Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:02 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
The point of being a liberal is to be openminded towards anything. So if what you say is true then all of those liberals who dont like walmart are hypocrites?
Well, that is certainly what they would like you to believe. Liberals are just as close minded as anyone else when it comes to something they don't like.

Quote:
Thats a pretty heavy accusation, pointing your finger at the liberals when there's poverty, saying its all their fault because they wont allow walmarts to be built. Should they have that authority? i coudnt answer that correct because theres no right answer. There are other public services that offer resources to the poor, but why dont we go to the poor, and ask them whether they'd rather have more public services conservatives try to cut back, or a walmart.
There isnt a huge amount of poverty in boston compared to other cities anyway.
Conservatives make up about 5% of the state governance and yet you are going to blame cut backs on them? C'mon Bostonmania!

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 10-17-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 03:00 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,169 times
Im not blaming them for the cutbacks, but its the fact that theyre trying to make cuts

Old 10-17-2011, 03:20 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times
Okay enough childish partisan bull****...as for the topic:

I hate Wal_mart and I agree with the Mayor trying to keep Wal-Mart out of Dudley Square. That area is slowly being revitalized, and it will do no good having them there sucking away business from the local stores.

On the other hand, there are some vacancies in Downtown Crossing that they could put in a medium sized Wal-mart. It just might help to get more people to that part of the city and it won't destroy the overall atmosphere of the area. It just might work as an anchor to get more people there.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
I'm glad boston doesnt have one. It would change the way i saw the city. in a bad way. Walmart=evil destruction of the smaller businesses around it.
Really? A STORE would change the way you saw the city? So the ghetto's, stores that sells bongs and everything for smoking weed, methadone clinics are ok, but WALMART is bad? I'll keep saving my money while you get raped at Stoppie.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Really? A STORE would change the way you saw the city? So the ghetto's, stores that sells bongs and everything for smoking weed, methadone clinics are ok, but WALMART is bad? I'll keep saving my money while you get raped at Stoppie.
okaaay.
interesting view.
glad you participated in the discussion.
I dont think of walmart as a store, its an evil presence thats corrupting society. so yeah, it would change the way i saw the city.
Are you really taking this seriously?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Screw unions and their want to be gangsta members. Of course not all of them just most. You do the math- Major grocery chain one gallon of milk Six dollars- wall Mart one gal. milk 4 dollars- Sav-a-lot one gal milk 2 dollars. Yea if I got two or three kids at home busting my as# everyday you think I give a rats a## about some union thug and his speed boat payment or his 4 x 4 payment? screw that you can keep your lousy unions I'm going to Wally world with the other white trash.

+1....Classic post!

Unions are good for no business, just like "the mob," once they take a piece you can't get rid of them.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Walmart (and every other big box store) is a category killer. If they enter your market and you are in the same business they will wipe you out (Office Depot vs. local printer, stationary store etc, Home Depot vs. hardware store). Costco (and Walmart's own Sam's Club) can even take a bite out of other big box retailers. They lack character but they save you money (yes on milk too) but they are also hoping you buy a DVD, a new pair of pajamas and anything else you wouldn't have been able to buy at the local grocery store!

Interesting article I read on Costco (they are raising their membership fee $5), they actually make more money on their annual membership fee than they do on anything else they do! $55 dollars per member annually.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
It might interest some people on the board that supermarkets and department stores were viewed the same way when they first showed up as WalMart is today.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times
I'd say the most obvious answer is lack of space. That's a huge amount of space and would require a parking lot/dedicated garage. There's only one Target within the city of Boston; most of these types of stores have to be in the suburbs because of practical concerns. There's a Wal-Mart in Everett or Medford, right?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
I'm sorry but I have never seen an area with a WALMART in it gentrify.

In Florida, most Walmarts are in questionable neighborhoods and I have witnessed all kinds of just strange behavior in and around walmart parking lots.

Anywhere that has allowed a WALMART in has pretty much said "Yup, this area sure can't do any better"

Can we at least push these things to the outskirts of the city.

What about that old vacant movie theater complex at the Cleavland Circle Train stop?

Its been an eyesore for years and that area is accessible via public transport.

But putting a walmart in the historic downtown Boston? Really people? If anything that area will be worse than it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston