Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2023, 10:58 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
exactly. Doesnt matter if it's less frequent because people in Braintree need it to go to work and otherwise they have cars.

Doesn't matter if its more expensive because the average household in Braintree makes $114k +

and a much smaller share of Braintree commutes via public transit than in Boston. 66% of people in Braintree drive alone to work, 12% take transit. In Boston 32% of people drive alone to work 18% take public transit.
I thought Boston was more along the lines of 36-40% Public Transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 10:59 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
More expensive, less frequent. It's still all around pathetic, however you want to look at it. Over an hour from Middleboro. Over an hour from Southborough. Suburbanites are getting screwed no less than the city folk.
Everyone in Massachusetts gets shafted except for the politicians and a small circle of politically connected elites. The notion that suburbanites have it better than the urban population is false.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:01 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
3This knee-jerk reaction is basically exactly what I referring to. Irrational defensiveness and pocket protector. People keep screaming better management! but its not gonna happen. Same way people scream build more housing and things will be cheaper!- it's not going to happen. You have to know this by now. You have to know why these things will never happen- are you just holding out hope for hopes sake?

So rather than explore alternatives, looking into other reasons why theres issues, or follow proven models elsewhere you just seethe in frustration. And wonder why it won't get better. It's not hard to see.

So keep throwing more money at it (basically the same thing we have been doing over and over again expecting different results???). If I have to choose between getting gouged at the same rate (and getting garbage in return), and getting gouged even more (and getting the same garbage in return)...guess which I'm choosing. Call me a skeptic and pessimist all you want, we'll see who's right and who's wrong in how this new "revenue" translates to better service. More Mass. voters agree with you than with me, btw. as was demonstrated by the tax vote. That includes suburbanites.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:04 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
You consider Somerville and Medford suburbanites?

It's not just people from Braintree and Quincy who rely on the Red Line. The garages at Braintree and Quincy Adams are PACKED with mostly people who drove in from further away. It's a LIFELINE for communities south of the city. Same thing at the Alewife end. And we're not even touching on the commuter rail there, and its shortcomings and lack of investment in existing routes to these communities.
I could get you numbers that prove it is not.

4% of people in Hanover use public transit, 6% in Norwell, 8% in Abington, 9% in Weymouth

These people are on the Commuter Rail.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:06 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
You consider Somerville and Medford suburbanites?

It's not just people from Braintree and Quincy who rely on the Red Line. The garages at Braintree and Quincy Adams are PACKED with mostly people who drove in from further away. It's a LIFELINE for communities south of the city. Same thing at the Alewife end. And we're not even touching on the commuter rail there, and its shortcomings and lack of investment in existing routes to these communities.
yeah a lot of people from Randolph, Brockton and Holbrook use the Red Line.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Everyone in Massachusetts gets shafted except for the politicians and a small circle of politically connected elites. The notion that suburbanites have it better than the urban population is false.

The only real investments I can think of in recent years, are the Green Line Extension and the Silver Line expansion to Chelsea. Chelsea, Somerville and Medford. While not Boston per se, those are all urban communities. What kind of equivalent improvements have been seen outside of 128 in that time span?

Old 03-15-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
So keep throwing more money at it (basically the same thing we have been doing over and over again expecting different results???). If I have to choose between getting gouged at the same rate (and getting garbage in return), and getting gouged even more (and getting the same garbage in return)...guess which I'm choosing. Call me a skeptic and pessimist all you want, we'll see who's right and who's wrong in how this new "revenue" translates to better service. More Mass. voters agree with you than with me, btw. as was demonstrated by the tax vote. That includes suburbanites.
Its not though, we haven't been throwing more and more money at it. Its gone up and down how well we fund this. In theory, you should throw more money as it as the state grows in population, and becomes wealthier though.

"More mass voters agree with you than me"

Yea, you are a suburbanite, duh. Look at the MBTA and housing cost-how is that working out for you?

As i said- the stubbornness and pocket protection isnt going to get you anywhere.

You all can keep wanting Caviar results with pork and bean budgets and mess hall attitudes but its not gonna make your life any easier. Thats not my fault either.

If you get lulled to sleep by a 5% income tax and words "competitive and competent" then okay. Not my business.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
yeah a lot of people from Randolph, Brockton and Holbrook use the Red Line.
Not really. Most people in Brockton use the Bat bus to go to Ashmont, they're not taking the Braintree line. Also, Brockton has three commuter rail stops. Almost no one in Brockton would use the redline.

Randolph, they take MBTA busses or the Randolph Commuter rail Line same with Holbrook.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I could get you numbers that prove it is not.

4% of people in Hanover use public transit, 6% in Norwell, 8% in Abington, 9% in Weymouth

These people are on the Commuter Rail.

OK I'd like to see numbers on where the people boarding at Braintree and Quincy Adams originate. I can guarantee you most are NOT from Quincy or Braintree. The percentages will look small, but it's still a lot in numbers and traffic.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Not really. Most people in Brockton use the Bat bus to go to Ashmont, they're not taking the Braintree line. Also, Brockton has three commuter rail stops. Almost no one in Brockton would use the redline.

Randolph, they take MBTA busses or the Randolph Commuter rail Line same with Holbrook.

Where are you getting these assumptions. A Boston commuter living on the west side of Brockton is not riding BAT to Ashmont. They are driving to Quincy Adams. Maybe with the current state of the Red Line, more will throw in the towel and drive to one of the Brockton CR stops but my point still stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston