Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:29 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But they voted for 7 Billion not 99 Billion.
No, they didn't vote for $7B. They voted on a $9B bond to start a project that was forecast to somewhere in the ballpark of $40-45B (I think $41B was the target price).

You could do yourself a lot of favors when it comes to the credibility of your posts if you would at least take the time to look up things when you make a post rather than propagating disinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 05:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
No, they didn't vote for $7B. They voted on a $9B bond to start a project that was forecast to somewhere in the ballpark of $40-45B (I think $41B was the target price).

You could do yourself a lot of favors when it comes to the credibility of your posts if you would at least take the time to look up things when you make a post rather than propagating disinformation.
I was going from memory. The point is that the "estimate" now is twice the figures posted above and no one voted for that. You would do well to be less arrogant and try to actually understand the point of a post.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Quote:

Who cares?

Is the Moonbeam Train on budget? No.

Is it going to be on schedule? No.

Is it ever going to be profitable or break even? No.

Do the majority of Californians care that someone in Madera can take a bullet train to Fresno? No.

Are you seriously trying to defend this useless democrat pork project?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Who cares?

Is the Moonbeam Train on budget? No.

Is it going to be on schedule? No.

Is it ever going to be profitable or break even? No.

Do the majority of Californians care that someone in Madera can take a bullet train to Fresno? No.

Are you seriously trying to defend this useless democrat pork project?
Yes, I am for HSR. Many of the anti-HSR posters are posting simply because they don't agree with HSR. As for being over budget, this isn't a HSR problem. This is a problem we have with building just about anything in this country. Projects are consistently over-budget and behind schedule. Why? The reasons are numerous. One is that contractors are awarded bids and find out they can't afford to complete projects within their allocated budget. The other is there are always distractors for anything that is going to be done in this country. A few of them have valid points. Most of the time their position is based on ideology. It doesn't matter if the idea is good or not. They have some ideology rooted in baseless principles and many times they are willing to do whatever it takes to make something look bad. That includes baseless lawsuits to slow down a project. They would even be willing to outspend the construction costs of a project at the expense of the taxpayers for nothing more than their principles.

Specific to this project, land acquisition has been a problem. This is the same thing that happened when the interstates were being built out. Many people back then considered construction of interstates to be a "boondoggle." There have also been unforeseen expenses. Utilities weren't mapped out very well in the past. The end result is construction crews have been finding utilities while working on the project in Fresno. Those utilities have to be moved. That takes time. Unfortunately, those delays also increase costs.

http://www.hsr.ca.gov/docs/brdmeetin...sts_011618.pdf

Old 03-21-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I was going from memory. The point is that the "estimate" now is twice the figures posted above and no one voted for that. You would do well to be less arrogant and try to actually understand the point of a post.

No arrogance on my part. You're the one who consistently quotes statistics that are incorrect in an effort to make anything you disagree with look bad. As for your memory, if it isn't good you should have looked up the statistics. You also aren't very good at math. The current total (according to the LA Times) is $77.3B. That figure divided by two does not equal two times the amount of $7B (or $9B). With that gross error in mind, I'm convinced the point of your post was to make HSR look bad, and convince others that HSR is bad.

There's nothing wrong with HSR. There is certainly something wrong with the cost overruns. However, people with a mindset that HSR is bad have also added to some of those cost increases.

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...309-story.html

Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post

Currently a one way ticket on Amtrak goes for about $ 33, from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
Are you sure, only $ 33 ? That sounds very cheap for such a distance. Is that a misprint ?.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I can imagine it, I just can't imagine it making any money.
Not directly, though it may bring much needed tax revenue to the central valley as more people move there.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:58 AM

626 posts, read 626,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Are you sure, only $ 33 ? That sounds very cheap for such a distance. Is that a misprint ?.
I just looked because I was interested and the tickets are for $59 a piece was the cheapest.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
No arrogance on my part. You're the one who consistently quotes statistics that are incorrect in an effort to make anything you disagree with look bad. As for your memory, if it isn't good you should have looked up the statistics. You also aren't very good at math. The current total (according to the LA Times) is $77.3B. That figure divided by two does not equal two times the amount of $7B (or $9B). With that gross error in mind, I'm convinced the point of your post was to make HSR look bad, and convince others that HSR is bad.

There's nothing wrong with HSR. There is certainly something wrong with the cost overruns. However, people with a mindset that HSR is bad have also added to some of those cost increases.

Cost for California bullet train system rises to $77.3 billion
You have exposed yourself again.

The price of the California bullet train project jumped sharply Friday when the state rail authority announced that the cost of connecting Los Angeles to San Francisco would be $77.3 billion and could rise as high as $98.1 billion — an uptick of at least $13 billion from estimates two years ago.

Cost for California bullet train system rises to $77.3 billion

New cost estimates on high-speed rail should make all of us sick

The latest news from the High Speed Rail Authority that the estimated costs have now increased 20 percent to 35 percent more than projected in 2016 should make all of us sick.
The project as presented to voters under Proposition 1A in 2008 envisioned a total cost of $30 billion to $40 billion. It is now up to $77.3 billion and may end up as high as $98 billion.
It does not represent what voters narrowly approved in 2008 and must be terminated.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/21/letter-new-cost-estimates-on-high-speed-rail-should-make-all-of-us-sick/

Old 03-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I just looked because I was interested and the tickets are for $59 a piece was the cheapest.
No price can be accurate as the cost runs and extended build time put it wayyy off in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California