Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times

Advertisements

Uhmm, if you want to talk about "most common retailers" that are missing in SLO then you need to be fair and add WalMart and many others that have more store locations than Macy's. WalMart in AG doesn't count. WalMart has no problem building stores close together and probably is interested in SLO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Uhmm, if you want to talk about "most common retailers" that are missing in SLO then you need to be fair and add WalMart and many others that have more store locations than Macy's. WalMart in AG doesn't count. WalMart has no problem building stores close together and probably is interested in SLO.
I have taken Wal-Mart into account and don't care that they are not in SLO. They are several cities with strict zoning regulations that have banned Wal-Mart. Monterey, Santa Barbara, Santa Rosa, etc...

Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
You also have to realize the metro areas of those cities you mentioned are much larger than SLOs. You also have to understand that SLOs population is partly temporary, I don't have the numbers, but I can imagine the population of the city is very different in the summer and during the school year.
SLO's metro still has enough for Macy's.

Macy's wouldnt be interested in SLO or F21's spot if they didnt have enough population.

Paso to Santa Margarita, Five Cities, and Morro Bay and Los Osos with SLO's population is enough to support a Macy's.

And only 6,800 students live in the dorm. The rest of the 45,000 population is included in the census.

Look, Santa Maria has 100,000 population, 28,905 population from Orcutt, 16,000 from Nipomo, and 7,085 from Guadalupe. That's about 151,000 population. With a Macy's at 150,000 sq. ft.

San Luis Obispo (45,119)
Arroyo Grande (17,252)
Grover Beach (13,156)
Oceano (7,286)
Pismo Beach (7,655)
Morro Bay (10,234)
Los Osos (14,276)
Atascadero (28,310)
Santa Margarita (1,000)

That comes out to 144,288 population within a 20 minute drive of San Luis Obispo. And that's not including people living in un-incorporated parts of each town and also not including Templeton and north. Adding the dorm population puts you at 150,000 population and subtracting the people who leave during Summer still leaves alot of population. And the average income in SLO is $60,000 a year.

Tracy, Monterey, and Capitola all have similar small populations that have a Macy's around 100,000 sq. ft.

Last edited by the city; 08-10-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM

168 posts, read 554,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

Fact of the matter is, if you are rich you will go downtown and if you are middle and lower class you will go to chains unless you are still very liberal and go downtown.
This is the dumbest statement I have ever read... what the hell does being a "liberal" have to do with shopping downtown? So if I am a broke conservative does that mean I don't shop downtown? People's shopping habits really just break down into a) how much money they have to spend on what they want to buy and b) a potential or "perceived" preference in the quality of goods purchased at said store, with a usually outweighing b.

I am by no means rich, at times I live paycheck to paycheck because it is expensive to live here, but what I do have preferences in my shopping habits. I tend to shop at Banana Republic (and no I am not a college student, and my fellow co-workers also shop there, as we are pretty much in our mid to late 20's). The shirt and pants combo I have came to $30. Yes, I know they have pants upwards of $80 and shirts mostly around $50, but there is this thing called a "sales rack" where quite frankly, they are pretty much damn good deals every few weeks.

Which brings me to my point, thanks to the recession, most people are seeking the "deals", "sales" whatever you want to call them. People gravitate to prices points, and pretty much this town has a full spectrum. Again, this is a reason why Macy*s has moved in, and you completely missed the whole "opportunity costs" "margins" and "profits" discussion in a basic economics class. A corp like Macy*s has run the numbers. It doesn't matter how many "land use barriers" "lack of land" "regulation" blah blah blah... if they market where here, it would have been done already or quite frankly, ramp up to be done thanks to lower land costs and development costs thanks to the great low bids that contractors have put forth just to put a meal on a table.

Whinning like a little baby will not bring Macy*S to the area... but hey, I hear this thing called the internet can virtually bring an entire store to your computer screen. No foolin'. It also ships overnight so you can have an instant hard on when a package comes. I hear it's called Macy's| Department Store, Dept Store , Department Stores, Clothing, Apparel, Accessories

Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
This is the dumbest statement I have ever read... what the hell does being a "liberal" have to do with shopping downtown? So if I am a broke conservative does that mean I don't shop downtown? People's shopping habits really just break down into a) how much money they have to spend on what they want to buy and b) a potential or "perceived" preference in the quality of goods purchased at said store, with a usually outweighing b.

I am by no means rich, at times I live paycheck to paycheck because it is expensive to live here, but what I do have preferences in my shopping habits. I tend to shop at Banana Republic (and no I am not a college student, and my fellow co-workers also shop there, as we are pretty much in our mid to late 20's). The shirt and pants combo I have came to $30. Yes, I know they have pants upwards of $80 and shirts mostly around $50, but there is this thing called a "sales rack" where quite frankly, they are pretty much damn good deals every few weeks.

Which brings me to my point, thanks to the recession, most people are seeking the "deals", "sales" whatever you want to call them. People gravitate to prices points, and pretty much this town has a full spectrum. Again, this is a reason why Macy*s has moved in, and you completely missed the whole "opportunity costs" "margins" and "profits" discussion in a basic economics class. A corp like Macy*s has run the numbers. It doesn't matter how many "land use barriers" "lack of land" "regulation" blah blah blah... if they market where here, it would have been done already or quite frankly, ramp up to be done thanks to lower land costs and development costs thanks to the great low bids that contractors have put forth just to put a meal on a table.

Whinning like a little baby will not bring Macy*S to the area... but hey, I hear this thing called the internet can virtually bring an entire store to your computer screen. No foolin'. It also ships overnight so you can have an instant hard on when a package comes. I hear it's called Macy's| Department Store, Dept Store , Department Stores, Clothing, Apparel, Accessories
Of course SLO might not have had the numbers. Our population grew from 2000 to 2010 and you might have more people shopping at Macy's stores out of the area. I just think we have enough people now to support a store.

Macy's doesn't usually build new stores, but there is land next to Home Depot and Dalidio's property (which would need to be in the city). Five years down the road Macy's could go in one of those spots. Or Macy's could more quickly acquire Forever 21's store.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:32 PM

388 posts, read 849,150 times
I just caught myself laughing out loud at how this guy is defending to the death his wish to have, of all stores, a Macy's. I'm realizing now that there is no way this is real.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 16,915 times
I work at F21 and we are just fine. The rumors are all false and corporate laughs at the rumors that spread. We are still hiring.

F21 is still fine-tuning it's large format stores and is adding more and more clothes to expand it's demographics and departments.

And for those who are wondering, F21 owns the building...it was the only one out of the batch of Gottshalk's that was owned.

Personally I would prefer we move to Borders after a thorough remodel to match the rest of the chain's stores which are much brighter and decorated a lot more.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM

388 posts, read 849,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm2031 View Post
I work at F21 and we are just fine. The rumors are all false and corporate laughs at the rumors that spread. We are still hiring.

F21 is still fine-tuning it's large format stores and is adding more and more clothes to expand it's demographics and departments.

And for those who are wondering, F21 owns the building...it was the only one out of the batch of Gottshalk's that was owned.

Personally I would prefer we move to Borders after a thorough remodel to match the rest of the chain's stores which are much brighter and decorated a lot more.
And the plot thickens...

Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
And the plot thickens...
I'd "prefer F21 move to Borders after a thorough remodel to match the rest of the chain's stores which are much brighter and decorated a lot more" too.

According to the person I talk to in high position for Macy's, Macy's is pursuing the location but there is some slag on the other end.

And I knew F21 in SLO was doing alright. I talked to someone from Sear's and Sear's said they are closing some stores, but their store got re-financed and they said F21 was doing better than them.

But perhaps if F21 moved to a smaller store they could still make profit and save money by not running a larger building.

I will be upset if Macy's doesn't move into the Forever 21 building because that means it will be at LEAST 2-3 years for a new building to start construction somewhere.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 PM

64 posts, read 264,672 times
The City:

You are very focused on Macy's coming to your town. All I can say is that get Macy's gift cards every year and I feel let down. With a gift card, I feel I have to shop at Macy's. I don't like Macy's. I don't think they are special. You will be fine without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California