Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Are you serious? Which tier system classification are you using since there are so many different ranking systems for tier classification. Which one are going by?
No there aren't "so many different ranking systems" and the US news ranking is the one most cited and it was obviously the rankings I was referring. It was also the the ranking that the article you posted was referencing as well.

Now you are posting a wikipedia link.... Facing reality is so much easier, Texas has a poor university system due to decades of underfunding. It also has poor private institutions due to a history of anti-intellectualism (as can be said of much of the South). Not much has changed today either... California, and some other states, created first class public university systems and have a history of intellectual freedom. The situation today reflects past investment and cultural sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No there aren't "so many different ranking systems" and the US news ranking is the one most cited and it was obviously the rankings I was referring. It was also the the ranking that the article you posted was referencing as well.

Now you are posting a wikipedia link.... Facing reality is so much easier, Texas has a poor university system due to decades of underfunding. It also has poor private institutions due to a history of anti-intellectualism (as can be said of much of the South). Not much has changed today either... California, and some other states, created first class public university systems and have a history of intellectual freedom. The situation today reflects past investment and cultural sentiment.

What part of anything that I posted was not fact? I suggest that you re-read the first article I posted so that you have your facts correct. The article ranking was from the Carnegie Foundation.

Again right from the article:
There's no standard definition for what makes a school tier one, although rankings by the Carnegie Foundation, U.S. News & World Report and other groups are a factor.

All the different rankings from the Carnegie Foundation' US News and World Report and OTHER groups are factored in. Again you demonstrate that you do not know what you are talking about. The Wikipedia link was to enlighten you to all of the different criteria used for tier rankings. Yes there are many in use.

Sorry you can't grasp the facts that prove your points are invalid

Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:

What are you are talking about? Yes a lot has changed today. Texas Universities are becoming better and California Universities are getting worse. That's a fact...so yes things have changed today

Also the quality of life in California has declined where as the quality of life in Texas has improved.

If California continues to go the path they are on can you imagine this place in 5 or 10 years.

I am not arguing that California is not a great place but it is following the wrong trend and Texas is already good and is improving. California needs to wake up! Keep holding on to the past and refuse to see what is happening today and this State will surely continue to lose its greatness.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
All the different rankings from the Carnegie Foundation' US News and World Report and OTHER groups are factored in. Again you demonstrate that you do not know what you are talking about. The Wikipedia link was to enlighten you to all of the different criteria used for tier rankings. Yes there are many in use.
No, you are trying to avoid the fact that Texas as a whole has poor universities. There aren't "many rankings" used to rank colleges, there are a handful of serious rankings that are largely in agreement with each other. There is no measure of university quality that makes Texas look good.

The vast majority of Texan universities are bottom tier and there are only 3 (or perhaps 4) top tier universities. Show me something that refutes this...

Old 03-27-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
What are you are talking about? Yes a lot has changed today. Texas Universities are becoming better and California Universities are getting worse. That's a fact...so yes things have changed today
Although the Texas university has made some improvements, your claim about the California system isn't true. In terms of university rankings California is doing better, not worse. I would agree that in terms of social missions that these universities are suppose to serve that the universities are indeed doing worse, but under this metric Texas universities are doing horribly though.

In terms of intellectual environment not much as changed. Texas is still a backwards state where intellectualism is attacked and California is still a forward focused state where intellectualism is encouraged.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
No, you are trying to avoid the fact that Texas as a whole has poor universities. There aren't "many rankings" used to rank colleges, there are a handful of serious rankings that are largely in agreement with each other. There is no measure of university quality that makes Texas look good.

The vast majority of Texan universities are bottom tier and there are only 3 (or perhaps 4) top tier universities. Show me something that refutes this...
No actually I am not. I am from Houston, TX and I know better then you that the UT System, Rice, SMU, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, University of North Texas and the University of Houston are good ranking schools for science, engineering, business and medical professions.
Show me something that refutes that! You won't be able to but please try!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Although the Texas university has made some improvements, your claim about the California system isn't true. In terms of university rankings California is doing better, not worse. I would agree that in terms of social missions that these universities are suppose to serve that the universities are indeed doing worse, but under this metric Texas universities are doing horribly though.

In terms of intellectual environment not much as changed. Texas is still a backwards state where intellectualism is attacked and California is still a forward focused state where intellectualism is encouraged.

No one is attacking our scientists, our engineers or our medical professionals at the Universities for their "intellectualism" Prove that this is happening. Better yet go and visit the Texas Medical Center and have your little mind blown. It is eons ahead of anything California has seen. Go and witness the research being conducted in all the science disciplines. The advances in science and technology generated from the top Texas Universities and Medical Schools is not backwards or being attacked by anyone. You are very ignorant about Texas just like you are about evolution. I can show you the facts but I can't understand them for you!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
No actually I am not. I am from Houston, TX and I know better then you that the UT System, Rice, SMU, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, University of North Texas and the University of Houston are good ranking schools for science, engineering, business and medical professions.
Show me something that refutes that! You won't be able to but please try!
Of course I can't because you were just change the meaning of "good ranking" to accommodate what you want to believe. I provide a concrete statement, only 3 Texas universities are tier 1 universities and one of those is rather small. On the other hand California has 14 tier 1 universities most of which are actually in the top 50.

There is no question that Texas has a brain-drain while California has a brain-gain.

I would agree that California is following the wrong trend, California is starting to under-invest in its schools, infrastructure, etc just like Texas. California should go back to what made the state good and that isn't low taxes, its big social and public investment. The California university system is a pillar of what good government investment can achieve.

In terms of the intellectual environment, its not just about the university campus. While on the campus at UT Austin its not going to be much different than being at say UCLA. But when you leave campus things change. Universities are created in communities and if communities that are hassle to intellectual freedoms they aren't going to get much investment in terms of higher education. Just look a recent events, the Texas Board of Education has approved curriculum that distorts history and emphasizes marginal conservative intellectuals because well....all the really important people weren't conservative enough. There is continuous issues with the teaching of mainstream science in Texas, including you know, taking about events that are millions years old.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 PM

[quote=user_id;18463146]Of course I can't because you were just change the meaning of "good ranking" to accommodate what you want to believe. I provide a concrete statement, only 3 Texas universities are tier 1 universities and one of those is rather small. On the other hand California has 14 tier 1 universities most of which are actually in the top 50.

There is no question that Texas has a brain-drain while California has a brain-gain. [quote]

That is correct...you can't because your claims are total BS! That is why you can't refute it. You just don't know what your are talking about.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:

Also the quality of life in California has declined where as the quality of life in Texas has improved.

If California continues to go the path they are on can you imagine this place in 5 or 10 years.

I am not arguing that California is not a great place but it is following the wrong trend and Texas is already good and is improving. California needs to wake up! Keep holding on to the past and refuse to see what is happening today and this State will surely continue to lose its greatness.
This is what people don't get TVC15 which is exactly what I am looking at. I am not concerned w/ what California was .. I am concerned w/ where it is going .. Which is exactly what my points focus on... K-12 rankings are crap due to immigration .. yes, they are and that concerns me w/ the liberal/lax attitude towards it.. My indian co-worker left because of it. He didn't want his kid around it. I sure as heck don't. Where is California going in terms of immigration ? Into the crapper . What's its solution for solving it? Incentivize more of it via greater amounts of handouts and liberal attitudes towards it.

Are there better Universities outside CA? Heck yeah .. I re-iterate the ranking of the one I went to :
Computer | Rankings | US News

Are California school's ranking going down? Yes they are ... Funding is being cut drastically, the schools are overcrowded, .... and as I just pasted "
"The campus increased the number of enrollment offers to international students and out-of-state students as part of an effort to generate additional funds during this time of budget deficits. Since they are not California residents, these students must fund the full cost of their non-resident tuition in addition to what California-resident students pay. Nonresident students pay three times as much in tuition and fees as students from California. The additional nonresident funds will help UC Berkeley maintain academic excellence for all students."" ... So, you live here, and have to compete against a boat load of people and they are continually expanding the out of state and international %'age in order to pay for things....

Are taxes going to go up even though CA has some of the highest taxation in the country? That's exactly what I am keeping an eye on.

Being a person of sense, it is understood that nothing lasts forever...
No company grows forever.... No one place stays #1 forever... the longer you have grown.. the longer you have been #1 .. the greater the odds for decline....

I don't want to be a part of something that is great. I'd rather be there as something builds into great. If you are an architect, the best place is China right now (I have seen lots of interior designers/architects) move to Hong Kong to be a part of the boom out of SF ... Why? there are too many darn architects/interior design people chasing too little work (saturation) ....

Companies are expanding .. not just mundane operations but core operations to places like Austin and North Carolina. The CEO of VMWARE said himself that it is due to those places being lower cost centers ... As they grow and try to cut opex, they cannot continue to do that in CA . The cost is too high and CA is not the only place that attracts talent .. His words not mine.

Saturation and decline ..... Which can be mitigated by smart changes.. If I don't see those changes, I am out of here. TVC15 you mad a great point.. It is not about CA's past or history .. It is about its future .. and if you think hiking taxes is going to make/break that future .. You are amongst the group of wrong opinions that are turning CA towards ruin which I am watching closely in determining if I should move.

The state is too saturated w/ dead weight .. CA encourages this dead weight to move here and taxes the snot out of the productive to maintain them ... This was o.k in adding diversity in the past but this state is being overrun by them and it is slowly starting to choke off the future of CA.... As for why the bright don't complain? .. they are too busy working like animals to pay off their 1 million home obligations to notice... Trust me, I have mentioned such things to a lot of them.. They were appalled by learning about the handout programs, the insane public worker compensation ... My conversations swayed them to vote no on the tax extensions... No one likes a leech. Most are too busy pumping blood to notice .... But when told about it, they want it off. I can't inform everybody and there is already a large amount of the populous that wants the leeching kept (because they leech or are convinced it changes the world soo much).. So, I will keep my eye on the tax extension vote.. It is more about the long term direction of this state than it is about a tax extension vote.

As for entrepreneur, I gave even more details about my venture ... They can be done from anywhere... they aren't dependent upon all this 'amazing' talent you cite that CA has. Business partners/interested people are all over the U.S ... I am deciding to locate where taxes/cost of living are low... the canvas is somewhat blank and ready to painted ... and the state is going places long term ..... My choice for settling down is a personal one....
If I am making the same return, while escaping taxation of 9.25%, why should I re-allocate my capital to something that will be subject to taxation? I'll wait thank you very much.

As for social media being where all the VC buzz is.. that is very much true :
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/te...bble.html?_r=1
That's all anyone talks about in the bay area ... where most of all the young 'talent' is ... trying to churn out stupid social media companies to be bought up by the big boys : google/facebook and when it finally blows it's going to be bloodshed.

Thanks for making this point TVC15

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 03-27-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California