Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
-> sales tax TX (austin) : 8.25% CA ( bay area) : 9.25%
-> income tax : TX : 0% . CA (bay area) : 9.25% (anything over 40k)
-> property tax : TX (amnt paid almost same as amount paid in CA)
You're still not even making a basic effort to make a honest comparison. The tax rate for taxable income over $47k is 9.25% for an individuals, this doesn't take into account any credits. Property taxes in Texas are dramatically higher than California, at the business level the difference here is going to be very significant.

Quote:
And I have no patience to keep playing this business costs game with you which you like to feel you know everything about every state in the U.S and everyone's circumstances. I'll give you picture instead :
No, not every state, but certainly Texas and California.

Its funny, you complain about aggregate numbers and you keep posting a map about aggregate taxation. Again...you're not even making a basic effort to discuss this honestly.

Quote:
Wrong. There is no income tax. Sales tax lessor than CA and amount paid on property tax is about the same (lower income tax) people generally don't own property.
Its rather accurate, just do the math. Let's take a family of 4 making $60k living in Clovis and one making $60k living living in the Austin area, let's say they own homes that cost $200k and $250k respectively. The higher fuel taxes, etc can be accounted for by adding a $200~$300. The Austin family will pay approximately $5,000~$6,000 in property tax, the California couple will pay at most around $2,500 in property taxes and around $500 in income tax. The California family will pay around $1,500~$2,500 less in taxes.

Let's take another example, a family of 4 making $100k same areas with homes worth $300k and $350k. The Texan will pay around $7,000 in property taxes, on the other hand the California family will pay around $3,500 plus around $2,800 in income tax. Once you adjust for increased fuel taxes, etc the two families pay roughly the same in taxes.

People that are renting don't avoid property taxes, instead they pay them indirectly via their landlord.

So its only the top 15% or so of society that pays less taxes in Texas.

Quote:
And its funny how you contradict yourself and say the middle class/lower class foot all the pain in Texas but then paint a picture that Texas will charge more for those operating a business.
No contradiction at all, I never suggest that Texas charges more in general for those operating a business. Instead, I suggested that in some cases you'd pay more taxes in Texas than you would in California. In particular, a software company.

Anyhow, as I said before, taxes play a relatively small role in deciding on a location for a start-up. California's tax code is very start-up friendly so waiting to leave California to start a start-up doesn't make much sense. Leaving after you have a profitable established company on the other hand may make sense.

Quote:
Remind me again why Carl's Jr wants to move its business .. O' yeah, because they are gonna pay hella more in TX... Drawing straws and completely wrong.
Carl's Jr will likely save money by moving its headquarters to Texas and since there is no good reason for it to stay in California that would likely be a good move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM

193 posts, read 436,891 times
My wife and I are in our mid 20's and moved from the Bay Area to Texas a couple of years ago due to my job. We decided to move for a few reasons but one of them was the desire to own a home we could actually afford to own. We did not see any logical way to purchase a home in the East bay close enough to my job in a place we would actually want to live.

Living here, we bought a modestly sized, nice, new construction home for less than $200K. We will no doubt pay more taxes on it than we would a similarly priced home in California, the only issue is finding a similarly priced home in the right area. We couldn't find one and we had looked extensively. We still look from time to time and we still can't. The ability to even a own a home was out of reach.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
And... I have some friends from an upscale neighborhood in Dallas who had to relocate to our area and were terrribly concerned about the quality of schools in California since their elementary school was one of the highest rated schools in Texas.

Within three months the two kids were in danger of failing as they were so far behind our area kids (which includes field worker kids)

Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
sure, we believe you high.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Is it? I hate it when people don't capitalize proper names. I assumed the poster was using "maloofs" as a noun, as in "She has huge maloofs."
Eat your prunes and relax old timer. Everyone knows who the maloofs are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZow0Enq1vU

Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post

If you think I am not honest say it.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The only thing those kids fell behind in was Mexican slang.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Must be tough living with really....... really............. tiny............. minds, and no library card.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The only thing those kids fell behind in was Mexican slang.
LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Must be tough living with really....... really............. tiny............. minds, and no library card.
LoL

Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
My wife and I are in our mid 20's and moved from the Bay Area to Texas a couple of years ago due to my job. We decided to move for a few reasons but one of them was the desire to own a home we could actually afford to own. We did not see any logical way to purchase a home in the East bay close enough to my job in a place we would actually want to live.

Living here, we bought a modestly sized, nice, new construction home for less than $200K. We will no doubt pay more taxes on it than we would a similarly priced home in California, the only issue is finding a similarly priced home in the right area. We couldn't find one and we had looked extensively. We still look from time to time and we still can't. The ability to even a own a home was out of reach.

Thats the thing here in Texas compared to most of California is that homeownership is well within the realm of modest income people. The coastal areas of California its very hard for young families and that first house is usually a huge deal, hard to get, small fixer, help from parents, etc etc
User_id had some good examples that even out the tax burden between the two states, it just doesnt account for people being able to actually buy that first house.
Our house is valued at about $600k and our taxes are $11,000. Ouch, yes it does hurt. Of course in the coastal regions of California thats a modest priced house small house....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California