Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2023, 09:37 AM

12,227 posts, read 8,136,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Hardly anybody uses the T when going out at night anymore. Even people who head home between 11pm and midnight are opting for Uber (if not driving themselves), and trains are pretty empty at that hour.
really? isnt that wildly more expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 09:55 AM

23,808 posts, read 18,954,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It is, but this is also a town where people consider a $10 drink to be reasonable. Most typically do share rides though, so that breaks it up a bit.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:12 AM

5,172 posts, read 2,738,133 times
Quote:
Well, more younger people live in the city now and keep in mind, just 5 years ago there was virtually no nightlife in Boston. Things closed from 10-1230 with a few outliers. Ive noticed a stark increase in the amount of restaurants and food establishments that close past 12 now. This was never the case. There are even full style Nightclubs in Boston that were nonexistant in 2015 (ie, The Grand).

Even if it is just two commuter rail lines (Providence and Fairmount), the Red Line and Blue Line running .. and maybe the C Branch of the GL. Something like that. Not all lines, just the lines that would make sense.
Huh? That's been the case for most of my life in this city. It's only very recently that there was less nightlife. Never the case? Lmao

Old 02-23-2023, 10:48 AM

21,798 posts, read 12,960,009 times
Quote:
It's true though when I'm out in Boston me and my friends just drive in from Dorchester. We always find parking eventually. Its nbd.

It's not easy to find but we find it. We usually have a D, leave the car downtown overnight and then someone has to bite the bullet take the T back at 7 in the morning to come to get it. But its fine by us.

Why people think Boston needs the T to be late night is weird. Jus look at Houston, Miami, NOLA Vegas, Phoenix, LA, and Washinton DC. You don't need a subway car at all let alone past 1 am. Albany is open till 4 am..no subway.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
What kind of access is there to West Roxbury? There are 2 or maybe 4 busses that run up Center street?
I meant bars and restaurants. There are more in Westie than in Mattapan (there are not a lot but more).

Access to watering holes, and dining.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They already tried similar with the Night Owl service, and it was a failure. I assume the ridership would be even lower if they tried it today,
No one understood it or knew about it till it was over and it was extemely limited. They trotted it out there so they could get comments like this. It wasn't a real effort.

Federal officials said the MBTA failed to follow civil rights guidelines in its decision to cancel late-night T service.

Federal Complaint Filed Over End of Late-Night MBTA ...

US faults MBTA for ending late-night ride service

From 2014: https://nextcity.org/urbanist-news/c...delphia-boston

In late April, Boston magazine reported the MBTA’s pleasure at its success. The first three weekends saw ever-increasing ridership, reaching up to 19,995 riders between 12:30 and 3 a.m. (The fourth weekend, just before the Boston Marathon, saw a massive decline in ridership — perhaps proof that staying up late and crazed feats of athleticism are not natural allies.)

This summer, there have been between 15,000 and 17,000 late-night rides per weekend (keep in mind that Boston’s huge student population is greatly reduced during these months). In total there have been “well over” 400,000 late-night rides since the program began in March, says Kelly Smith, an MBTA spokesperson, but “the decision to extend late-night service beyond its one-year pilot program has not been made yet.”

All this being said, I don't think its necessary.

And as Massachoicetts said there is more to do at night now than in 2014.

Old 02-23-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Well, more younger people live in the city now and keep in mind, just 5 years ago there was virtually no nightlife in Boston. Things closed from 10-1230 with a few outliers. Ive noticed a stark increase in the amount of restaurants and food establishments that close past 12 now. This was never the case. There are even full style Nightclubs in Boston that were nonexistant in 2015 (ie, The Grand).

Even if it is just two commuter rail lines (Providence and Fairmount), the Red Line and Blue Line running .. and maybe the C Branch of the GL. Something like that. Not all lines, just the lines that would make sense.
Again, your age (even compared to spritely me) is showing. The bolded parts are just 100% false. I was out in Boston in 2015. Back in 2012/2013 there were even a 18+ nights in Boston Rumor and RISE whih was an after-hours 18+ no alcohol club I went to twice. Very easy to access on the orange line at Back Bay I used to just come up from Forest Hill T stop.

RISE didnt close till 6 am and had no dress code.
Meaning you could in theory come in, and leave and do it all on the orange line.

IIRC you were not in Boston at the time, or even 18 years old, no? Your general point is good but there a lot of hyperbole.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:41 AM

12,227 posts, read 8,136,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Again, your age (even compared to spritely me) is showing. The bolded parts are just 100% false. I was out in Boston in 2015. Back in 2012/2013 there were even a 18+ nights in Boston Rumor and RISE whih was an after-hours 18+ no alcohol club I went to twice. Very easy to access on the orange line at Back Bay I used to just come up from Forest Hill T stop.

RISE didnt close till 6 am and had no dress code.
Meaning you could in theory come in, and leave and do it all on the orange line.

IIRC you were not in Boston at the time, or even 18 years old, no? Your general point is good but there a lot of hyperbole.
I think the point i was trying to make is since 2018 the amount of nightlife options in Boston substantially increased and more people utilize them. Boston in 2018 was not as lively at 1am as Boston now. In my opinion. Syracuse NY had a better past midnight scene than Boston till recently.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I think the point i was trying to make is since 2018 the amount of nightlife options in Boston substantially increased and more people utilize them. Boston in 2018 was not as lively at 1am as Boston now. In my opinion. Syracuse NY had a better past midnight scene than Boston till recently.
I think overall there are more options than 2018 but not drastically more, itll be better in 2 years. Were still recovering from pandemic losses.

I think there are spots in Boston but Boston's biggest issue is the lack of solid concentrated strips of bars and clubs.

Like a walkable thoroughfare of diverse options that everyone knows they can just go to and find a good time without needing to know a particular spot, event night, dj or club promoter.

The disjointed nature of the nightlife and the lack of drink specials is a real issue. Transit could be a non-factor in comparison.

Also having more places allowed to close at 3 or 4 would give people the ability to bar hop or club hop a little more, thus spending more money, seeing new spots, and increasing fun. Currently due to the disjointed nature and somewhat early closing time there not as much chance for spontaneity, adventure or discovery. And are there enough places to eat and refuel without having to wai 20 minutes in line? No, not near where the action is. There should be food carts out at night, and more fast food open late.

Old 02-24-2023, 08:07 AM

23,808 posts, read 18,954,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No one understood it or knew about it till it was over and it was extemely limited. They trotted it out there so they could get comments like this. It wasn't a real effort.

Federal officials said the MBTA failed to follow civil rights guidelines in its decision to cancel late-night T service.

Federal Complaint Filed Over End of Late-Night MBTA ...

US faults MBTA for ending late-night ride service

From 2014: https://nextcity.org/urbanist-news/c...delphia-boston

In late April, Boston magazine reported the MBTA’s pleasure at its success. The first three weekends saw ever-increasing ridership, reaching up to 19,995 riders between 12:30 and 3 a.m. (The fourth weekend, just before the Boston Marathon, saw a massive decline in ridership — perhaps proof that staying up late and crazed feats of athleticism are not natural allies.)

This summer, there have been between 15,000 and 17,000 late-night rides per weekend (keep in mind that Boston’s huge student population is greatly reduced during these months). In total there have been “well over” 400,000 late-night rides since the program began in March, says Kelly Smith, an MBTA spokesperson, but “the decision to extend late-night service beyond its one-year pilot program has not been made yet.”

All this being said, I don't think its necessary.

And as Massachoicetts said there is more to do at night now than in 2014.

Not sure what you mean by "understood or knew about it". It was no secret, and I always knew about it even though I don't recall ever really using the service

People file civil rights complaints over all sorts of things, especially with any cuts to public transit service. Common sense says that they will disproportionately hit disadvantaged folks harder, that doesn't however mean that the cut service was feasible to operate.

And what does Smith mean by "late night rides"? Like I said, the trains always seem pretty empty after 11pm. Maybe it's different on the B line with all the students, but that would probably be the one exception. Riding the T out to the night spots just isn't ingrained in our mindset here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston