle. Make it stop. No more. Thank you.

I'll start Rust & Stardust by T. Greenwood next. I have very little faith that any book will work for me now, though.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:50 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Self-quoting just to laugh at myself since this whole post went to hell in a hand-basket. I hated Meet Me at the Museum. I got to about 15% and cried uncle. Make it stop. No more. Thank you.

I'll start Rust & Stardust by T. Greenwood next. I have very little faith that any book will work for me now, though.
Been there done that Dawn! I have to give you credit for persisting and trying to find the one that will turn the corner for you! a few months ago I took off about 3 months and hardly picked up a book. Then I eased back into it and now I am hoping to be on a winning streak.
Let me HIGHLY suggest The Orphan Keeper. Trust me.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:51 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:

I have very little faith that any book will work for me now, though.

Having the same problem at the moment...just can't get into anything...and I have some great books just waiting to be chosen for a read.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I hate when I can't find a book that "clicks". I think a lot of it is we have such a large selection and can change when the mood hits us. I don't remember being like that when I was younger and had one book at a time....

Perhaps, just maybe.... I am less tolerant?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-02-2018, 02:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I hate when I can't find a book that "clicks". I think a lot of it is we have such a large selection and can change when the mood hits us. I don't remember being like that when I was younger and had one book at a time....

Perhaps, just maybe.... I am less tolerant?

Yes, I agree, too many options! But we MUST keep a good stock.
Once it gets cooler, then into winter I sure hope I get back to reading a few books a week...

Old 09-02-2018, 02:08 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times
The Heart of Darkness or The Man in the High Castle. I started with a few pages of each.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:55 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
It was such a beautiful grey day with a little rain and many heavy clouds yesterday. So I lit some candles, got my especially fluffly blanket and read a little. Unfortunately it wasn't for a very long time.

Finished Little House on the Prairie. I do like the stories because of the simplicity of the life they are describing. And the the viewpoint of the little girl is very charming.

Now I'm nearly 100 pages into A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russel. I'm always surprised what kind of books I order on recommendation Surely I've read sometime ago that it's about the end of WWII playing in Italy but the title suggests something completely different. Anyhow, it seems well written but is no easy or quick read.

I'm very glad I've read some really good books over the last weeks. I've had a hard time getting through the books I've read some weeks ago. 1 or 2 stars maximum was really depressing!

Since my quarterly challenge will be fulfilled with A Thread of Grace I'm at a loss what to read next

Old 09-03-2018, 06:31 AM

237 posts, read 124,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Finished Little House on the Prairie. I do like the stories because of the simplicity of the life they are describing. And the the viewpoint of the little girl is very charming.

Do you think the TV series was a faithful portrayal of that kind of life? My late mother loved that show, and my late grandmother was an admirer of Wilder.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:44 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,259 times
Still reading "The mote in god's eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Lot's of hard science, great character development, and very well thought out aliens. I've read this book several times since it was published in 1974. These two authors have written some other books together, but this one is their best IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books