Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,188 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your feedback.

I will be moving from Colorado.
Buffalo has both bad and good neighborhoods like any other city.
I don't get all this negative comments about this city even from people born and raised in Buffalo.

Am I missing something?!!

TOBEBUFFALONIANSOON

Last edited by TOBEBUFFALONIANSOON; 01-11-2010 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM

726 posts, read 2,148,618 times
I just did the reverse, left WNY for Colorado. Good Luck. I don't know where you're moving from in Colorado but I think you'll be in for a culture shock. Some tips: 1) people will not seem friendly, in fact they will likely seem rude to you, they aren't, it's just the way people are. 2) It is much colder in Buffalo but if you like cool weather it is also cooler in the summer. 3) be ready to experience a whole new level of being a "tax paying citizen". 4) Utilities are much more expensive (budget that in). 5) If you start feeling out of place or lonely head to Canada for some reason Coloradans and Canadians have very similar attitudes and actually use a lot of the same quirky expressions. 6) One thing that is very similar- beer drinking and sports watching. 7) If you're a skiier/boarder......sorry . 8) If you are outdoorsy make the drive to the Adirondacks/Lake Placid region.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I just did the reverse, left WNY for Colorado. Good Luck. I don't know where you're moving from in Colorado but I think you'll be in for a culture shock. Some tips: 1) people will not seem friendly, in fact they will likely seem rude to you, they aren't, it's just the way people are. 2) It is much colder in Buffalo but if you like cool weather it is also cooler in the summer. 3) be ready to experience a whole new level of being a "tax paying citizen". 4) Utilities are much more expensive (budget that in). 5) If you start feeling out of place or lonely head to Canada for some reason Coloradans and Canadians have very similar attitudes and actually use a lot of the same quirky expressions. 6) One thing that is very similar- beer drinking and sports watching. 7) If you're a skiier/boarder......sorry . 8) If you are outdoorsy make the drive to the Adirondacks/Lake Placid region.
Or make the trip here: Enchanted Mountains - Naturally Yours to Enjoy! - Cattaraugus County in Western New York

I know it is different, but it's still close by and available.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I found your points very helpful.
How about the saftey? I Would be working in downtown, Elm and carlton street and live in Amherest.
It is the first time I heard about rudeness of people in Buffalo.
By the way when moved from Boston to Denver, I did not find the friendly enviroment everybody was talking about.
But for sure I will miss the beautiful sunny open sky of Denver.
I am sure you will enjoy Colorado.
My husband and I really liked it here. I move only beacuse of a job offer in Buffalo I could not refuse.
TOBEBUFFALONIANSOON

Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM

TOBEBUFFALONIANSOON: You can also say goodbye to the sun and 50 degree days in January. Buffalo (WNY) is extremely cloudy and rainy compared to CO.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 PM

Amherst is a safe area for the most part. There's one part of it I would not consider safe but judging by the fact your moving across the country for a job I don't think your budget is going to put you in that area. I'm not saying the people are rude I would say more grumpy, impatient. Road rage. When we first came to CO we were just taken aback at how many people smiled and said hello as you walked past. If you have any questions let me know. 57 degrees and sunny. Ahhhhh.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM

I know! I already miss those wonderful winter days in Denver.
I will have more questions down the road I will ask you.
I have lived in Boston and Moscow I know about the endless depressing gray days.
But I plan to enjoy the job and it's benefits then take frequent and short holidays to sunny places!

Right now I am enjoying this wonderful day in Denver, since at the end of the week I will
move
TOBEBUFFALONIANSOON

Old 01-12-2010, 02:39 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
7) If you're a skiier/boarder......sorry .
I don't agree with that at all. There is plenty of decent skiing close to Buffalo. No they are not like Aspen or Breckenridge but they are also a lot closer to Buffalo than any of the Colorado resorts are to the major cities of the Front Range. When I lived in Colorado Springs going skiing was something you had to plan for as most of the resorts are a 2.5+ hour drive (not including the bad weather you are going to be likely to run into once you get into the higher terrain). Living in the Southtowns I can ski every night after work if I feel like it. Proximity & the fact that I can ski any time I want makes up for a lot of what our local resorts lack in other areas.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,642 times
I lived in Colorado for a few years after I graduated from college. At first I absolutely loved it but over time I really got sick of all the brown, dry high desert terrain. First time I visited WNY I absolutely fell in love with all the green & fresh water. Maybe that has more to do with the fact that I grew up in the lush Chesapeake region of Maryland so it may have no influence on you.

I always thought Denver had some serious traffic congestion issues (especially down near the Tech Center). Since I have moved I understand that they have put in some light rail to help fix that problem so maybe traffic is nothing like I remember it (late 90's early 00's)? Buffalo traffic is non existent unless there is a serious snow storm at rush hour or you are in the Southtowns the day of a Bills game.

Amherst is a very safe city. From 96-98 & 00-03 it was ranked as the safest city in the US. In the years that it hasn't been #1 it is usually in the top 5 (and always in the top 10).

Property taxes are much higher here than Colorado. If you are only planning on staying here for a few years it would definitely be better for you to rent as you wouldn't have to deal with property taxes nor would you have to worry about trying to sell the house in a few years. If this is going to be a long term move you can find plenty of areas with decent property taxes in very good school districts, you just have to look around & do some research before you commit to an area. Housing prices for the most part is going to be cheaper. One thing I've found is that you are looking for a decent middle to upper middle class neighborhood it seems to be much more affordable than similar size areas ...... if your income puts you near the top of the food chain you might not find it to be such a deal.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Kissing Bridge isn't skiing. From Amherst to Holiday Valley would take minimum of an hour. I don't know about CO Springs because I don't live there but where I live now I can get to world class skiing in the same time. Nothing I said about WNY was untrue so relax. You don't have to try and put down CO the poster is moving anyway and will form their own opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area