Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 PM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Why is that?

I know that the reason why the car industry went to Detroit was because heavy industry was already there, Henry Ford wanted to set up in Alabama or Georgia because he liked the weather there better, however, being that transportation costs were so high then, he decided to just locate in Detroit. Now we don't have the barrier of the requirement of needing to be near other similar industries since transportation is much faster and much cheaper.

People like the weather in the South, if nothing else, so people have naturally migrated towards there. No you can relocate anywhere in the contiguous US and be able to be anywhere else within 4 hours. The friction of distance is far lower, so people will move where they want, and that simply doesn't bode well for any state in the upper midwest or the northeast.
Actually, Henry Ford liked cheap labor(i.e.-the high Black population). Why do you think he attracted so many Black people to come to Detroit to work? Even posters in the Detroit forum mentioned this was a factor for the car industry. So, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he wanted to set up shop in Alabama or Georgia.

If you think about it, that's why companies have been going to the South even in recent years, due to no unions(or less unionization) and in turn no "protection" for said workers, which wouldn't be the case for Northern states, which have unions or are more unionized.

I think weather plays a part, but it is interesting that people still want to go to places like NYC, Chicago, the Twin Cities, Denver and many other places, in spite of the weather those places have. Maybe it is about what those places offer in terms of quality of life.

Then, to piggyback off of what schayban88, I think the future will be bright again for Northern cities due to the precious resource of water. That alone will play a big part in the country's future as the US grows in population and more people fight for resources in places "Down South" and "out West".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Henry Ford liked cheap labor(i.e.-the high Black population). Why do you think he attracted so many Black people to come to Detroit to work? Even posters in the Detroit forum mentioned this was a factor for the car industry. So, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he wanted to set up shop in Alabama or Georgia.

If you think about it, that's why companies have been going to the South even in recent years, due to no unions(or less unionization) and in turn no "protection" for said workers, which wouldn't be the case for Northern states, which have unions or are more unionized.

I think weather plays a part, but it is interesting that people still want to go to places like NYC, Chicago, the Twin Cities, Denver and many other places, in spite of the weather those places have. Maybe it is about what those places offer in terms of quality of life.
Low taxes and lack of unionization are truly only part of the equation for economic prosperity, and generally only in lower-skill categories. Weather is a non-factor entirely, except in tourism-based economies like Las Vegas and Orlando.

To add to your mention of the continued growth of cities like NYC, Denver etc., is that not only is weather a non-factor, neither are high taxes. These cities prosper because their economies are based on knowledge-based businesses like software, finance, engineering, etc. Companies in these sectors like to be located in cities with an available talent pool, and talent tends to aggregate itself in these cities because of the quality of life and cultural/recreational amenities.

Some big cities in the south have evolved into this type of economy, notably Dallas, Austin, Atlanta and Charlotte, as have some small cities like Richmond and Huntsville.

The small southern cities that tend to attract the factories do so by providing nothing more than lower costs, which is a good growth strategy for those places, but not very sustainable in the long term. This is why many of these places, particularly those dependent on the auto industry are suffering 13%+ unemployment.

Unfortunately, the big economic development problem in Buffalo is that it has not built a knowledge-based economy, nor does it offer low costs.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Low taxes and lack of unionization are truly only part of the equation for economic prosperity, and generally only in lower-skill categories. Weather is a non-factor entirely, except in tourism-based economies like Las Vegas and Orlando.

To add to your mention of the continued growth of cities like NYC, Denver etc., is that not only is weather a non-factor, neither are high taxes. These cities prosper because their economies are based on knowledge-based businesses like software, finance, engineering, etc. Companies in these sectors like to be located in cities with an available talent pool, and talent tends to aggregate itself in these cities because of the quality of life and cultural/recreational amenities.

Some big cities in the south have evolved into this type of economy, notably Dallas, Austin, Atlanta and Charlotte, as have some small cities like Richmond and Huntsville.

The small southern cities that tend to attract the factories do so by providing nothing more than lower costs, which is a good growth strategy for those places, but not very sustainable in the long term. This is why many of these places, particularly those dependent on the auto industry are suffering 13%+ unemployment.

Unfortunately, the big economic development problem in Buffalo is that it has not built a knowledge-based economy, nor does it offer low costs.
With that said, it's not like Buffalo doesn't have the infrastructure for a knowledge based economy and the low costs are only in terms of taxes on companies and property taxes. Buffalo and vicinity have plenty of colleges that could come together to form such an economy. Syracuse is trying to do the same thing with companies and jobs spinning off of the higher educational institutions there. Buffalo can do the same thing. UB is a good research higher education institution, Buffalo State and plenty of medium to small private schools that could also help build this industry up and make it regional. So, encourage input for people affiliated with St. Bonaventure, Niagara, Fredonia and the community colleges too. Here's some examples of what is going on here in Syracuse: The Hub , Syracuse University-JPMorgan Chase Collaboration - iSchool - Syracuse University (http://ischool.syr.edu/prospective/graduate/jpmc/index.aspx - broken link)
:CNY Biotechnology Research Center
Near West Side Story :: Near West Side Initiative, Inc. :: Syracuse, NY , SALT :: Syracuse Art, Life & Tech District :: Home

I think such projects could work in Buffalo, as long as people can use their ideas for the common good of the city and metro area.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
these cities get a bad reputation because the general public are morons that buy into stereotypes and hearsay.

bingo.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With that said, it's not like Buffalo doesn't have the infrastructure for a knowledge based economy and the low costs are only in terms of taxes on companies and property taxes. Buffalo and vicinity have plenty of colleges that could come together to form such an economy. {SNIP}

I think such projects could work in Buffalo, as long as people can use their ideas for the common good of the city and metro area.
Agreed. But it has to "bubble up" and reach critical mass through individual entrepreneurship and risk-taking, which I believe is still sadly lacking on Buffalo culture.

Of course, there are notable exceptions, but I think that a lot of people in Buffalo tend to cling to old-school industrial notions of economic growth and still embrace a fundamental mistrust of business and entrepreneurship, plus lack true activism on the issues that really matter. The local politicians and NYS business policies certainly don't help, but also should not be much of a factor, either.

I'm going to get some disagreement on this, so I will repeat what I said above: there are notable exceptions, but overall, especially among the older residents and the people holding economic and political power, I believe this to be the case.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:46 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Agreed. But it has to "bubble up" and reach critical mass through individual entrepreneurship and risk-taking, which I believe is still sadly lacking on Buffalo culture.

Of course, there are notable exceptions, but I think that a lot of people in Buffalo tend to cling to old-school industrial notions of economic growth and still embrace a fundamental mistrust of business and entrepreneurship, plus lack true activism on the issues that really matter. The local politicians and NYS business policies certainly don't help, but also should not be much of a factor, either.

I'm going to get some disagreement on this, so I will repeat what I said above: there are notable exceptions, but overall, especially among the older residents and the people holding economic and political power, I believe this to be the case.
Somewhere I read that 83% or 5 out of 6 metro Buffalonians have a high school diploma but only 1 out of 4 have a college degree. This correlates with the mentality of individuals who lived during a time when high school diplomas were all that were needed to obtain suitable jobs. It is possible for Buffalo to turn into a highly educated white collar hub, I mean even Boston started out as a manufacturing center before turning around, but you are right in that the mindset of the local populace has to change.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,345 times
That means Buffalo has a lower than average high school graduation rate, but above average college educated. Could explain the lack of well paying jobs somewhat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Educational_attainment.jpg/561px-Educational_attainment.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Somewhere I read that 83% or 5 out of 6 metro Buffalonians have a high school diploma but only 1 out of 4 have a college degree. This correlates with the mentality of individuals who lived during a time when high school diplomas were all that were needed to obtain suitable jobs. It is possible for Buffalo to turn into a highly educated white collar hub, I mean even Boston started out as a manufacturing center before turning around, but you are right in that the mindset of the local populace has to change.
Actually, if that is true, according to this: US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/004214.html - broken link)

it is just below average in both. That depends on the age range of the people in metro Buffalo and the years in which all of the information in question came out. I believe that the information for educational attainment for the Buffalo metro came out in 2000: http://rkn.buffalo.edu/data/getData....100&Region=777

Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
I think partly it is because few people have even heard of bioinformatics...let alone assume that by filling up a U-Haul and crossing the country to move to Buffalo, they can get a good-paying job in the field.

That being said, it is informative to learn from this thread that that particular field does exist and that Buffalo has jobs in it.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,113 times
Canerican, Again like you do in other forums, You sit and dog Buffalo, but then yet you stay. I think I will park it right here in Buffalo because if I am going to struggle, I will do it on familiar turf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area