Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 AM

91 posts, read 139,168 times

Advertisements

An article that appeared on Yahoo Real estate:

The populations of these metropolitan areas are declining. Here's why.

In a way, it's the same old story: The Rust Belt, comprised of blue-collar cities where the manufacturing industry once dominated, can't seem to find a way to thrive.
Take Pittsburgh. Despite the fact that the city's steel industry began to deteriorate all the way back in the 1970s, the city is still better known for its mills than for its $10.8 billion stake in the technology and life-science sectors, including companies like Bayer, BPL Global and Plextronics.

Same goes for Buffalo, N.Y. Once a great producer of steel and automobiles, the city's bioinformatics research industry is now flourishing. Yet just like Pittsburgh, Buffalo is shedding population.

To continue reading the article click on the link below.

Buffalo's unfair reputation

Last edited by rubybelle; 03-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: corrected title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
There is actually alot of high end businesses in and around Buffalo. People still think about Buffalo as a manufacturing area, some want to see it return to its former stature. But I see Buffalo getting more diversified, but not returning to a major manufacturing center. A diverse city is key to long term success.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
These cities get a bad reputation because the general public are morons that buy into stereotypes and hearsay.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM

91 posts, read 139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
These cities get a bad reputation because the general public are morons that buy into stereotypes and hearsay.
I like Buffalo and I actually like the weather! Okay, I'm not crazy about all the snow, but that's what snow blowers are made for.

I posted the article to hopefully point out to many that even though Buffalo has a bad reputation, it's not nearly as awful as some naysayers would like you to think it is. Perhaps the east side has it's problems, and the city is not a hot bed of activity, but there are many areas that are still wonderful, like Elmwood, Delaware, Allentown, amongst others, and the suburbs of Buffalo are terrific too.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:34 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times
The article drew its information from Forbes.com, a source that frequently puts out information, some of which had been highly questioned elsewhere in this message board. I am surprised to find Providence, RI on the list. True its unemplyment rate is over 10% but that doesn't necessarily mean its a dying city. I was there only a few months ago and its downtown was thriving.

That said, some of the information the article put out about Buffalo may not be necessarily true (whatever their editors say). Be proud of your city, that's all .

Old 03-24-2009, 02:34 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Exactly! What makes it worse is that some of the people from that area buy into it. That can be a problem here in the Syracuse area at times too.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
That #3 picture of Cleveland is horrible. Every town has boarded up windows, but still. They could have taken pictures of Key Tower, the stadium or the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Things Cleveland is known for.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
I just saw that story on Yahoo's homepage now. So glad that it brought to light the fact that it's really an IMAGE problem with these cities and not that they are actually bad places at all. It grinds my nerves how much people in the so called "rust belt" (a term I HATE) seem to just write the area off. Do these cities have some problems? Of course; but so does every other place! Give them a chance for damns sake!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,349,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubybelle View Post
I like Buffalo and I actually like the weather! Okay, I'm not crazy about all the snow, but that's what snow blowers are made for.

I posted the article to hopefully point out to many that even though Buffalo has a bad reputation, it's not nearly as awful as some naysayers would like you to think it is. Perhaps the east side has it's problems, and the city is not a hot bed of activity, but there are many areas that are still wonderful, like Elmwood, Delaware, Allentown, amongst others, and the suburbs of Buffalo are terrific too.
Agreed - if you didn't post it, I sure would have!

Like others said, every city has its problems, and Buffalo has no less problems then the next city. I mean really? Take a look around and see how blessed some of us are to live here. I'm a Buffalonian for life and proud of it. This region always has potential - something cities like New York and Chicago can't really obtain. We have the region, the location, the bones and the history, so it's now time to build and move into the future. Buffalo, NY will be the place to be soon - heck! We've already made it to one of the top 40 places in the world to go in 2009 - rated by Forbes. Things are changing, let's make sure our reputation is too!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:09 PM

229 posts, read 691,489 times
I think they should redevelop the neighborhoods around the HSBC arena, and south of the city, by the lake, and that peninsula the skyway is on also has potential. Most of this area seems vacant, and it could be a trendy area full of condos and lofts. And condos definately could be built right by the skyway, as the area right by the Gardiner Expressway in downtown Toronto shows.

Redevelop this area in general:
Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area