Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times

Advertisements

Your current "missus" ain't that liberal eh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Only where it counts....

Old 12-28-2013, 02:34 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Of course the translation of this question is really: "Those Californians that live within thirty or so miles of the coast, do you ever get sick of the perfect weather?"

I was on a local trail yesterday and a guy that was visiting his son's family during the holidays spoke about the weather in Grass Valley (in the Sierras) where he lived. Four seasons and winter weather in the teens is not uncommon. I used to know someone in Truckee and that is even more frigid. So is South Lake Tahoe.

Then you have desert communities like Palm Springs, El Centro, Barstow, and Needles, and the easternmost suburbs of the LA region that have intolerable summer heat. Other cities with often severe summer heat IMO are Sacramento, most of the Central Valley, Chico, Redding, and Paso Robles.

I live in an area of Calfornia with a nearly perfect climate and I do not get sick of it. I do like seeing snow at a distance, though. I really like it when nearby Toro Peak in our area (Salinas region) gets a dusting of snow in the winter. It does not always happen...makes for a nice photograph. On rare occasions a dusting of snow can get as low as Laureles Grade (about halfway between Salinas and Monterey) and that is at just 1,500 feet elevation.

Overall, I have gotten used to the "perfect" weather. We do need a little more rain this year and hopefully that falls overnight. Aren't we spoiled compared to much of the country and even other areas of California!

Old 12-28-2013, 03:07 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Oh, and if you really do like beer check out San Diego as it is America's #1 beer city. We have more award winning local breweries than any other county in the country (almost 90 at last count which actually bottle and brew their own while there are dozens more who brew but only sell out of their pub and don't bottle). There is just a huge variety of very high quality local beers here even before you start looking at beers from outside the county.
Perfect weather and a variety of great beers is a winning combination! I have a couple friends in the San Diego area, too. One of them does not drink, but the other guy does. Twenty years ago the first choice for alcohol down there would have been a margarita in Old Town. Now it is micro brews!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:02 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,549 times
Seriously the weather in Southern California is pretty boring. Even though I live in the San Bernardino mountains where we DO have 4 seasons the constant and daily sunshine gets old after a while. It would be nice to have a few cold and cloudy days and some much needed rain. I've got 2 cords of firewood for the winter and have barely used any because it's just not as cold as it should be. We need rain and snow very badly otherwise this drought is going to get much worse.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
California is going to face the perfect storm next summer if this drought holds.

1. Poor planting conditions for both legal and illegal crops.
2. Power generation is up in the air
3. Very dry brush making for very big fires

I hope you guys get some rain soon.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:32 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post

Then you have desert communities like Palm Springs, El Centro, Barstow, and Needles, and the easternmost suburbs of the LA region that have intolerable summer heat. Other cities with often severe summer heat IMO are Sacramento, most of the Central Valley, Chico, Redding, and Paso Robles.
Sorry but anyone who groups Sacramento with the desert or the rest of the Central Valley and calls our summer "severe" needs to be corrected. Here we go again, coastal Californians pumping misinformation about Sacramento weather.

Sacramento summer weather has more comfortable-tolerable days, nights and mornings than most of the USA. Sacramento has the perfect humidity levels for temps in the 80's, 90's and high temps - 10-25%, neither bone dry, nor humid. Our humidity levels bring our heat index down 3-10 degrees on average in the summer. Most of the USA experiences higher heat indexes than Sacramento on average throughout the summer.

If fact, it cools so much on a typical summer night in Sacramento that our low summer temps are on par with the Pacific northwest(Seattle/Portland) not the southwest(Vegas/Phx).

Salinas/Monterey for many people is just too darn "cold" in the summer, rarely gets above 70 in the middle of the summer, too much fog and low clouds, rarely a full day of sunshine in the 80's/90's

Sacramento has 320 days of sunshine a year - now that might be too much for some - but we just head 1 hour southwest to the Bay Area if we want low clouds and fog in the summer.

90 in Sacramento, feels more like 84 on average and it cools in the evening and night into the high 50's with very comfortable mornings in the summer on average.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 PM

471 posts, read 600,703 times
To the OP, no, no, and no. I love love love the climate here.

Coastal southern California is the best in the world for me.

Morning low clouds and fog, perfect mixture of temperature and humidity.
Giving way to gentle hazy afternoon sun (filtered nicely so it doesn't burn) again, perfect mixture of temperature and humidity
Then, in the evening, the low clouds and fog roll back in and tuck in you in a night for a cozy sleep.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Number of Days where High Temp was 90 degrees or more, adjusted by Heat Index:

July 2013 data: These numbers are consistent with 30-40 year averages throughout the summer months.

31 days - Fresno, CA
30 days - Austin, TX
29 days - Dallas, TX
29 days - Orlando, FL

18 days - Washington, D.C.
15 days - St. Louis, MO
13 days - Sacramento, CA
8 days - Pasadena, CA
3 days - Portland, OR

2 days - San Jose, CA
1 day - Seattle, WA
1 day - Los Angeles, CA

Old 12-30-2013, 12:13 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
My question is, do you get sick of the year round warmth and sun, and virtually no change in seasons?
no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California