Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
And hurling even more of it and more hatred back solves nothing. But that would take some common sense and maturity to discern. Seething anger does nothing but destroy the vessel that harbors it.
I used to post why I moved. One of the things which I love about where I live now (and I grew up and was born in socal) is that outside the small town I live you have open land, with bunches of trees and ponds and it may not be grandure, but its sure nice to see over more concrete. Even the little towns around us are sepereate with open land. I know California has beautiful places too, but we could never drop everything to go out to a state or national park. But we go to Stillwater and its a very nice drive on a two lane road with lots of trees and grass. And I have three huge old trees in my yard.

I've never said that for everyone its a bad place to live, with all the concrete and mass of people and they should all come here. But every time someone has to pop up with you could move north (other factors like cost do count) and Yosemite. I want it to be there and be magestic and yet its not the same as having real trees around you and real open space nearby at home. We all have our preferences. This if mine. As far as I can see, if someone says they don't like the urban, no nature, too many people environment and moved there is no need to defend California or wave Yosemite. Each of us CAN like what we like without saying others have to. And if this place I moved to doesn't sound like someone's idea of home, then its perfectly fine for them to *not* move here. In fact I don't want them to. Being unhappy about where you live is never a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 02:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I used to post why I moved. One of the things which I love about where I live now (and I grew up and was born in socal) is that outside the small town I live you have open land, with bunches of trees and ponds and it may not be grandure, but its sure nice to see over more concrete. Even the little towns around us are sepereate with open land. I know California has beautiful places too, but we could never drop everything to go out to a state or national park. But we go to Stillwater and its a very nice drive on a two lane road with lots of trees and grass. And I have three huge old trees in my yard.

I've never said that for everyone its a bad place to live, with all the concrete and mass of people and they should all come here. But every time someone has to pop up with you could move north (other factors like cost do count) and Yosemite. I want it to be there and be magestic and yet its not the same as having real trees around you and real open space nearby at home. We all have our preferences. This if mine. As far as I can see, if someone says they don't like the urban, no nature, too many people environment and moved there is no need to defend California or wave Yosemite. Each of us CAN like what we like without saying others have to. And if this place I moved to doesn't sound like someone's idea of home, then its perfectly fine for them to *not* move here. In fact I don't want them to. Being unhappy about where you live is never a good thing.
I for one can respect your decision. Although I will be the first person to mention what CA has going for it (like Yosemite), I also moved away because I wanted more nature and more green in close proximity to me. Now I have green all around me. I have a view of the ocean and mountains out the same window. My wife is strong arming me into moving back to CA. We might move back after the kid gets out of school. I liked CA but I like Washington more. I get where you are coming from. There is a lot of irony in how some people slam anyone that rants when they leave CA by using equally vile ranting towards the rest of America. It becomes a huff and puff match between someone that hates CA and someone that hates all of America except CA.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:56 PM

462 posts, read 742,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I for one can respect your decision. Although I will be the first person to mention what CA has going for it (like Yosemite), I also moved away because I wanted more nature and more green in close proximity to me. Now I have green all around me. I have a view of the ocean and mountains out the same window. My wife is strong arming me into moving back to CA. We might move back after the kid gets out of school. I liked CA but I like Washington more. I get where you are coming from. There is a lot of irony in how some people slam anyone that rants when they leave CA by using equally vile ranting towards the rest of America. It becomes a huff and puff match between someone that hates CA and someone that hates all of America except CA.
Just curious why is your wife strong arming you to go back? I know you had mentioned that weather wasn't a factor either....

Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Just curious why is your wife strong arming you to go back? I know you had mentioned that weather wasn't a factor either....
She doesn't think the place fits her. She loves the look and feel of CA. She also loves Italy and Spain, two places that look similar. She might come around. Weather definitely isn't a factor. The weather has been pretty nice this year. I prefer Washington but I didn't hate CA. It will bite having to pay state income taxes again. I could buy a nice car and pay for it with the savings I'm enjoying. That's what humors me as I've moved from state to state. I always wonder what the heck the extra money goes to? WA is socially responsible and environmentally conscious yet I don't have to pay as much for it. You'd think larger states would enjoy certain efficiencies that would lower the amount they need to operate. In my over simplified mind, CA should have one of the lowest tax rates in the nation.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
She doesn't think the place fits her. She loves the look and feel of CA. She also loves Italy and Spain, two places that look similar. She might come around. Weather definitely isn't a factor. The weather has been pretty nice this year. I prefer Washington but I didn't hate CA. It will bite having to pay state income taxes again. I could buy a nice car and pay for it with the savings I'm enjoying. That's what humors me as I've moved from state to state. I always wonder what the heck the extra money goes to? WA is socially responsible and environmentally conscious yet I don't have to pay as much for it. You'd think larger states would enjoy certain efficiencies that would lower the amount they need to operate. In my over simplified mind, CA should have one of the lowest tax rates in the nation.
Hah, Tax and spend mentality of CA, that'll never happen. The state has 1/3rd of the entire US welfare recipients (but only about 12-13% of population), thats where your money goes, and funding the huge bureaucracy of the state.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Being unhappy about where you live is never a good thing.
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

We have infinite gripe posts on C-D about people hating where they live...but just won't move. Curious behavior.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
The state has 1/3rd of the entire US welfare recipients (but only about 12-13% of population), thats where your money goes, and funding the huge bureaucracy of the state.
Guess where they come from? Other states that tossed them aside. Thanks everybody

Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Guess where they come from? Other states that tossed them aside. Thanks everybody
I seriously hope you are being sarcastic. If you bothered to even take a look at the data, CA has had a net domestic migration loss since 1980. CA's population growth is due to mostly immigration as has been stated repeatedly. Its not coming from "other states tossing them aside". And you wonder why your state's finances are in the state they are in.......

Old 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I seriously hope you are being sarcastic. If you bothered to even take a look at the data, CA has had a net domestic migration loss since 1980. CA's population growth is due to mostly immigration as has been stated repeatedly. Its not coming from "other states tossing them aside". And you wonder why your state's finances are in the state they are in.......
In the nonprofit business, we are made quite aware of the people who come here from elsewhere specifically because they can get help here, as opposed to where they came from. The other 49 make up a great deal of that migration of the needy, and many do their part in nudging them our way (So nobody has to pay state income tax! Isn't that nice?). People who need public assistance don't just come from across the sea or over the border.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
In the nonprofit business, we are made quite aware of the people who come here from elsewhere specifically because they can get help here, as opposed to where they came from. The other 49 make up a great deal of that migration of the needy, and many do their part in nudging them our way (So nobody has to pay state income tax! Isn't that nice?). People who need public assistance don't just come from across the sea or over the border.
Exactly, and it causes a strain on CA's financial resources and social services. The state WILL go bankrupt if current trends continue. If people paying into those systems continue leaving and leaving nothing but people who draw from the system, it cannot support itself. Shouldn't CA be focused on luring taxpayers in instead of pushing them out like they have been doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California