Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 04:22 AM

21 posts, read 11,382 times

Advertisements

inever like to lose my books
The book he bought is my legacy
I add a new one to my library
I also come back to read it another time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 04:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
After reading a book, do you keep it or give it away? In my case, if I read the entirety of the book, that means I love the book, so I keep it.
Or are you half and half? In other words, do you give away some and keep some? And what determines the differentiation?
Well.
I read hundreds of books a year in their entirety, so keeping all of them would be nuts. Not all of them are worth a reread or even a recommendation to others.

Mostly we go to the library.

Sometimes we'll buy if it's a favorite author's new book or not at the library. Kindle a lot if we're going buy.

There are tons of books in boxes that we don't have bookshelf space for yet.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:39 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 1 day ago)

449 posts, read 196,639 times
Lately, I've been sending away books on BookMooch. It's a book trade community. You post a book and earn 1/10 of a point. If you send it domestically, you earn 1 point. If you send internationally, then you receive 3 points. I send domestically at this moment.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:44 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
Lately, I've been sending away books on BookMooch...
Going to give that a try.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:44 AM

271 posts, read 247,952 times
I give them to friends to read.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:07 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
I almost always keep them unless I know somebody who I think will be interested. Most of my newly acquired books are shelved in the guest room and frequently guests will start reading something and take it with them.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:52 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
If I have to buy a book, I use my kindle. I don't have the room or desire to display books. I get library books several times a week, too.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If I have to buy a book, I use my kindle. I don't have the room or desire to display books. I get library books several times a week, too.
Exactly my situation. I used to amass books and would give some to friends, some to whatever little lending libraries I might know about or sell them in basically bulk to used book stores. I got pennies on the doallr but I didn't have the space for them all. I still have some - Dickens has beem a lifelong favorite so I have one copy of each of his books, I have quite s fe cookbooks, which are simply bettr in hard copy, and a handful of others that are either reference books, art books or for some similar reasons made them worth hauling all ovr the country. But it's a vew small number compared to what I read. The Kindle has really been wonderful from that perspective, although I do miss passing a favorite along to a friends I know would like it. But there again all the friends I used to pass along to are on Kindles now too.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:34 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
I just listed a bunch for resale on Amazon. Let;s see what happens. And setting up the seller account was not easy.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:32 PM

885 posts, read 623,973 times
I haven't purchased a book in decades. I'm retired and have to watch my money. However, I regularly check out books from the public library in my city (Chicago).

I have to give credit to the public library's acquisition department. I will look for reviews of recently published books either online or in the newspapers. Then, I check the library's website for titles which I find interesting. More often than not, these newly published books are available or on order at the Chicago Public Library.

In this case, I feel as if I derive benefits for my tax dollars.

Last edited by Nearwest; 11-07-2019 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books