Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 02:00 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Austin, TX:
Population: 964k
College Students: 160k

Boston, MA:
Population: 650k
College Students: 150k

Austin is a college town, but Boston isn't a college town? Seriously?
I don't really care what people want to define as a "college town." If you think Boston's a "college town," that's fine - you're certainly not the first to feel that way. But Austin and Boston are completely different animals. And I think to most people who have been to both, Austin looks and feels a whole lot more collegiate than Boston.

For starters, Austin's total population is spread over a much larger area. Boston looks, feels, and by most metrics is a much larger urban area. Austin's 320 square miles would swallow literally everything inside of route 128 and still have room left over. You're looking at around 3 million people in the same land area as Austin. And while the student population increases when you add the likes of Cambridge and Somerville, it doesn't increase to nearly the same degree as the overall population.

And while the Boston area does have some areas that are more student-heavy than others, the students (and the universities) are fairly spread out across the core cities. That's not the case in Austin, the student population is far more concentrated. There are 52k students at the University of Texas alone which is right in the heart of Austin, and the heart of Austin is a heck of a lot smaller than central Boston. 6th street in Austin is like the mega version college town bar strip - we don't have anything like it in Boston. The atmosphere is something else. It's one of the largest universities in the country with top ranking football and basketball programs and everything that goes along with that. There's nothing remotely similar in Boston (with all due respect to the Beanpot or the Harvard/Yale game).

Again, if you want to call Boston a college town, that's fun. But Austin is much more similar to a place like State College, PA on steroids than Boston is. It's easy to walk around parts of central Boston and forget that there are a lot of schools and students here. It's not as easy to do the same in Austin. So the notion that the "college vibe" is stronger in Austin is absolutely accurate in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 02:37 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,323,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't really care what people want to define as a "college town." If you think Boston's a "college town," that's fine - you're certainly not the first to feel that way. But Austin and Boston are completely different animals. And I think to most people who have been to both, Austin looks and feels a whole lot more collegiate than Boston.

For starters, Austin's total population is spread over a much larger area. Boston looks, feels, and by most metrics is a much larger urban area. Austin's 320 square miles would swallow literally everything inside of route 128 and still have room left over. You're looking at around 3 million people in the same land area as Austin. And while the student population increases when you add the likes of Cambridge and Somerville, it doesn't increase to nearly the same degree as the overall population.

And while the Boston area does have some areas that are more student-heavy than others, the students (and the universities) are fairly spread out across the core cities. That's not the case in Austin, the student population is far more concentrated. There are 52k students at the University of Texas alone which is right in the heart of Austin, and the heart of Austin is a heck of a lot smaller than central Boston. 6th street in Austin is like the mega version college town bar strip - we don't have anything like it in Boston. The atmosphere is something else. It's one of the largest universities in the country with top ranking football and basketball programs and everything that goes along with that. There's nothing remotely similar in Boston (with all due respect to the Beanpot or the Harvard/Yale game).

Again, if you want to call Boston a college town, that's fun. But Austin is much more similar to a place like State College, PA on steroids than Boston is. It's easy to walk around parts of central Boston and forget that there are a lot of schools and students here. It's not as easy to do the same in Austin. So the notion that the "college vibe" is stronger in Austin is absolutely accurate in my experience.
I would agree. When I think of "college town" I think of those cities who's lifeblood revolves around the campus, and in many cases wouldn't even be much of a town without the college there. These towns clear out in the summer and businesses advertise and cater to college student interests. In many cases, the college is also the largest employer in the city.

Boston doesn't have this feeling outside of some neighborhoods close to the major universities. There are a lot of college students to be sure, but they aren't defining Boston's identity.

In some ways, I even wonder if the large number of higher ed institutions is actually helping to dilute the college town aura because there's no single college that everyone can rally around. Go to a city like Norman, OK and it's very clear who's in charge of that town. Everything about that place screams Sooner. In Austin, It's unequivocally Longhorn territory and every bar and restaurant will remind you of that fact. In Boston? Go NU...er, BU...er BC...er..Harvard...uh, how about Suffolk? Berklee?

As for Austin, I do think it's starting to slide away from that "college town" feel as it continues to grow and will only feel more like Boston as time passes.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:50 PM

968 posts, read 727,107 times
My wife is from TX and went to UT Austin. I'm not even sure how this is debatable, Austin 100% feels more like a 'college town' than Boston. To say otherwise suggests that you've never been to Austin. The entire downtown is burnt orange (literally). I would argue that Austin is becoming less of a college town, btw, as it attracts people from all over, but the feel downtown is unmistakable. I feel similarly about Madison btw, which is the closest analogue that I can think of to Austin - slightly smaller, a lot colder, but otherwise a great comparison (and also a state capitol).

I went to a different Big 10 school that (under any definition) is a classic example of this. Moreso than either Austin or Boston or Madison. The entire town revolves around the school, and when people graduate, they leave. And then they only come back for football games. Very different than what we're talking about here.

Edited to add: looks like the post above me basically says the same thing as I am (probably more elegantly).

Old 02-14-2024, 07:15 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Glad to see reason prevailing.

I would go years without seeing a Boston college play a sport on TV, seeing any apparel or meeting anyone from a campus. Even as a young adult their in 2017 the college scene was wholly irrelevant to me.

And again- obviously nightlife isn't catered to a college crowd is 75% of the college is totally banned from nightlife…

Old 02-14-2024, 07:16 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
No disrespect intended towards anyone involved, but this conversation is one of the silliest I've seen on here.

Boston is indisputably a college town.
Looks like youve run into a lot of dispute by people from there

Old 02-18-2024, 07:50 AM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
No disrespect intended towards anyone involved, but this conversation is one of the silliest I've seen on here.

Boston is indisputably a college town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Looks like youve run into a lot of dispute by people from there
None valid, IMO.

Again, a "college town" doesn't need to fit the stereotype.

What's next? You'll tell me Boston isn't a tourist place?

Old 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I guess Boston is a tourist place...of all the places in the world I'm not sure why someone would choose to vacation in Boston though. Seems like a place to explore if you're in town on a business trip, visiting a kid in college or doing a long weekend maybe.

Boston is more than a college town...that i what people are trying to say.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:51 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,125,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I guess Boston is a tourist place...of all the places in the world I'm not sure why someone would choose to vacation in Boston though. Seems like a place to explore if you're in town on a business trip, visiting a kid in college or doing a long weekend maybe.

Gee I don't know, maybe the fact that is one of the most historically rich cities in the US with some pretty good museums and culture?

Old 02-19-2024, 07:50 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

^Have you walked around the Seaport on an early summer evening? Tons of tourists! We attract families from all over because of the history.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:01 AM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
there's history in places all over the US not to mention to the world. I'm probably bias since I'm from here so it's hard to imagine vacationing here...i just can't see being like, yeah let's spend our week long vacation in Boston. For a weekend, sure. Most people I know are trying to get away from Boston right now to go somewhere warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston