Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

I heard on radio news today, that the labor department just released that the majority of the jobs that were created this year were low paid jobs, not family supporting jobs. California created a bunch of jobs, but what type were most of the jobs?

In Montana and North Dakota a lot of high paid jobs were created, helping push up wages for low paid jobs. We are not worrying about raising the minimum as employers are paying more than the minimum wage by quite a bit to just get workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:00 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Upnorth View Post
My husband and I have been blessed with OUTSTANDING jobs and income in Western North Dakota. This state gets over looked by the democratic driven media who seldom speaks of the 17,000 job openings, unemployment as low as 0.7% (Williams County). Did you know that numerous geologists predict more oil in the Bakken Formation than ALL of Saudi Arabia. Since these are mostly non-green, shovel ready fossil fuel energy jobs, this gets ignored.

The once small, locally owned business that my husband works for, had 47 employees in 2007. Today they employ more than 1,100. And they DID build this themselves!

The media also likes to forget that Microsoft, Nokia (Navteq), Case IH, John Deere, Caterpillar and a host of other large companies have a huge presence here in North Dakota.

I’m still waiting for Think4Yourself to draw the correlation between venture capitalists, start ups and California leading the nations economy. That FB IPO is looking better and better. If 10.7% unemployment and a busted state budget is leading economically I’m baffled. The California cheerleaders will always take it the wrong way. I love California, but politically and economically the state is a tepid cesspool.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,202 times
How? It's just illegals in California with all the jobs. That's why there aren't any jobs in the state.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 PM

444 posts, read 665,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zi3j View Post
How? It's just illegals in California with all the jobs. That's why there aren't any jobs in the state.
Very informative and insightful post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound
The media also likes to forget that Microsoft, Nokia (Navteq), Case IH, John Deere, Caterpillar and a host of other large companies have a huge presence here in North Dakota.

I’m still waiting for Think4Yourself to draw the correlation between venture capitalists, start ups and California leading the nations economy. That FB IPO is looking better and better. If 10.7% unemployment and a busted state budget is leading economically I’m baffled. The California cheerleaders will always take it the wrong way. I love California, but politically and economically the state is a tepid cesspool.
Look I'm a realist and I know that CA is treading through some tough times. With close to 40 million people and growing you're going to have some problems BUT it still has the world's most dynamic, unique, and most envied economy, that's why many haters like you and oldtrader care so much to lurk here. For you to talk up and brag about North Dakota's achievements (what's the population there? 7, 8 people?) that nobody cares about is just laughable. Must be really boring in Fargo considering you seem to have a lot of time in your hands in a California forum. Did you move away from here? If so you seem bitter about it. Like the grouchy ex-girlfriend keeping track.

Last edited by mongozx; 08-31-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
So what dude...
He said, and I quote:

And California has the 3rd highest unemployment rate in the nation at 49th place.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I heard on radio news today, that the labor department just released that the majority of the jobs that were created this year were low paid jobs, not family supporting jobs. California created a bunch of jobs, but what type were most of the jobs?

In Montana and North Dakota a lot of high paid jobs were created, helping push up wages for low paid jobs. We are not worrying about raising the minimum as employers are paying more than the minimum wage by quite a bit to just get workers.
So, thats because you would have to pay anyone a hellavolatta money to work in North Dakota or Montana. I'm not kidding.

You heard on radio news today. Source please?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

Funny way of showing love.

Once again, it isn't surprise that unemployment rates would be low in North Dakota. The ONLY thing that would keep any one there is a well paying job. If that job were to go, then you move out of state. If you lost your job in greater LA, it would make sense to stay, as being 10 million people you will find something else.

Out in Minot, if the price of natural gas goes down, your out of work in the 50 an hour mile winds of the high plains.

The reason for the unemployment and busted state budget is simple!

California experienced on the biggest real estate booms, therefore experienced one of the biggest real estates busts. Why, because Californias real estate is supercharge because its highly desirable. Therefore you had all this construction work out in affordable inland valley towns, all this new real estate tax money, coming in through the 90s up to 2008, then with all those projects from the real estate tax money, then got into debt. Not rockey science.

The reason the Great Plains are so economically stable, is because they never experienced a real estate bust, because they never experienced a real estate boom, why, because its not desirable region of the country to live. Its burning hot, freezing cold, super windy, lonely, bleak looking, treeless rolling plains, with ultra conservative culture where you're not easily accepted if you are a little different.

Its not rocket science.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,106 times
I'd be interested to know what kind of jobs these are, and what cities (or parts of cities) are experiencing this boom, if it's accurate.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM

434 posts, read 849,031 times
Because CA has such a large population it has the potential to lead in many categories:

Most illegal immigrants
Most people in jail
Most traffic accidents
Most home invasion roberies
Most unwed mothers
Most businesses closing
Most foreclosures
Most homeless

Not saying that is does lead each category. But because of its large population it well might.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'm pretty sure there are 57 states.

Obama Claims He's Visited 57 States - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California