Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 AM

8 posts, read 16,911 times

Advertisements

Those are all locations that are moving into larger spots from the old small F21 mall locations.

I just saw a real estate posting for the Yuba City, CA store (which switched right about the same time as SLO) so maybe we could see some action soon. Also saw some surveyors walking in and out of the Borders location and no for lease signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Victorville is even getting Macy's in 2013.

In a very small store of 72,000 sq. ft.

I would like to see Macy's replace Kohl's or Sear's. All That Glitter got booted, so why not boot a larger store.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 PM

All That Glitters got booted to make room for Sports Authority, which is moving their Downtown location into the Borders location, The Bed Store, and All That Glitters. The Bed Store is taking over the former Blockbuster.

Hoping Forever 21 or H&M move into one or both of the Sports Authority's downtown.

(And I believe Kohl's and Sears both own their buildings, so they can't just be booted)

Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
I noticed this was an old thread but it tweaked my interest. Why oh why would anyone want more chain stores on the beautiful central coast. If that is your desire please move to SF or LA.

SLO is a wonderful town and has no need of chain stores. Local stores are so much more interesting and actually support the economy better. IMHO.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm2031 View Post
All That Glitters got booted to make room for Sports Authority, which is moving their Downtown location into the Borders location, The Bed Store, and All That Glitters. The Bed Store is taking over the former Blockbuster.

Hoping Forever 21 or H&M move into one or both of the Sports Authority's downtown.

(And I believe Kohl's and Sears both own their buildings, so they can't just be booted)
Hmmm yes the Sport's Authority locations would definately open up some good opportunities for H&M, Forever 21, and Whole Foods.

Forever 21 moving would be really good, then Macy's could take their old spot.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Macy's kind of suck - Let's put an MSRP of 500.000 dollars on this dress, and then make you think you're getting a good deal when you stack your 10% customer appreciation discount with your 15% Macy's card discount, with your 20% coupon! WooooooW!

God, it's so annoying.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Hmmm yes the Sport's Authority locations would definately open up some good opportunities for H&M, Forever 21, and Whole Foods.

Forever 21 moving would be really good, then Macy's could take their old spot.
I don't think either Sports Authority location is large enough for Whole Foods...the smallest one I've heard of is a little over 15K square feet, but I don't think could compete against New Frontiers in that small of a space, nor are there enough residents Downtown to support it as a "neighborhood market". They know the residents here won't go downtown to fight for parking just to grocery shop.

Whole Foods is no stranger to spending big bucks to open a store where they want and will fight just like Target did in order to do so.

Forever 21 could definitely be cut in half and still be a very large store for them and Whole Foods could open up in the other half.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm2031 View Post
I don't think either Sports Authority location is large enough for Whole Foods...the smallest one I've heard of is a little over 15K square feet, but I don't think could compete against New Frontiers in that small of a space, nor are there enough residents Downtown to support it as a "neighborhood market". They know the residents here won't go downtown to fight for parking just to grocery shop.

Whole Foods is no stranger to spending big bucks to open a store where they want and will fight just like Target did in order to do so.

Forever 21 could definitely be cut in half and still be a very large store for them and Whole Foods could open up in the other half.
I was referring to Forever 21 just up and leaving their SLO Promenade store and moving downtown. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I'm still hoping.

Forever 21 looked at the Mervyns spot and downtown before they took over Gottschalks location.

Monterey, Santa Barbara, and Capitola all have malls and have Macy's and are great coastal communities. SLO doesn't have a mall anymore, but if we just had a Macy's I'd be content.

Now for Whole Foods, I know they looked into going into the Dalidio Ranch Marketplace and build a 35,000 sq. ft. store but they dropped those plans after New Frontiers expanded.

Whole Foods also looked into going into Garden Street Terrace's market site which at the time was around 20,000 sq. ft.

I am not sure how big the larger Sports Authority portion is on Marsh street I believe. I would imagine 15,000-23,000 sq. ft. Davis is opening up a 20,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods and the smallest in California is in Mill Valley at just about 15,000 sq. ft. So 20,000 sq. ft. would be the size needed to compete with New Frontier's.

Now, I really do think Macy's would do better than Whole Foods. If Forever 21 moved to a smaller store downtown, then there would be nothing that could compete with Macy's. Whole Foods would have competition from Trader Joes, New Frontiers, and Fresh and Easy. So a 20,000 sq. ft. store downtown would be needed. Also Sports Authority is next to the parking structure.

Macy's is also in every tier 1 market in California, and in a couple tier 2 markets. The smallest store is at 96,000 sq. ft. and the smallest stores in California are at 100,000 sq. ft. Macy's ALWAYS goes for used buildings or dirt cheap new buildings. That is why Macy's backed out of the Dalidio Ranch project because the city wanted a fancy new building instead of a basic 80s looking building Macy's wanted. When Macy's planned to take over Gottschalks building, the other thing they would have had to pay for was the sign permit and the sign.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Forever 21's sign was taken down recently.....

Old 03-19-2012, 12:32 AM

I think it's possible Forever 21 or Whole Foods will take Sport's Authority's downtown location. If it's Forever 21, then Macy's would probably buy the building from Forever 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California