Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
I suspects that banning bags is an easy push as it seems to be an idea no one is going to get all upset about. Makes the advocates feel good too.

However far more animals are killed by cars, so lets ban all cars. Nuts just walk, it is good for your health, non polluting and we get to talk to each other. Oh and cats kill millions of birds, so ... lets ban cats.

Wait think what concrete does to natural habitats so lets .... Get the idea?

Some will say lets start somewhere. OK, what kills more animals and people than anything else? Hint, it ain't plastic bags.
Ok, the animals killed by cars for one are not the same animals. Also, as grown adults, we need to get away from this extreme way of thinking. The one where someone like you says, "well this has this effect so let's ban that". Please! So because one can be banned and the other can't we shouldn't do anything at all? And I'm sorry but your response proves you've not volunteered as a rescue center. It's mostly birds and marine life effected by plastic. Unlike those that do get hit by cars, the car accidents do not negatively effect existing populations hence the lack of concern regarding it. Plastic is ingested accidentally at much larger rates. Other than that, gun shot wounds and lead poisoning as big reasons animals are brought into centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ok, the animals killed by cars for one are not the same animals. Also, as grown adults, we need to get away from this extreme way of thinking. The one where someone like you says, "well this has this effect so let's ban that". Please! So because one can be banned and the other can't we shouldn't do anything at all? And I'm sorry but your response proves you've not volunteered as a rescue center. It's mostly birds and marine life effected by plastic. Unlike those that do get hit by cars, the car accidents do not negatively effect existing populations hence the lack of concern regarding it. Plastic is ingested accidentally at much larger rates. Other than that, gun shot wounds and lead poisoning as big reasons animals are brought into centers.
Hi,

I am simply pointing out that many things kill. Plastic bags may well me a menace, though HOW great seems debatable. I am simply in favor of using paper bags, which the stores have always been willing to supply.

Part of the problem is that with the ban, stores would charge for fabric bags, increasing costs to the consumer and of course increasing tax revenue to the State, County and Municipality. Who pays? Yep everyone. The stores save on no longer providing the free bags and .. make money on the fabric ones. Who looses? The consumer.

Some object that the paper MFG is a polluting activity, but it is offset by being a recycling activity as well. Then what does it take to MFG fabric bags? It isn't non polluting either. I am always suspicious of such requirements when all they do is increase costs to consumers, revenue to the State and really accomplishes very little over all. Might it help some birds and fish, maybe it would. Yet are plastic bags the real problem or other forms of plastic, that isn't being banned? This whole thing has been "fishy" from the beginning.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I am simply pointing out that many things kill. Plastic bags may well me a menace, though HOW great seems debatable. I am simply in favor of using paper bags, which the stores have always been willing to supply.

Part of the problem is that with the ban, stores would charge for fabric bags, increasing costs to the consumer and of course increasing tax revenue to the State, County and Municipality. Who pays? Yep everyone. The stores save on no longer providing the free bags and .. make money on the fabric ones. Who looses? The consumer.

Some object that the paper MFG is a polluting activity, but it is offset by being a recycling activity as well. Then what does it take to MFG fabric bags? It isn't non polluting either. I am always suspicious of such requirements when all they do is increase costs to consumers, revenue to the State and really accomplishes very little over all. Might it help some birds and fish, maybe it would. Yet are plastic bags the real problem or other forms of plastic, that isn't being banned? This whole thing has been "fishy" from the beginning.
Ah, as Nullgeo said, self interest is the deciding factor. As long as we selfishly don't have to inconvenience ourselves...

Geez this is unbelievable

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ah, as Nullgeo said, self interest is the deciding factor. As long as we selfishly don't have to inconvenience ourselves...

Geez this is unbelievable

Spectacular points gentlemen!....
Could not have summed it up in so few words...

Len....64 do you see the point???

We had decades to stop using plastic bags and we did not.. We tried your way and no one did it... So now we ban them... Yes? Understand?

We correct the evils that we can... Of course the best thing for the planet would to be to ban people... But that would be kinda inconvenient, besides no one would be here to make sure the ban was being enforced...LOL

So we do the little things we can like ban plastic bags.... It is not going to crash the economy, kill off millions of people on and on bla bla... Just a little inconvenience.

Problem is Len..64 ....YOU do not want to be told what you can and can not do.. This is all about you is it not? Another layer of obtrusive government.... Do you think I like it? No!

.... Yes, I too "wished"more people would take responsibility themselves... But they don't!

You raised kids yes? Would you give your keys and a 6 pack to your 15 year old and say have at it...? Did you let your kids stay up all night on a school night and watch TV? No! You acted as that obtrusive layer of government....

Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Spectacular points gentlemen!....
Could not have summed it up in so few words...

Len....64 do you see the point???

We had decades to stop using plastic bags and we did not.. We tried your way and no one did it... So now we ban them... Yes? Understand?

We correct the evils that we can... Of course the best thing for the planet would to be to ban people... But that would be kinda inconvenient, besides no one would be here to make sure the ban was being enforced...LOL

So we do the little things we can like ban plastic bags.... It is not going to crash the economy, kill off millions of people on and on bla bla... Just a little inconvenience.

Problem is Len..64 ....YOU do not want to be told what you can and can not do.. This is all about you is it not? Another layer of obtrusive government.... Do you think I like it? No!

.... Yes, I too "wished"more people would take responsibility themselves... But they don't!

You raised kids yes? Would you give your keys and a 6 pack to your 15 year old and say have at it...? Did you let your kids stay up all night on a school night and watch TV? No! You acted as that obtrusive layer of government....
Hi,

Did I say I wouldn't do it? Have I said I do not worry about the ecology? I am more concerned about people being hurt by small gestures that are not likely to really make much of a difference.

My point is two fold.

1. Claims of good are still debatable, and any proposed good may be offset by the suggested alternative, while raising the COL even if a little bit. It plays on peoples emotions to do good.

2. The second is the old Nose of the camel issue. Once started how do we stop it? It would be like my setting a time for my daughter to be home (Now married) and each week I moved it earlier and earlier. Not nice. I could say it is for your own good, but would it be? Gov't likes to be the parent, but we aren't children (though I agree many act like it).

Are plastic bags a problem, probably. Do we have bigger problems to deal with, YES. The big ones get lost in the myriads of small things that get people emotional about them.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Did I say I wouldn't do it? Have I said I do not worry about the ecology? I am more concerned about people being hurt by small gestures that are not likely to really make much of a difference.

My point is two fold.

1. Claims of good are still debatable, and any proposed good may be offset by the suggested alternative, while raising the COL even if a little bit. It plays on peoples emotions to do good.

2. The second is the old Nose of the camel issue. Once started how do we stop it? It would be like my setting a time for my daughter to be home (Now married) and each week I moved it earlier and earlier. Not nice. I could say it is for your own good, but would it be? Gov't likes to be the parent, but we aren't children (though I agree many act like it).

Are plastic bags a problem, probably. Do we have bigger problems to deal with, YES. The big ones get lost in the myriads of small things that get people emotional about them.
Typical defiant American mindset. Another one of those ridiculous replies. You are a grown adult I take it. Please do not pull that "if we do this where do we stop" baloney! You stop where it will need to be stopped and to you and anyone else who are tempted to ask the question; "but where is that?" If you need to be told every little thing such as that, then claim you don't want anyone telling what to do, there's a level of confusion about life that suggest such types should never leave their homes.

Then again, maybe that's why those cheap states with huge homes are so attractive to some people, I don't know.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Hi,

My point is two fold.

We are polarized on a silly little thing like no free plastic bags... Like we are going to tackle bigger issues...LOL Two very different mindsets on the "correct" direction to go in this nation exist.. Give me a break... what a joke... The suggested alternative is bring your own bag!!! COL increase.... Fess up... This is about someone else telling you what you can and can not do....

If your married daughter is on your dole, then you have the right to do that... YOU fine Sir, are on the USA governments dole... You enjoy the benefits of citizenship with every breath you breath... So am I! This privilege comes with a price...

You nor I can have our cake and eat it too....

That is the problem with you right wingers... You want all the services of socialized society that benefit you personally but do not want to make any sacrifices ...

Simply classic!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
We are polarized on a silly little thing like no free plastic bags... Like we are going to tackle bigger issues...LOL Two very different mindsets on the "correct" direction to go in this nation exist.. Give me a break... what a joke... The suggested alternative is bring your own bag!!! COL increase.... Fess up... This is about someone else telling you what you can and can not do....

If your married daughter is on your dole, then you have the right to do that... YOU fine Sir, are on the USA governments dole... You enjoy the benefits of citizenship with every breath you breath... So am I! This privilege comes with a price...

You nor I can have our cake and eat it too....

That is the problem with you right wingers... You want all the services of socialized society that benefit you personally but do not want to make any sacrifices ...

Simply classic!!!
Can't rep you again but thanks for adding what I forgot

Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Gov't likes to be the parent, but we aren't children
I take this to mean that it is the government that has made the 'house rule' to ban plastic bags.
Interesting....
In my county it was the people who brought the plastic bag ban to the table. It was the people who signed petitions, went to meetings, and voted.
Here the government is not being the parent and telling us to do something we don't want to do. We, as a community wanted this. I'm sure that in other areas that the idea to ban plastic bags came from the people and not the government.

I am also having a hard time figuring out how banning plastic bags raises the cost of living. Are you saying that because a person now must pay for a paper bag, this is the rise? Because that is an avoidable expense.

Where and when does it stop? When we run out of oil.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I take this to mean that it is the government that has made the 'house rule' to ban plastic bags.
Interesting....
In my county it was the people who brought the plastic bag ban to the table. It was the people who signed petitions, went to meetings, and voted.
Here the government is not being the parent and telling us to do something we don't want to do. We, as a community wanted this. I'm sure that in other areas that the idea to ban plastic bags came from the people and not the government.

I am also having a hard time figuring out how banning plastic bags raises the cost of living. Are you saying that because a person now must pay for a paper bag, this is the rise? Because that is an avoidable expense.

Where and when does it stop? When we run out of oil.
Good points. Almost all the bans were spear-headed or approved by the people. One interesting case is my County, Contra Costa. There is a proposed ban but only for the western part of the county. it's very likely that the more conservative eastern areas of the county didn't want a ban. I'm only guessing about this but if it's true, it goes to show that the people do have more control then some are willing to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California