Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,851,458 times

Advertisements

[quote=Senno;28625080]I thought infinity pools were the hot thing for those living the good life.

Well, there are these:

Pool kinda thingies that allow one to keep swimming in hot water. Could get pretty messy, though.

Kind of sad if one pays megabucks for these to be installed inside when the weather outside is almost always quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,567,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I lived in Cali for 4 years.

The weather annoyed me.
Little variation, never really hot enough to enjoy the pool (always had to acclimate to the cold water) or ocean, no real thunderstorms...as someone who grew up on the equator and now lives somewhere we actually get cold/snow in the winter, I have to say that southern Cali weather cheezed me off.
Yes, it never gets very hot anywhere in Southern California and there's never any snow to be found anywhere.

It’s also a well-established anthropological fact mild temperatures that encourage people to be outside as much as possible makes those same people very angry.

Last edited by nslander; 03-11-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,463,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nightsky View Post
Gorgeous day today. No, I do not get sick of this awesome weather.
That's another nice thing about the weather here, folks are generally more upbeat! There's a good reason Seattle, with 152 sunny days per year, gets the reputation as the ''Suicide Capital'' of the country. Though in reality that ''honor'' goes to Alaska, with 126 sunny days a year!

10 Myths About US Cities and States Debunked - Forbes

Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 AM

19,223 posts, read 16,723,434 times
I believe you are right mateo45. I feel much better when the sun is shining which is why I've reconsidered moving to the PNW. It's a lovely place but I don't think I could handle nine months of gray for only three months of sunshine.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,905,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I believe you are right mateo45. I feel much better when the sun is shining which is why I've reconsidered moving to the PNW. It's a lovely place but I don't think I could handle nine months of gray for only three months of sunshine.
You are wise to pause and consider very carefully. Besides the gloom of persistent elephant's arse gray, I have a climate test worked out for prospective North-westerners. I have published this test several times to great aclaim in the Washington State forum. Goes like this:

Strip down buck nekked and toss your clothes in the washing machine.
After the spin cycle, put them on wet.
Wearing your damp clothing, walk to your kitchen.
Turn off the light and draw the shades.
Open your refrigerator door and unscrew the light.
Place a fan inside and turn it on high.
Stand in front of the chill air blowing on you in your damp clothes in the dark-- for oh, about 12 hours.
That's it.
If you enjoyed the test, you may have potential to survive from two weeks before Halloween thru July 4th every year, when the sun magically appears for 3 - 4 months.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 AM

19,223 posts, read 16,723,434 times
That was funny, nullgeo. Have to give you a rep for your humor, when I'm allowed. I must have given you one not too long ago. Just reading it made me want to crawl into bed and pull the comforter over my head. I do have another place in mind but it's more inland and sunnier. I can always drive to view the lighthouses, I don't have to live by them.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You are wise to pause and consider very carefully. Besides the gloom of persistent elephant's arse gray, I have a climate test worked out for prospective North-westerners. I have published this test several times to great aclaim in the Washington State forum. Goes like this:

Strip down buck nekked and toss your clothes in the washing machine.
After the spin cycle, put them on wet.
Wearing your damp clothing, walk to your kitchen.
Turn off the light and draw the shades.
Open your refrigerator door and unscrew the light.
Place a fan inside and turn it on high.
Stand in front of the chill air blowing on you in your damp clothes in the dark-- for oh, about 12 hours.
That's it.
If you enjoyed the test, you may have potential to survive from two weeks before Halloween thru July 4th every year, when the sun magically appears for 3 - 4 months.
LOL... that's just about right! And then imagine trying to chat, work, play etc. with a buncha other folks who've just undergone the same "test"!

It's why they say Northwesterners don't tan, they just rust!!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
It's why they say Northwesterners don't tan, they just rust!!
And those with iron deficiencies must just mold.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Probably not far from the truth! Mold is a big problem up there due to the constant dampness, and I also never really appreciated the importance of a low-humidity climate until the dry heat here, where even well over 90 degrees is really no problem, compared to the same 90-some degrees with over 90% humidity elsewhere!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 AM

8,219 posts, read 16,714,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That was funny, nullgeo. Have to give you a rep for your humor, when I'm allowed. I must have given you one not too long ago. Just reading it made me want to crawl into bed and pull the comforter over my head. I do have another place in mind but it's more inland and sunnier. I can always drive to view the lighthouses, I don't have to live by them.
Yeah, my brother-in-law grew up in more Central WA and swears they have much more sun per year than west of the Cascades. I think he lived near Yakima County which is ~ 2 hours SE of Seattle. Its drier being in the rain shadow of the Cascades and cooler as well. Probably the best part is its only ~ 1 hour to Mt.Rainier NP's 'Sunrise' side.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California