Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2023, 09:25 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Youre not this dense.

I said from the get-go the residents had valid, proven, documented complaints and Mayor Wu found a happy compromise last summer.

Not people with hypothetical, haven't happened yet, culturally oppressive, fearmonger complaints. North End is the most unique and old-world neighborhood in Boston that's why it is an anomaly. Its narrow and extremely dense and absolutely not designed to handle 77 Businesses physically out on one tiny street- this has nothingwhatsoever to do with anything that Ive said on this thread. Because nowhere else in Boston is like this. This has nothing to do with having a bar lounge near Ashmont, late night go-karts in Wolcott Square, or an Arcade in Mattapan.. where none of these issues of trash and traffic congestion come into play- but again, you know this already...

Outdoor dining was a privilege and frankly, the North End Business owner treated Wu like sh*t so good for her for pulling the rug from out under them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HASeMG1NYN8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 04:28 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Boston names Corean Reynolds as city’s first director of nightlife economy

For all of its cultural and academic appeal, Boston has long been weighed down by its puritanical late-night scene. The city suffers from a dearth of after-hours locales in its farther-flung neighborhoods and communities of color. The T shuts down at 1 a.m. And happy-hour drink specials were banned 40 years ago.

Now, the Wu administration is taking steps to revamp that reputation.

This is another valid concern. If there were equal access to Bar and Restaurants in Mattapan as there is in West Roxbury or in Roxbury as there are in South Boston then this wouldn't be such a hot-topic issue (84 comments in 6 hours). But the way things are now- everyone knows is inequitable. it's just some people dont care that ists inequitable.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:35 PM

During a virtual press conference, Reynolds said her priorities lie in

-increasing the amount of nighttime options across all 23 neighborhoods of the city

-improving after-hours transportation,

-boosting public safety for those who venture through Boston at night — both for leisure and for work.

“I want Boston and its nightlife economy to have a sense of belonging. I want people to feel as if there’s space for them ... and by them,“ she added. “I hope that I can be that connector, that convener, that liaison in between this administration, the community, and the businesses.”

Segun Idowu, the city’s chief of economic opportunity and inclusion, said Reynolds’s work will extend beyond bars. She will also be charged with involving families and older residents in street life after the sun sets and advancing Wu’s vision for a 24-hour neighborhood downtown.

“Her goal will be to focus on the macro-level on how we create long-term solutions to have vibrant and sustainable nightlife here in the city, and how we’re redefining nightlife to be more than clubs,” he said.

Idowu added that the job will likely be expanded to include a team that oversees nightlife in Boston.

She originally hails from the South Side of Chicago and attended Michigan State University to study urban planning

An Afro-Latina with family roots in Puerto Rico, Reynolds was recognized on El Mundo Boston’s Latino 30 under 30 list in 2022.

Olrie Roberts, owner of ZaZ Restaurant in Hyde Park (and soon, a bar in the Seaport), hopes Reynolds’s role elevates the voices of residents and business owners of color in conversations about creating diverse spaces and expanding liquor licensing. (voices some people here want to silence, ahem...)

“The person responsible should be open-minded and have a different approach[*cough cough*] and a way of doing things that are inclusive to all cultures and races in the city,” Roberts said. “The city is becoming, more and more, a melting pot.”

Scott Feldman, marketing manager for City Winery, sees the appointment of Reynolds as an opportunity for Boston to break out of its rut.

“Boston is one of those old-timey kind of cities where there are lots of rules in place that do not exist in other towns,” he said. “So, the concept of the position is tremendous. The T shuts down early. But there is a lot of opportunity there if people can get to venues, and venues could stay open for extended hours.”

With that flexibility, Feldman added, City Winery could book double shows and bring in more money from alcohol sales — a saving grace after the slower years of the pandemic.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Also the age point is made byy Vincent Lombardi whos legit like 50 years old. It's not a personal point but I know you love taking your shots at me.

Regardless of what you think though-

I'm telling you as someone who knows several people working in Mayor Wu's cabinet- who is talking with them at least once a week- they are going to be catering heavily to people in their 20s. They're not shy about this. They've already had discussions with Lombardi and Sheena (and others)- these people were not chosen at random for this article lol. I asked about this hire and the secrecy surrounding it yesterday.

Sheena also has corporate sponsors with Dozens of corporations in Boston as well as the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce that use her specifically to help attract and retain black talent. Shes got significant contracts with all of them and this is something they work on. Sheena and I are friends on facebook and have known each other since ~2007 when she used to volunteer at Lena Park when I played basketball there in Middle School. Shes in her late 30s.

So if you think they won't cater to "blow-ins" (whom they want to be permanent reisdents) they will cater to

State Street, Wayfair, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Bain Capital, Comcast, Mass General Brighams, Amazon an Draft Kings.

That's just the reality of what IS going to be attempted.
Sheena Collier has the ear of the mayor, i didnt make that up. They're friends. And the ear of corporate Boston.

“I am excited to see Mayor Wu create a position that will be integral to improving Boston's attractiveness as a city for all,” said Sheena Collier, Founder and CEO of Boston While Black. “I have worked with Corean on a number of projects over the years and know that she will bring a thoughtful perspective, putting into action her years of behind the scenes work on Boston's most important issues. I will be looking to her as a key partner in moving Boston forward!”

Old 02-23-2023, 07:21 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Hmm I wonder if they will ever consider making the T run till 2am or making the last CR departure later than 10:55pm lol

Old 02-23-2023, 07:29 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Quote:
Boston names Corean Reynolds as city’s first director of nightlife economy

This is another valid concern. If there were equal access to Bar and Restaurants in Mattapan as there is in West Roxbury or in Roxbury as there are in South Boston then this wouldn't be such a hot-topic issue (84 comments in 6 hours). But the way things are now- everyone knows is inequitable. it's just some people dont care that ists inequitable.
What kind of access is there to West Roxbury? There are 2 or maybe 4 busses that run up Center street?

Old 02-23-2023, 08:21 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hmm I wonder if they will ever consider making the T run till 2am or making the last CR departure later than 10:55pm lol

They already tried similar with the Night Owl service, and it was a failure. I assume the ridership would be even lower if they tried it today,

Old 02-23-2023, 08:47 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They already tried similar with the Night Owl service, and it was a failure. I assume the ridership would be even lower if they tried it today,
Well, more younger people live in the city now and keep in mind, just 5 years ago there was virtually no nightlife in Boston. Things closed from 10-1230 with a few outliers. Ive noticed a stark increase in the amount of restaurants and food establishments that close past 12 now. This was never the case. There are even full style Nightclubs in Boston that were nonexistant in 2015 (ie, The Grand).

Even if it is just two commuter rail lines (Providence and Fairmount), the Red Line and Blue Line running .. and maybe the C Branch of the GL. Something like that. Not all lines, just the lines that would make sense.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:01 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

I thought Night Owl service was attempted multiple times and obviously failed every time.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:15 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well, more younger people live in the city now and keep in mind, just 5 years ago there was virtually no nightlife in Boston. Things closed from 10-1230 with a few outliers. Ive noticed a stark increase in the amount of restaurants and food establishments that close past 12 now. This was never the case. There are even full style Nightclubs in Boston that were nonexistant in 2015 (ie, The Grand).

Even if it is just two commuter rail lines (Providence and Fairmount), the Red Line and Blue Line running .. and maybe the C Branch of the GL. Something like that. Not all lines, just the lines that would make sense.

Hardly anybody uses the T when going out at night anymore. Even people who head home between 11pm and midnight are opting for Uber (if not driving themselves), and trains are pretty empty at that hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston