Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 PM

266 posts, read 911,420 times

Advertisements

I love non-fiction! Some of my favorites are already listed: "Tipping Point," "Hot Zone," "Into Thin Air," Bill Bryson ("Walk in the Woods" and "The Lost Continent"). I recently finished "The Glass Castle," which I loved. Also recommend "The World Without Us" and Katharine Graham's autobiography, "Personal History." Oh, I also love "Bowling Alone," although it's very "text-bookish," not for everyone. "All the President's Men," "Geography of Bliss," "The Long Walk," "A Better Place to Live." So many good ones, I could list more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
"Counterculture Through the Ages" by R.U. Sirius (AKA Ken Goffman)
Quote:
As long as there has been culture, there has been counterculture. At times it moves deep below the surface of things, a stealth mode of being all but invisible to the dominant paradigm; at other times it’s in plain sight, challenging the status quo; and at still other times it erupts in a fiery burst of creative–or destructive–energy to change the world forever.

But until now the countercultural phenomenon has been one of history’s great blind spots. Individual countercultures have been explored, but never before has a book set out to demonstrate the recurring nature of counterculturalism across all times and societies, and to illustrate its dynamic role in the continuous evolution of human values and cultures.

"Mavericks of the Mind" by David Jay Brown and the wonderful Rebecca McClen Novick
Quote:
Of course I always enjoy collections of interviews with interesting people, who doesn't?
The other one they did together is good too. The one David Jay Brown did alone...not so much. Sorry Dave!
Interviewing people like:
Ralph Abraham, John Allen, Matthew Fox, Jerry Garcia, Marija Gimbutas, Allen Ginsberg, Nina Graboi, Alex Grey, Nick Herbert, Julia Butterfly Hill, Fakir Musafar, Albert Hofman, Jean Houston, Laura Huxley, Oscar Janiger, Francis Jeffrey, Stephen La Berge, Jaron Lanier, Timothy Leary, Rosemary Leary, John C. Lilly, Terence McKenna, & tons more! Plenty of interesting people I'd never heard of!

Also, I have "The Shalows" by Nicholas Carr on hold at the library.
From the blurb:
Quote:
"Is Google making us stupid? When Nicholas Carr posed that question in a celebrated Atlantic essay, he tapped into a well of anxiety about how the Internet is changing us. He also crystallized one of the most important debates of our time: As we enjoy the Net’s bounties, are we sacrificing our ability to read and think deeply?

Now Carr expands his argument into the most compelling exploration of the Internet’s intellectual and cultural consequences yet published. As he describes how human thought has been shaped through the centuries by “tools of the mind” — from the alphabet, to maps, to the printing press, the clock, and the computer — Carr interweaves a fascinating account of recent discoveries in neuroscience by such pioneers as Michael Merzenich and Eric Kandel. Our brains, the historical and scientific evidence reveals, change in response to our experiences. The technologies we use to find, store, and share information can literally reroute our neural pathways...We are becoming ever more adept at scanning and skimming, but what we are losing is our capacity for concentration, contemplation, and reflection....Part intellectual history, part popular science, and part cultural criticism," blah blah blah... "The Shallows sparkles"...etc etc etc. "....Friedrich Nietzsche wrestling with a typewriter..." yadda yadda yadda...it goes on. Why do they make reviews so long nowadays? Don't they know people don't read anything more than four lines or 140 characters anymore? Sheesh!"

Last edited by brubaker; 07-22-2010 at 02:59 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I love Bill Bryson - DownUnder (I think it was published "A sunburned country in the US) is scarily accurate & hilarious.
As an expat Aussie I second that - SCARILY accurate - but then so is his "The Lost Continent: Travels in Small town America", eerily so.

You have to be careful where you read Bryson as his writings have a tendency to make one LOL for real.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
I like the guy too but sometimes you have to take him with a HUGE chunk of salt.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
The one I'm reading right now - The Unthinkable: Who survives when disaster strikes, and why by Amanda Ripley

Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
A recent favorite is "The Saga of the Mitford Sisters" by Mary Lovell. This isn't a book just for women. Anyone with interest of the WW2 years would also love it. One of the sisters had a relationship with Hitler. I want to re-read it again soon.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 PM

92 posts, read 113,069 times
Deep Survival - Laurance Gardener

Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Recent reads...

Jared Diamond's "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed"

Colin Fletcher's "The Man Who Walked Through Time"

Edward Rice's "Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton"

Old 11-24-2010, 10:55 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
I like Jared Diamond. I'd recommend..

Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed

Guns, Germs and Steel.

If you're interested in business and investing. Charlie Mungers "Poor Charlie's Almanack" (he's warren buffetts partner and a billionaire). Its similar to Jared Diamonds books....he gives you this big overview of the world. He draws on everyone from Cicero, Darwin, Einstein, Richard Feynman, etc.

Jim Rogers has two excellent books about the world. They combine history, economics, travel, socio-political observations. Investment Biker and Adventure Capitalist.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I like Jared Diamond. I'd recommend..

Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed

Guns, Germs and Steel.

If you're interested in business and investing. Charlie Mungers "Poor Charlie's Almanack" (he's warren buffetts partner and a billionaire). Its similar to Jared Diamonds books....he gives you this big overview of the world. He draws on everyone from Cicero, Darwin, Einstein, Richard Feynman, etc.

Jim Rogers has two excellent books about the world. They combine history, economics, travel, socio-political observations. Investment Biker and Adventure Capitalist.
That's interesting you say that because I just bought Guns, Germs, and Steel tonight. Very interesting so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books