Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,764,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel123 View Post
The City:

You are very focused on Macy's coming to your town. All I can say is that get Macy's gift cards every year and I feel let down. With a gift card, I feel I have to shop at Macy's. I don't like Macy's. I don't think they are special. You will be fine without them.
Lol, very random because I bagged a Macy's giftcard tonight for a gentlemen at the grocery store I work for.

When I am older I will definately go there. Men's Warehouse and Patrick James which would compete with Macy's are too expensive.

BTW, I only have shopped at Macy's once when I lived in Los Angeles. I bought a DKNY shirt I like for like 10 dollars.

For clothes when I'm older I would go to Macy's, Sear's, Kohl's, TJ'Maxx, and Target. For food at Costco, Trader Joes, and Fresh N Easy. Everything else would be at other stores in downtown and in strip malls.

I can't really say where in downtown I would need something. I only go to downtown for getting coffee or to walk around. I also eat at Chipotle from time to time.

My dad bought a tractor at a store on South Hiquera Street once, so where chains dont sell what ya need Id go there.

In my opinion, most of the resturaunts and clothing stores in downtown I think are overpriced and they charge people for parking. I think tourists, college students, and wealthy people probably shop there the most. With a smaller group of middle and lower class people shopping there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I have taken Wal-Mart into account and don't care that they are not in SLO. They are several cities with strict zoning regulations that have banned Wal-Mart. Monterey, Santa Barbara, Santa Rosa, etc...
Cities cannot "ban" WalMart, that would be illegal because they are discriminating against only one company. They can use regulations to make it tough for WalMart to open, but it has to apply to all companies not one. For example, doing just a maximum sq ft size limit might also prevent someone like Lowe's or Macy's from building a new store.
Quote:
Look, Santa Maria has 100,000 population, 28,905 population from Orcutt, 16,000 from Nipomo, and 7,085 from Guadalupe. That's about 151,000 population. With a Macy's at 150,000 sq. ft.
The Santa Maria Macy's market area currently draws from areas like AG/Grover/SLO/etc also. You cannot look only at the immediate Santa Maria area numbers.

Cannibalizing sales at an existing store by opening a new nearby store only makes sense if both will still be profitable. The number of people around SM is not enough info to know if the area could support a store along with SLO.

Closing SM and replacing it with SLO is not a simple choice. There are costs with closing a store, you don't just lock the doors. One cost involves the existing building in SM, but I don't know particulars there. If SM is leased there is likely a penalty clause if they terminate the lease early (probably a large penalty since anchor stores impact the other stores in a center). If the SM building is owned by Macy's, what would they do with it?

Opening a store this size is a multi-million dollar investment and companies don't like high risk. They look at lots of hard data and alternatives before committing, not just demographics.
Quote:
And I knew F21 in SLO was doing alright.
Isn't that different then what you were saying earlier in this thread?

You started the thread by saying the store was struggling, possibly shutting down, and "Forever 21 didn't really stand a chance". You've also, among other comments, talked just a few days ago about going in the store and no one was there.

So you've been implying and saying the Forever 21 store in SLO was not doing well. Now you say you know that's not true?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
I think tourists, college students, and wealthy people probably shop there the most.
My experience of SLO is that anyone you might meet there who isn't among one of these three groups... is their landlord.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 PM

Well I heard they are doing good, but I dont think F21 is that making that much. I think a smaller store would be better for F21.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm2031 View Post
I work at F21 and we are just fine. The rumors are all false and corporate laughs at the rumors that spread. We are still hiring.

F21 is still fine-tuning it's large format stores and is adding more and more clothes to expand it's demographics and departments.

And for those who are wondering, F21 owns the building...it was the only one out of the batch of Gottshalk's that was owned.

Personally I would prefer we move to Borders after a thorough remodel to match the rest of the chain's stores which are much brighter and decorated a lot more.
I'm still pondering if the store will move. There has been no word in the news yet about whose going to replace Borders except rumors it will be a clothing store.

And let's not forget that the Forever 21 in Hemet closed and I heard some business about the Modesto store doing some changing around.

And it took a while for Macy's to go into Davis.

Sounds like a smaller F21 in SLO would increase profit for that company

I'm pretty sure Macy's is eying the Forever 21 store and other locations as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,965 times
Quote:
I'm still pondering if the store will move. There has been no word in the news yet about whose going to replace Borders except rumors it will be a clothing store.

And let's not forget that the Forever 21 in Hemet closed and I heard some business about the Modesto store doing some changing around.

Sounds like a smaller F21 in SLO would increase profit for that company

I'm pretty sure Macy's is eying the Forever 21 store and other locations as well.
Except Forever 21 owns the SLO store site. Hemet was a lease they did not renew. Supposedly the Hemet Mall may be going thru some changes and F21 decided to get out.

Modesto? No that was a temporary closure for a final remodeling of the old Gottschalks building. F21 reopened in Modesto last month with even more square footage, so the idea of smaller stores is not happening there.
"Only the first two floors had been opened to customers; with the remodeling project, all three floors, covering 154,000 square feet,carry merchandise. Bright lights, chandeliers and gold-embossed mirrors decorate the interior, with pounding peppy music blaring from the speakers"
Crowd packs opening of Modesto's remodeled Forever 21 - Featured Stories - Modbee.com

Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 AM

168 posts, read 554,572 times
Quote:
Umm not that i don't believe, but since i recently went there to visit a few friends, and I know the town "fairly" well, umm when did Macy*s get a store in Davis? Or did i just miss walking and driving around the whole town?

Again.. low on facts, high on rumors...

Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Umm not that i don't believe, but since i recently went there to visit a few friends, and I know the town "fairly" well, umm when did Macy*s get a store in Davis? Or did i just miss walking and driving around the whole town?

Again.. low on facts, high on rumors...
Oh that was a grammatical error. I meant by Davis getting Forever 21 where Gottschalks was. It took Davis a long time to get F21.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:26 PM

3 articles stating that Forever 21 are relocating their stores, some to Borders stores:

Forever 21 is relocating to a new store to serve shoppers in Elizabeth, NJ :: 01/04/2011 :: Jersey Gardens, Elizabeth, NJ

Forever 21 Moving Into Old Border's Location at Pier Park - WMBB News 13 - The Panhandle's News Leader

Forever 21 moving into former Borders store | Lynnwood Today

Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 PM

Well, with Talbots closing Forever 21 and H&M have two spots to chose from when (re)locating in San Luis Obispo.

I'm still hopeful for a Macy's in this county, but I would settle with a Costco and 40,000 population in Paso Robles by 2020.

The current Forever 21 building at 101,000 sq. ft. is the only location a Macy's would work.

I think Macy's won't build a new store. I think Macy's wont go in Dalidio's land and I also think Macy's wont go out on Los Osos Valley Road. Los Osos Valley Road is far off from doing their traffic fixtures and no new developments are allowed in that area until the traffic fixtures have been made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California