Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Like I said before.. Macy's has not point here. Have you been into a Banana Republic? Everything that a Macy's Men section has to offer minus the 40+ year conservative look.

I'm sure Macy's in Santa Maria will tell you anything just to see that 25% coupon in your hand and those DKNY jeans fly off the shelf...
Just trust me, the person who gave me the info knew what he was talking about. I might have just said Macy's Santa Maria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
So the two towns with an overwhelming abundance of a certain ethnic group have a Macy's and SLO overwhelmingly anglo, doesn't.

I never did think of Macy's as upscale, seems we have evidence.
Every Macy's differs. The one in Santa Barbara is very upscale. Check out the Monterey or Capitola Macy's. Which are very anglo. Look, once Macy's replaces Forever 21 or goes somewhere else you will finally stop hearing me preach for one.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I think SLO County shoppers in Paso and north go to Salinas Macy's and SLO and south go to Santa Barbara Macy's. I know the Santa Maria mall is sketchy so I wouldnt be surprised if some people avoid it. Im sure we have alot of online shoppers.
I don't have access to data so I don't know. It just seems a bit much to think they bypass the Santa Maria store to go all the way to SB to shop Macy's.

But without data there is no way for anyone but Macy's to know, so it is important that SLO residents are spending enough money with the company even without a local store. That is why Visalia got a store, many residents were shopping at Macy's in Fresno and Bakersfield. You need to encourage SLO people to shop at Macy's, even in Santa Maria, if you want to attract a store.
Quote:
Forever 21 does not own the building I think. There are several places in downtown where they could find an opening.
Nope. If I remember the bankruptcy auction right, Forever 21 purchased the SLO main store and unless they sold the building recently still own it. Promenade Properties only got control of the old Gottschalks furniture space lease.

Yep just checked the court docs, Forever 21 bought the buildings in SLO, Hanford and Yuba City (the rest were leases they bought).

So what happens there is up to Forever 21. Owning the building changes the decision process vs simply leasing it from someone else.
Quote:
Also, Borders is closing. Forever 21 could take over that spot and allow Macy's to take over the department store space. Rumors has it anyways that a clothing store is looking into Borders spot. This comes from a Borders employee.
The version of that rumor I heard was that H&M or someone else new to SLO might be looking at Borders. We'll have to wait and see.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I don't have access to data so I don't know. It just seems a bit much to think they bypass the Santa Maria store to go all the way to SB to shop Macy's.

But without data there is no way for anyone but Macy's to know, so it is important that SLO residents are spending enough money with the company even without a local store. That is why Visalia got a store, many residents were shopping at Macy's in Fresno and Bakersfield. You need to encourage SLO people to shop at Macy's, even in Santa Maria, if you want to attract a store.

Nope. If I remember the bankruptcy auction right, Forever 21 purchased the SLO main store and unless they sold the building recently still own it. Promenade Properties only got control of the old Gottschalks furniture space lease.

Yep just checked the court docs, Forever 21 bought the buildings in SLO, Hanford and Yuba City (the rest were leases they bought).

So what happens there is up to Forever 21. Owning the building changes the decision process vs simply leasing it from someone else.

The version of that rumor I heard was that H&M or someone else new to SLO might be looking at Borders. We'll have to wait and see.
Well maybe people go the Santa Maria store. But my info came from somebody in Macy's higher up. So if they are looking somewhere it might be the Forever 21 location. The former president of the Chamber Commerce told me all the about Macy's after Gottschalks scenario and he felt Forever 21 wouldn't last forever. And I wouldnt be surprised if we saw H&M come to SLO. Only time will tell. But Nordstrom's Rack and Macy's I think would be a better fit.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM

They are building a new Macy's store in Gurnee, Il at an outlet mall. To be finished by 2013.

I still feel for SLO though, F21 will bounce and Macy's will pick up the store.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 PM

168 posts, read 554,515 times
Why don't you purchase the building from Forever 21 and than lease to to Macy's for the low low price of a $1 and than pay for their TI permit? You can call it your own economic stimulus package

Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Why don't you purchase the building from Forever 21 and than lease to to Macy's for the low low price of a $1 and than pay for their TI permit? You can call it your own economic stimulus package
Better question, why dont you someone who is working and has time to post in my thread.

I wonder, which stores does everyone on this thread support. Forever 21 or Macy's. And if you're an adult who shops at F21 then kinda weird.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM

388 posts, read 849,328 times
Quote:
Better question, why dont you someone who is working and has time to post in my thread.

I wonder, which stores does everyone on this thread support. Forever 21 or Macy's. And if you're an adult who shops at F21 then kinda weird.
What are you getting at here with that comment? That he shouldn't be on the Internet if he has a job??

I don't shop at either one, and I have a feeling that will be the general response you will get because I don't think I have ever seen someone so obsessed over a clothing/department store as you. I think you may have missed your calling as a department store manager...it is obviously your passion to get a Macy's in every small town shopping center.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
What are you getting at here with that comment? That he shouldn't be on the Internet if he has a job??

I don't shop at either one, and I have a feeling that will be the general response you will get because I don't think I have ever seen someone so obsessed over a clothing/department store as you. I think you may have missed your calling as a department store manager...it is obviously your passion to get a Macy's in every small town shopping center.
Macy's is already in almost every large town over 100,000 population or an area with that many people EXCEPT SLO.

Macy's isnt the obsession. The obsession is we finally complete the list of having the most common retailers here. You cant escape it in this area.

Santa Barbara has Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Macy's, Sear's, Nordstrom's, Sak's, and possibley Bloomingdale's soon.

Monterey has Macy's, F21, Whole Foods, Trader Joes.

Ventura has Macy's, Sear's, JCPenney's, Kohl's, Target, 2 Trader Joes, and Lowe's.

Thousand Oaks has Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Macy's, JCPenney's, Nordstrom's, and OSH.

Simi Valley has Trader Joes, two Macy's, Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and Target.

SLO's been developing since 2000 when Costco went in. You had a pro-growth city council and thats why Orcutt Area and Margarita Area plans got approval from the city council. Heck, even this current city council is for the projects. SLO sees the need for tax revenue generation from more people and money generation from the recently built shopping centers.

If you are getting mad at Macy's, then you should get mad at Target or some other store first. At least Macy's is more of an elite store.

Sear's, Kohl's, and JCPenney's are the lower end clothing department stores. Macy's, Nordstrom's, Sak's, Bloomingdale's, and Neiman Marcus are the higher end department stores.

I like chains because they are cheap and offer stuff I like. There are some local places that are as good too.

And there's the also fact that people who dont like chains are the ones who can afford to not shop at them. Local retailers and places of only one in town can high prices, but chains create competition.

Fact of the matter is, if you are rich you will go downtown and if you are middle and lower class you will go to chains unless you are still very liberal and go downtown.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM

388 posts, read 849,328 times
You also have to realize the metro areas of those cities you mentioned are much larger than SLOs. You also have to understand that SLOs population is partly temporary, I don't have the numbers, but I can imagine the population of the city is very different in the summer and during the school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California