Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:44 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,413 times

Advertisements

Southtowns is the best for an avid skier. Closer to the better resorts for downhill & Chestnut Ridge Park in Orchard Park & Emery Park in Wales allow cross country skiing. Grand Island is about 35-40 minute commute from Orchard Park & Hamburg, of course that depends on weather, accidents, etc.

http://www.erie.gov/parks/emery.asp

http://www.erie.gov/parks/chestnut.asp

WNY Ski Resorts - Buffalo and Western New York Area Skiing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman View Post
Speaking of skiing, how's the cross-country skiing? Are there parks all over Buffalo to xc ski or is it limited? How about around the city, within no more than an hour's drive? And where would you live if you were an avid xc skier and wanted to be within an easy commute of Grand Island (my wife's company has a division there and it would be a good move career-wise). I see from a snow map that south of the city has the most snow. Thanks.
Here's a couple of good maps: XC Ski Map

NY Downhill Ski Map

Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 AM

22 posts, read 55,693 times
Hey, thanks to all for the info.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,190 times
I think Buffalo, NY is a very good city. Buffalo is like any other cities. Buffalo has many great histories behind it because Buffalo is a very old city. Buffalo today, I believe, is getting better in some ways. However, Buffalo still have a lot of work to do ahead. I still live in Buffalo (actually in Hamburg) for 19 years and should explore and learn more about Buffalo. There are many things to do. I hope Buffalo for the best. Buffalo has very nice looking and stylish inside, but outside of the buildings isn't bad (could be better). The suburbs is great, food is good, little expensive to live in Western New York. Sports is good (NHL Sabres is the best!). The weather here have four seasons. The summers depend, sometimes wet and dry, sometimes mild to very warm. In the winter, it's cold and averaging 100 inches of snow. Wanna know the fact? Buffalo has way more sunny days than Rochester, NY. On other side, we need the population to rises again and control economy in Buffalo. However, the future of Buffalo will become better. Few things need to be done right now, there are too many factories (yuck) and it is dirty. Collapse them (considering the environment). Any buildings that is abandon for a long time needs to be remodel or collapse to make new buildings. Create beautiful land scaping and more exciting waterfront plans such as events, Bills stadium closer to downtown Buffalo (more sense), anything we can add. Less salt in snowy weather (don't want Lake Erie to become saltwater). Please don't abandon Buffalo. Please help make this city alive again and nicer.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 10,306 times
Default Buffalo vs Florida

I was born in Buffalo and lived on the west side on Niagara Street. Then moved to Normal Avenue near Grover Cleveland High School and then to the Riverside area. Built a house in West Seneca and now live in Florida,near Clearwater.

No matter what city you live in, there are neighborhoods that are great, and some that are horrible. The west side and Riverside are horrible now. But, West Seneca is still beautiful.

Here in Florida we can go from our $200k neighborhood, and three blocks away it is terrible. It depends on the people who live there. Renters typically let the neighborhood go to pot and the landlords don't care as long as they get their rent.

Still love Buffalo. Best food, nice people, and great sports town.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:18 PM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safeintheharbor View Post
I was born in Buffalo and lived on the west side on Niagara Street. Then moved to Normal Avenue near Grover Cleveland High School and then to the Riverside area. Built a house in West Seneca and now live in Florida,near Clearwater.

No matter what city you live in, there are neighborhoods that are great, and some that are horrible. The west side and Riverside are horrible now. But, West Seneca is still beautiful.

Here in Florida we can go from our $200k neighborhood, and three blocks away it is terrible. It depends on the people who live there. Renters typically let the neighborhood go to pot and the landlords don't care as long as they get their rent.

Still love Buffalo. Best food, nice people, and great sports town.
I thought that the Riverside neighborhood was more hit or miss.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought that the Riverside neighborhood was more hit or miss.

Have you been there recently? As I said in the earlier post, some neighborhoods are ok, some a wreck. Where we lived on Albert Avenue, is very different than when we lived there. And forget Ontario Street.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 8,703 times
I think a lot of Buffalo's issues stem from an attitude problem among the residents. There's entirely too much whining and defeatism. There are so many good things about the city just waiting to be embraced, but we need some of that can-do attitude that is rather lacking. Once the self-esteem is in place, many other good things will fall in line behind it.

Also: we're a northern people and we should embrace the winter. It's part of who we are. Get yourself a warm coat and go enjoy the snow.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindeseher View Post
I think a lot of Buffalo's issues stem from an attitude problem among the residents. There's entirely too much whining and defeatism. There are so many good things about the city just waiting to be embraced, but we need some of that can-do attitude that is rather lacking. Once the self-esteem is in place, many other good things will fall in line behind it.

Also: we're a northern people and we should embrace the winter. It's part of who we are. Get yourself a warm coat and go enjoy the snow.

Good post! Hopefully you'll stick around (the board). We can use some positive people on here.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,500 times
Cool Buffalo-Niagara Falls area is the second-best metropolitan area to, so Buffalo should have a good reputation

The Buffalo-Niagara Falls area is the second-best metropolitan area to relocate to, according to this article . It ranks second to Pittsburgh, probably because of the Steelers' greater success than the Bills .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area