Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM

119 posts, read 245,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I would not date you.

1. There is more to life than work.
2. I don't care for corporate culture.
3. You sound bitter, and judgmental if you are looking down your nose at social workers, teachers and nurses.
4. I also have no desire to be with an over-the-top type A personality.

Right, I'm 22 and bitter already?

No, I'm just stating the facts. I look exactly the same as when I was a cocktail waitress. When I was cocktailing I used to have to swat guys off of me both out of work and at work (customers).

Now, I have worked in an office for almost a year and both in and out of work only unattractive men hit on me, flirt with me, etc. Hot guys check me out when I'm around the building (the building is home to probably 20+ other companies) but thats the extent of it.

I don't look down on social workers or teachers. Some of the best people I know work those jobs but they are typically not Type A's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 AM

52 posts, read 124,433 times
Maybe you smell

Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I don't think women in the corporate world are automatically seen as unattractive. Your description of Type As (which would include you) as neurotic, perfectionist, and high-strung probably has more to do with it. These are not socially pleasant qualities, and as you have observed, Type As might not even like one another.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:46 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micio View Post
I understand that. I'm not talking about being attractive to co-workers, but outside of work. Is it a turn off for a man to ask a woman what she does for work and for her to respond:

"Financial Analyst"
"Auditor"
"Financial Sales"
"Accountant"

etc. These are traditionally male positions that are now 50% taken by young women.

Do most men have a preference for women with traditionally female dominated jobs such as

teacher
nursing
waitress

etc.
If you are a Type A career man who works long hard hours all week and excels at work as a result, which type of woman do you think would be easier to date:

1. An attractive financial analyst who also works long hours all week. He is only available this Tues and Sat, she is only available on Wed... it takes three weeks just to go out on a dinner date.

2. An attractive school teacher who home by 6 pm, who is delighted to accept a dinner date for this Tues.

If you are a professed hard-charging individual who seeks the same in a man, when exactly are you going to date?

The other issue is, a young woman who is in "financial sales" will probably talk a lot about her job because she defines herself by it (just as you have done in this thread). The waitress will not define herself by her job and won't talk much about it. Men aren't attracted to women because of their jobs in the first place, so hearing you discuss it isn't arousing.

I suggest you start thinking about work-life balance now, because if you don't, you will likely end up one of those women in her late 30s and never married. If you don't ever want to marry that is fine, but if you, your career shouldn't be the most important aspect of your life.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:47 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,492 times
No, this is basically the equivalent of a man saying he can't get women b/c he's too nice. Vast majority of women 30+ in the corporate world are married or at have a steady BF. For me, I would be more than ok dating someone in the professions you mentioned, I just don't want an over the top Type A woman, the kind that wants to work 50+ hours a week climbing to the top. Give me a woman who's balanced.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
You are a woman right?
Yes, I am.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
[quote=Micio;28902710]I understand that. I'm not talking about being attractive to co-workers, but outside of work. Is it a turn off for a man to ask a woman what she does for work and for her to respond:

"Financial Analyst"
"Auditor"
"Financial Sales"
"Accountant"

etc. These are traditionally male positions that are now 50% taken by young women.

Do most men have a preference for women with traditionally female dominated jobs such as

teacher
nursing
waitress

etc.

outside of work,,,of course!!! its all interesting careers

I actually like type A personalities, because they dont whine, and moan about the small stuff- most arent overly dramatic, and they shift gears outside of work, and want to let go or let loose..

I once dated a woman that was owner of a construction company....I thought it was great...

Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM

119 posts, read 245,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
If you are a Type A career man who works long hard hours all week and excels at work as a result, which type of woman do you think would be easier to date:

1. An attractive financial analyst who also works long hours all week. He is only available this Tues and Sat, she is only available on Wed... it takes three weeks just to go out on a dinner date.

2. An attractive school teacher who home by 6 pm, who is delighted to accept a dinner date for this Tues.

If you are a professed hard-charging individual who seeks the same in a man, when exactly are you going to date?

The other issue is, a young woman who is in "financial sales" will probably talk a lot about her job because she defines herself by it (just as you have done in this thread). The waitress will not define herself by her job and won't talk much about it. Men aren't attracted to women because of their jobs in the first place, so hearing you discuss it isn't arousing.

I suggest you start thinking about work-life balance now, because if you don't, you will likely end up one of those women in her late 30s and never married. If you don't ever want to marry that is fine, but if you, your career shouldn't be the most important aspect of your life.
Interesting. Are you a man or woman?

[quote=mainebrokerman;28903615]
Quote:
I understand that. I'm not talking about being attractive to co-workers, but outside of work. Is it a turn off for a man to ask a woman what she does for work and for her to respond:

"Financial Analyst"
"Auditor"
"Financial Sales"
"Accountant"

teacher
nursing
waitress

etc.

outside of work,,,of course!!! its all interesting careers

I actually like type A personalities, because they dont whine, and moan about the small stuff- most arent overly dramatic, and they shift gears outside of work, and want to let go or let loose..

I once dated a woman that was owner of a construction company....I thought it was great...

Nice to know.. a construction company? She sounds interesting.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Interesting. Are you a man or woman?
What about my post do you find interesting, and do you have any comments on it? Let's leave my gender out of this for the time being, and get back to the topic (which is a good one).

Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
I'm about to graduate from college and extremely career driven. I don't care if I have to work 60 hours a week to be the best at what I do. I'm a true "type A" personality.

Type A is defined as : highly independent, take charge, decisive, direct, business-like, ambitious, efficient, motivated, persistent, focused, risk taking, practical solution oriented, dislike routine, high achieving, no-nonsense, multitasking, deadline driven and change oriented.

I'm also only attracted to men similar to me. I respect intelligent and savvy men. I'm generally attracted to type A men and men who even exhibit neurosis such as being high strung or a perfectionist.

But from the group of people I know, it seems like most of these men end up with women who have no ambition whatsoever and I wonder if they're attracted to that. They end up with administrative assistants, rich daddies girls who live off trust funds, social workers, nurses, teachers, ex-models, writers, women who went to college but never had careers, etc.

Are professional women in the corporate world not seen as feminine of sexy? In my free time, I dress very feminine and cocktail waitressed for 4 years while in college. When I was cocktailing, I felt like every type of man was attracted to me.

Now, working in a corporate firm doing serious work, I feel like a ghost. Is being a corporate worker and a driven woman unattractive and unfeminine?
Some men have had their azzes handed to them via sexual harassment charges and while some have been warranted others haven't.

I take the same approach while interacting with the opposite sex. Just pure business, maybe a small benign joke or two, but strictly on the up and up.

Has nothing to do with being with attractiveness or femininity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business