Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
He is .. and by working 7 days a week he means watching workers on his land (some illegals) do most of the hard labor. You wouldn't expect an old man who oft. comments : "why aren't there more people out here working the land for pennies .. illegals do it and are happy?" to actually be laboring 7 days a week... And surprise : he isn't. Perspective.. it seems some who are quite removed from being young, finding a home, and making it for a family don't have any.
that explains it! can you explain your last line though? i lost you on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM

ah, never mind. i just caught the meaning of your last line!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Tech sector is doing ok. We've lost 6 to other businesses in 6 months. My Company needs to take notice before we lose even more.
Tech sector runs in cycles. I work in it. Life is good and has been for some time.. and that time is just about to run out .. Many people didn't see the cycle back in 2001 and most wont see the one coming around soon .. It's exampled by the number of suckers who lined up to buy facebook... Typically the majority is wrong....

For my fellow technies, I hope they have saved up but many i know have been blowing it and partying.. In the bay area, six figure salaries in tech are pretty basic .. Everything is relative though, I make it and have had companies banging down my door : Facebook.. Google.. Head hunters to name a few.. to pay me more .. The problem : Relative to cost here .. It's still peanuts. I had a great run while tech was burning hot .. Now, I want to live my life and enjoy it just beyond 'affording' it.. To do that, i have made the personal decision to exit the rat race :

Facebook Impact on Menlo Park Home Prices: Video - Bloomberg
Facebook

LMFAO !! Avg. price of homes in Menlo Park : $2 million.. Single family home rent : $6,000 ..

Happy for those who won the lotto .. Seems they are spending it very intelligently trying to locally outbid each other /sarcasm :
He and her husband bid $86,000 over the asking price to win a four-bedroom home with about 2,300 square feet (214 square meters) in Menlo Park’s Willows neighborhood. The $1.88 million purchase is scheduled to close today, she said.

I hope they didn't do this based on FB being worth $40 a share.. LOL
Suffice to say, I find the bay area to truly be 'keeping up w/ the Jones'... 'McMansion' lifestyle... It just so happens that the market gives you shoeboxes for 3-4 times the price of true McMansion elsewhere.. When someone's out attempting to outbid someone else for an amount I can almost buy an equivalent place for elsewhere, that's when my intelligence kicks in and I pack up my stuff.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 05-31-2012 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy
He is .. and by working 7 days a week he means watching workers on his land (some illegals) do most of the hard labor. You wouldn't expect an old man who oft. comments : "why aren't there more people out here working the land for pennies .. illegals do it and are happy?" to actually be laboring 7 days a week... And surprise : he isn't. Perspective.. it seems some who are quite removed from being young, finding a home, and making it for a family don't have any.

Actually, not surprisingly YTF has no idea what he is talking about. Lets go through his comments:

Quote:
He is .. and by working 7 days a week he means watching workers on his land (some illegals) do most of the hard labor.
He is mistaken about me watching the workers 7 days a week, they only work 6. They are mostly illegals, probably, no one knows for sure, since all the workers have the proper paperwork

Quote:
You wouldn't expect an old man who oft. comments : "why aren't there more people out here working the land for pennies .. illegals do it and are happy?"
I am a retired wildland firefighter, that means, I worked hard physically all my life. The field workers wages are similar to that of Federal Wildland Firefighters and your local paramedics. Hardly pennies.

I have never made a statement similar to:
Quote:
"why aren't there more people out here working the land for pennies .. illegals do it and are happy?"
Somedays I work for dollars, on the days that I don't, I am usually in our National Forest lands working on trails, again, some hard physical labor, some days mule packing supplies into crews, and all volunteer. I could ask YTF what he does for his community and country, but that might make him uncomfortable. Next week I will be in the back country of Yosemite Park, doing what I do for our country.

I know why people are not working in the fields, the work is too hard for most Americans, hispanic or not. I have no idea if they are happy, whether a worker is happy or not is not something I spend much time thinking about.

I, while I manage the ranches, get not a penny of income from the ranches, I do it because it needs doing, the entire income goes to one relative. If that baffles you, consider family duties.

My wife and I both live on our State of Nevada pensions, and our created jobs, she works as an independent contractor in health care, I have a back hoe service. My primary rule for work is that it must be done outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
that explains it! can you explain your last line though? i lost you on that one.
For the last line that confused you, read what he said carefully, then read the following. I have owned a number of homes, bought and paid for by hard physical labor. Substitute "doesn't" for "don't". And understand, every homeowner was once young looking for a home to buy, to state that a homeowner cannot relate to being young and looking for a home, rather staggers the imagination. I also have three adult children for whom home purchases are coming around at some point, when they get done, or mostly done living lives of adventure in far off places.

As you can see, YTF explained nothing but what he imagined, keep that in mind, he does it a lot. It is true that I do not have a lot of sympathy for people that work at desks, or under roofs, life is too short for that!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

For the last line that confused you, read what he said carefully, then read the following. I have owned a number of homes, bought and paid for by hard physical labor. Substitute "doesn't" for "don't". And understand, every homeowner was once young looking for a home to buy, to state that a homeowner cannot relate to being young and looking for a home, rather staggers the imagination. I also have three adult children for whom home purchases are coming around at some point, when they get done, or mostly done living lives of adventure in far off places.

As you can see, YTF explained nothing but what he imagined, keep that in mind, he does it a lot. It is true that I do not have a lot of sympathy for people that work at desks, or under roofs, life is too short for that!
actually, i was asking "yeahthatguy" (YTG, not YTF) about his comment but then i figured it out. thanks anyway!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Tech sector runs in cycles. I work in it. Life is good and has been for some time.. and that time is just about to run out .. Many people didn't see the cycle back in 2001 and most wont see the one coming around soon .. It's exampled by the number of suckers who lined up to buy facebook... Typically the majority is wrong....

For my fellow technies, I hope they have saved up but many i know have been blowing it and partying.. In the bay area, six figure salaries in tech are pretty basic .. Everything is relative though, I make it and have had companies banging down my door : Facebook.. Google.. Head hunters to name a few.. to pay me more .. The problem : Relative to cost here .. It's still peanuts. I had a great run while tech was burning hot .. Now, I want to live my life and enjoy it just beyond 'affording' it.. To do that, i have made the personal decision to exit the rat race :

Facebook Impact on Menlo Park Home Prices: Video - Bloomberg
Facebook

LMFAO !! Avg. price of homes in Menlo Park : $2 million.. Single family home rent : $6,000 ..

Happy for those who won the lotto .. Seems they are spending it very intelligently trying to locally outbid each other /sarcasm :
He and her husband bid $86,000 over the asking price to win a four-bedroom home with about 2,300 square feet (214 square meters) in Menlo Park’s Willows neighborhood. The $1.88 million purchase is scheduled to close today, she said.

I hope they didn't do this based on FB being worth $40 a share.. LOL
Suffice to say, I find the bay area to truly be 'keeping up w/ the Jones'... 'McMansion' lifestyle... It just so happens that the market gives you shoeboxes for McMansion prices.. When someone's out attempting to outbid someone for the amount I can almost buy an equivalent place for elsewhere, that's when my intelligence kicks in and I pack up my stuff.
so where are you going?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
he is going to the middle of Florida, flat ground, no skiing, bugs.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Actually, not surprisingly YTF has no idea what he is talking about. Lets go through his comments:

He is mistaken about me watching the workers 7 days a week, they only work 6. They are mostly illegals, probably, no one knows for sure, since all the workers have the proper paperwork

I am a retired wildland firefighter, that means, I worked hard physically all my life. The field workers wages are similar to that of Federal Wildland Firefighters and your local paramedics. Hardly pennies.

Retired.. Key word here
I have never made a statement similar to: Somedays I work for dollars, on the days that I don't, I am usually in our National Forest lands working on trails, again, some hard physical labor, some days mule packing supplies into crews, and all volunteer. I could ask YTF what he does for his community and country, but that might make him uncomfortable. Next week I will be in the back country of Yosemite Park, doing what I do for our country.

I know why people are not working in the fields, the work is too hard for most Americans, hispanic or not. I have no idea if they are happy, whether a worker is happy or not is not something I spend much time thinking about.

I, while I manage the ranches, get not a penny of income from the ranches, I do it because it needs doing, the entire income goes to one relative. If that baffles you, consider family duties.

Not important where you send your money.. I pay for my parent's mortgagee back at home and help them take care of my sister ...Suffice to say : you manage workers like i said you did

My wife and I both live on our State of Nevada pensions, and our created jobs, she works as an independent contractor in health care, I have a back hoe service. My primary rule for work is that it must be done outside.

True enough, and guess what : i worked hard physical labor too ... I ran a lawn business in the state of Florida in 100* heat solely and then employed workers who i worked side-by-side with. I don't have to any more and am more productive to society using my brain so that's what I do now. This is 2012 and its far different from when you worked .. My dad doesn't have a college degree and managed to buy his first home when he was 22 making avg. wage .. My mom was a stay at home mom.. Steve Job's avg. parents (mechanic / teacher) bought a home in Los Altos, CA ... That same crusty old home goes for $1.26 million today. What mechanic/teacher can afford that today? Could it be that things change drastically over time ?

Yes, things change over time .. To appreciate that change, esp. when commenting on present day, one needs to have perspective which you lack..So, you grew up in a different day and age and you lack perspective and don't care for what people growing up now face.. You think everyone should be out playing around in the dirt for a living and are worthless if they don't.. Yet, you sit there typing on a computer that was created by people using their brains inside in the A/C. You are retired .. and you manage people .. All of my comments are rather spot on

As you can see, I explained everything .. thanks for helping me out w/ the details

Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
As you can see, I explained everything .. thanks for helping me out w/ the details
you aren't really going to florida, are you? and do you really think another crash is coming? i had to leave in the last one but i'm trying to come back. could take me a year or so though.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
you aren't really going to florida, are you? and do you really think another crash is coming? i had to leave in the last one but i'm trying to come back. could take me a year or so though.
Sure, why not? The place I have researched is growing.. Has good school ratings .. I have a support network there like i do here and several other states.. I can live a comfortable life. I can buy a house in cash and still have close to 300-400k in the bank. Why should I stay here and battle it out w/ people throwing cash around willy nilly and just get by 'affording life'? Sign up for a 30 year mortgage ball and chain when I dont have to? To brag : I can see Zuckerberg drink his morning coffee from my window?

Lets do the run down :
> Car Paid
> House Paid
.. Where are my major bills?
My trading income nets me about 2-3x my living expenses .....
Why stay in California ? Pay 9%+ income tax. Deal w/ a state whose services, in way of K-12/etc, are deteriorating by the day because the politicians want to **** out out a window.. A state that faces long term structural/fiscal issues... A populous that spits on you anytime you point out problems and don't have the will to address California's real issues (because they magically don't exist) An industry in decline (yes, web 3.0 will go through a reality check .. and there are many tech companies that depend on it flourishing to survie) .. and pay a premium for it when I can avoid all of that?

Oh, btw, my job is coming w/ me .... Tech work can be done from anywhere in the world esp. software engineering. Most tech companies of importance have offices all over the U.S and world ... As much as outsiders from the industry like to comment, quality tech jobs are all over the U.S and world.

So, for me, California doesn't have much appeal...

> Job (jobs are all over)
> Cost of living is horrid
> Taxes are high and prohibit me from freely pursuing certain opportunities
> K-12 funding/management is in decline
> State faces serious fiscal issues

.. Stay in a place that is in decline and charging a premium for what it once was or go to a place that is growing/improving and undervalued by the market? California is beautiful (captain obvious) .. If i want to go hiking.. snowboarding .. explore California like I already have while living here ... I'll book a plane ticket .. fly over and enjoy California's outdoors. I work M-F .. Besides some nice scenery from my car, it's really not that serious. What is more serious is the world outside California which I have only scraped the surface of seeing.... Living in X/Y doesn't afford me any better chance of seeing it.

This gets around to why you can't find a shortage of people willing to line up to pay $42 for Facebook's stock that is overpriced overhyped junk .. lose 20-30% of their money and meanwhile you have tons of other better values w/ better returns that you have to smack people against the head to see...

It's been pretty clear to me in life..Generally, don't follow the heard .. It is almost always the least optimal path .. And, as in markets, when something becomes dominant consensus and is all over the news : #1 place to live.. that's almost exactly when it will start trending in the opposite direction.

W/ the essentials covered I can freely pursue business ventures/travel (see the real world beyond just where i live) .. do all sorts of things .. Namely what i want to do.. Why sacrifice that freedom? I don't see the sell.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 05-31-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California