Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 07:51 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Someone said recently that the T ride from Braintree to South Station is now close to an hour. This place is literally run like a 3rd world banana republic.

I was at the Stop and Shop on Morrissey Blvd the other day observing a Red Line train pass by. I swear the train was going slow as a snail as if the driver was peddling the train with a spinning machine. That train used to whiz right by that spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 11:16 PM

1,037 posts, read 679,853 times
I've been defending the T for years, but this is really the last straw for me.

After my last visit to the area, I really can't understand how one of the wealthiest states in the country can't have decent roads or a functional transit system. It boggles my mind!

Is it because Mass taxes are relatively low for a Northeastern state? Is it the money at all? Should Mass raise their taxes to be more in line with CT, NJ or NY? Is it the union? Is it management?

Honestly, I don't care anymore. I just want solutions. I want Maura Healy to go scorched earth who whoever/whatever the problems are, find some solutions and have them implemented as soon as possible. This is a disgrace.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM

181 posts, read 123,886 times
does this extra 20 min include commuter rail?

Old 03-15-2023, 06:21 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post

After my last visit to the area, I really can't understand how one of the wealthiest states in the country can't have decent roads or a functional transit system. It boggles my mind!

Is it because Mass taxes are relatively low for a Northeastern state? Is it the money at all? Should Mass raise their taxes to be more in line with CT, NJ or NY? Is it the union? Is it management?
There is nothing that makes northeastern states inherently more expensive to run than other parts of the country. The Great Plains and Rocky Mountain states have similar weather and climate issues as the northeast, being four seasons with frequent snowstorms. I think the issues are management and government priorities. New Hampshire does not spend nearly as much as Massachusetts despite having similar environmental, historical and cultural factors.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:03 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post

Honestly, I don't care anymore. I just want solutions. I want Maura Healy to go scorched earth who whoever/whatever the problems are, find some solutions and have them implemented as soon as possible. This is a disgrace.
Agree. My last visit I was appalled and as posters like BBMM have seen, I have defended the T to hll and back. This ain't the T I know.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
does this extra 20 min include commuter rail?
no, just the rapid transit (Red, Orange, Blue) and the Light Rail (Green).

But the CR has its own set of issues this year like extremely low frequencies.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:08 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
This recent bout of "slow zones" for track inspections has been exceedingly frustrating. It's taking a stupid amount of time to go one stop (Maverick - Aquarium) and the frequencies are bad enough that trains are filling up so much that people are stuck on the platform. The digital signs have been extremely inaccurate which makes things worse.

I've defended the T in the past, and I generally avoid the repeated piling on since I use it daily and even in an unacceptable state, it's still mostly functional for my needs. But this has tested that. I took the ferry this morning instead and it was much quicker and more pleasant. A decent number of people appear to have made the same choice.

The "reason" the T is in this current state is a lot more complex than just "low taxes" or "[insert my least favorite governor here]." The system has been underfunded for the better part of 50-60 years. That's more about distribution of funds and priorities rather than the amount of tax revenue. Maintenance has been deferred on much of the infrastructure for a similar amount of time with just barely enough being done to keep the system running rather than keeping things in good working condition and future proofing. Political theater has lead politicians at all levels of government to favor "sexy" projects like expensive extensions and station additions/rebuilds rather than investing in direly needed upkeep. The decades old train cars that caught on fire were just the most visible representation of the same issue which permeates all aspects of the infrastructure. Finally, attempts to actually do the right thing have been plagued with mismanagement, delays, and cost overruns (see: CCRC, GLX, etc.). We're talking half a century or more of failures and it's going to take a long time and political will before those issues are fixed. I would assume issues like the current delays are going to happen for some time to come.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:25 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
and even in an unacceptable state, it's still mostly functional for my needs.

Probably because you mostly ride the Blue Line, would be my guess. Try relying on the Red Line, some.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:20 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This recent bout of "slow zones" for track inspections has been exceedingly frustrating. It's taking a stupid amount of time to go one stop (Maverick - Aquarium) and the frequencies are bad enough that trains are filling up so much that people are stuck on the platform. The digital signs have been extremely inaccurate which makes things worse.

I've defended the T in the past, and I generally avoid the repeated piling on since I use it daily and even in an unacceptable state, it's still mostly functional for my needs. But this has tested that. I took the ferry this morning instead and it was much quicker and more pleasant. A decent number of people appear to have made the same choice.

The "reason" the T is in this current state is a lot more complex than just "low taxes" or "[insert my least favorite governor here]." The system has been underfunded for the better part of 50-60 years. That's more about distribution of funds and priorities rather than the amount of tax revenue. Maintenance has been deferred on much of the infrastructure for a similar amount of time with just barely enough being done to keep the system running rather than keeping things in good working condition and future proofing. Political theater has lead politicians at all levels of government to favor "sexy" projects like expensive extensions and station additions/rebuilds rather than investing in direly needed upkeep. The decades old train cars that caught on fire were just the most visible representation of the same issue which permeates all aspects of the infrastructure. Finally, attempts to actually do the right thing have been plagued with mismanagement, delays, and cost overruns (see: CCRC, GLX, etc.). We're talking half a century or more of failures and it's going to take a long time and political will before those issues are fixed. I would assume issues like the current delays are going to happen for some time to come.
The worst thing about the T was the needless FGovernment Center re-do and the equally needless but mandated expansion of the Greenline. The T does these wasteful beautification projects in central areas- but won't electrify the CR, provide rapid transit to the southern half of the city, wont modernize the Mattapan line, won't extend late-night hours, won't perform basic maintenance.

You wee defending it I was dumping on it. I just couldn't square it with what id seen in other cities that were much better the whole time. Seeing the attitude of employees, ease of not paying and generally grime was discouraging from my youth onward.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:25 AM

I wondering what it will take for the T to actually electrify and double track the CR.

The clock is ticking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston