Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyyouknow View Post
I'd like to understand the physics of road deterioration. h20 expands in the cold, got it, I figured the water would mostly be out of the cement? Does the snow and salt really do that much damage? really, the roads here are horrible. That allston/brighton strip leading into boston! Jeez./
I understand your feelings. You came from a sunny state to a region known as the rust belt. Yes... roads are damaged here because of the salt... and the past winter was brutal in terms of salt use. Weather has never been one of Boston's attractive things.

Quote:
I'd really like to know how out of towners survive here/
Here are the main reasons of why I stay in Boston:
  • Healthcare in Massachusetts (particularly in Boston) is really good.
  • Good and broad public transportation system (buses, subway and commuter rail).
  • Availability of private transportation (Greyhound, Peter Pan, Amtrak, etc.).
  • Good employment outlook in my field. Unemployment in New England has been steadily lower compared to other regions in the U.S.
  • 95% of my neighborhood is walkable + Boston itself is small in size... not so spread out as Florida where I moved from or L.A. as in your case.
  • Strong gay rights (marriage, anti-hate laws, etc.) although gay nightlife could be more vibrant.
  • Massachusetts is a blue state historically in terms of politics.
  • The historical role of Boston in the anti-slavery movement during the 19th century.
  • Long proven tradition of activism on social issues. I'm not Bostonian and I still feel proud of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpboston View Post
I understand your feelings. You came from a sunny state to a region known as the rust belt. Yes... roads are damaged here because of the salt... and the past winter was brutal in terms of salt use. Weather has never been one of Boston's attractive things.

Here are the main reasons of why I stay in Boston:
  • Healthcare in Massachusetts (particularly in Boston) is really good.
  • Good and broad public transportation system (buses, subway and commuter rail).
  • Availability of private transportation (Greyhound, Peter Pan, Amtrak, etc.).
  • Good employment outlook in my field. Unemployment in New England has been steadily lower compared to other regions in the U.S.
  • 95% of my neighborhood is walkable + Boston itself is small in size... not so spread out as Florida where I moved from or L.A. as in your case.
  • Strong gay rights (marriage, anti-hate laws, etc.) although gay nightlife could be more vibrant.
  • Massachusetts is a blue state historically in terms of politics.
  • The historical role of Boston in the anti-slavery movement during the 19th century.
  • Long proven tradition of activism on social issues. I'm not Bostonian and I still feel proud of it.

Massachusetts is not part of the Rust Belt. The Rust Belt covers western NY, central and western PA, all of Ohio and all of Michigan and parts of Indiana.

I also like your list of reasons you stay in Boston.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Ummm... not so sure about not being part of the rust belt. There's plenty amounts of urban areas with old factories and mills that still have to be made into others. Lowell, Lawrence, Lynn, Fall River, New Bedford, Holyoke, Brockton etc.

"The historical role of Boston in the anti-slavery movement during the 19th century."

Kinda sorta maybe. You do have to realize though that slavery wasn't exactly banned it was simply limited. 13th amendment states unless someone is convicted of a crime they cannot be. So it was basically taken over by the government which was largely used for reconstruction. In Mass there's Masscor (Mass Correction Inc). Prisoners make about $1.50 an hour making product which can often times be purchased by anyone in the state. Now they aren't technically forced but it does exist as a venue.

"Massachusetts is a blue state historically in terms of politics."

that's debatable. Plymouth county nearly went for Bush in 2004. Most of the state is independents that happen to vote for liberals because frankly conservatives don't run. But as social issues have been left aside economic ones are the only ones left and frankly every pension system in the state is not fully funded. It is hardly progressive to raise taxes and regulations which lowers growth and raises unemployment. Mass recently raised the sales tax from 5% to 6.25% and is talking about expanding the bottle bill which again is a regressive tax. It also banned dog racing putting plenty of people out of work. and so forth.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

"Massachusetts is a blue state historically in terms of politics."

that's debatable. Plymouth county nearly went for Bush in 2004. Most of the state is independents that happen to vote for liberals because frankly conservatives don't run. But as social issues have been left aside economic ones are the only ones left and frankly every pension system in the state is not fully funded. It is hardly progressive to raise taxes and regulations which lowers growth and raises unemployment. Mass recently raised the sales tax from 5% to 6.25% and is talking about expanding the bottle bill which again is a regressive tax. It also banned dog racing putting plenty of people out of work. and so forth.
And prior to the recent governor, Massachusetts had four Republican governors in succession.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Well to be fair republican in massachusetts isn't the same technically vs other states. There's always limits to what politically can be done. Just as a democrat in Utah or Alabama is not exactly going to advocate for what would be said in Vermont or Ma.

Even within state there are differences. Western Ma is more to the left then eastern. You can see it in the voting records. Austin Texas is quite different from the rest of Texas etc. I'd recommend a book called The Leftmost City which is about Santa Cruz. It does not have a slant and is more of a historical record and has a climax so to speak during the '89 quake. The conclusion pretty much was that if you want government services they pretty much have to be paid for and a local tax base is the best way to sustainably provide for it.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 PM

457 posts, read 645,752 times
Quote:
So I came here from Los Angeles kicking & screaming due to my spouse's job. Obviously the weather isn't going to sit well with me. My experience has been long and brutal winters, a non-existent spring (mostly rain), humid summers that warrant 2 showers a day with the beauty of the tropics. Fall is so-so but living for fall seems sad.

We actually live in Newton which is 80% white and have had more than enough racist encounters.

While the food scene is growing it's at least 10 years behind the times and the segregation saddens me i.e. no Little Tokyo (downtoan la), Little Saigon Westminster), koreatown, armenian village etc. I have eaten a lot, and I do mean a lot and my decent meals have been few. In two years I've eaten at two-3 places that I would take out of towners to....providing I could find parking.

My experience with Somerville & Cambridge is why don't they just gate the whole town with two entrances/exits where residents show their pass to enter. It doesn't inspire me to check out my new unfortunate home. For the record Somerville is 7.5 miles from my home in newton and to take the MBTA i would have to take 3 busses and 1 train. It would take approximately 75 minutes and cost 11.25. That just seems whacked to me.

Move into town? Well when we first got here my spouses's job put us up in a apt. in Brookline. Another unfriendly parking city especially when out of town guests come to visit.

I don't feel any buzz or excitement and the independent commercial stores are just rundown, terrible looking and full of crap as is the majority of art I have seen which surprises me given all the youth. Having been to Portland Maine recently it seems to me the youth moves up there where it is more affordable? This would go for Portsmouth as well.

Boston is notorious for navigating and I get lost too often (as does spouse) even with a GPS!

On a slightly positive note, when the trees "pop" in the "spring" it is nice and I do appreciate all the parks, walden pond, the audobon parks. the lack of a horizon/mountains makes me crazy and attributes to my lack of a sense of a direction.

I'd like to understand the physics of road deterioration. h20 expands in the cold, got it, I figuredthe water would mostly be out of the cement? Does the snow and salt really do that much damage? really, the roads here are horrible. That allston/brighton strip leading into boston! Jeez.

I could go on and on and on and on.

I'd really like to know how out of towners survive here/
Moved to Salem and joined a coven. Not in that order.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 AM

457 posts, read 645,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
At least Massachusetts is more popular than Connecticut. I heard on NECN tonight a news report that 50% of the residents of Connecticut want to move out of that state.
Really - which parts of Connecticut?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
I lived in a very cloudy place before and I feel Boston has plenty of sunshine! It does not rain too much either. In CA there can be no rain for a whole month in summer, which is totally crappy. Even grass dies.

I do think the roads and buildings are too old though.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM

155 posts, read 136,241 times
Why didn't you choose Winthrop? I moved there seven months ago and I really like it. I left Somerville for Winthrop.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:47 AM

155 posts, read 136,241 times
I understand why respondents are defensive, but I have a serious problem with that attitude and the people who respond with unforgiving commentary. The KNOW IT ALLness of most of the people in Massachusetts are what brings our state down. I want to punch all the citizen police and other friggen pushy know it alls who interfere with me on a weekly basis. Ask yourself if this is you? Look in the mirror and be honest.

Not everyone is like this but those people are so overbearing and prevalent that it is hard to notice the better people.

I AM BORN IN SOMERVILLE AND MY PARENTS WERE TOO. I grew up there when it was Slummerville so don't even question my authenticity. I have traveled the county and a decent bit overseas and I know that most people are nicer than the people in Massachusetts, as far as daily common courtesy is concerned. THINK ABOUT IT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston