Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Exactly, and it causes a strain on CA's financial resources and social services. The state WILL go bankrupt if current trends continue. If people paying into those systems continue leaving and leaving nothing but people who draw from the system, it cannot support itself. Shouldn't CA be focused on luring taxpayers in instead of pushing them out like they have been doing?
Shouldn't these places from whence these folks came be taking care of their own instead of putting them on the one-way bus to CA? (The latest getting caught for this stuff, this year, being Hawaii and Nevada)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 PM

462 posts, read 741,538 times
Why should states provide limitless welfare for lazy people who do not want to work or have a ton of children with no means to pay for them? Had to burst your little naive bubble, but its not sustainable for CA to continue being the "welfare state" something's gotta give eventually. Those "other states" likely have limits to welfare so they dont go bankrupt themselves.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:32 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
In the nonprofit business, we are made quite aware of the people who come here from elsewhere specifically because they can get help here, as opposed to where they came from. The other 49 make up a great deal of that migration of the needy, and many do their part in nudging them our way (So nobody has to pay state income tax! Isn't that nice?). People who need public assistance don't just come from across the sea or over the border.
If you are depicting it as it actually is, then it lends credence to the principle that you get less of what you tax and more of what you subsidize. I don't know how accurate your depiction is though. Only 9 states have no income tax. Of those Washington is the most unique in that it is also a liberal state. There are no busses transporting the poor and homeless to CA. HI and NV sending some people couldn't have made even a minuscule dent.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 PM

462 posts, read 741,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
There are no busses transporting the poor and homeless to CA.
Ya, I thought that didnt sound right either, I was stating hypothetically speaking.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
There are no busses transporting the poor and homeless to CA.
Oh no? They're getting here somehow. The folks on the Haight and in GGP will surely tell you it was by bus. I would query wobbly folks in the 'Loin, but they're just too friggin' crazy.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Oh no? They're getting here somehow. The folks on the Haight and in GGP will surely tell you it was by bus. I would query wobbly folks in the 'Loin, but they're just too friggin' crazy.
Some people I tell ya
Quote:
The City of San Francisco has filed a lawsuit against Nevada for discharging psychiatric hospital patients too early and busing them out of state in a practice that's become known as "patient dumping."
Quote:
The lawsuit claims these patients needed further care at the time they were relocated, and went on to cost San Francisco taxpayers $500,000.
San Francisco Sues Nevada Over 'Patient Dumping' - ABC News

Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Now if only the notorious Nimby's in California would leave!!!

Wouldn't that create a mega construction boom!!!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Now if only the notorious Nimby's in California would leave!!!

Wouldn't that create a mega construction boom!!!
Great. Where are you going to put all these people, and how many habitats shall be destroyed in the process?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
The state has 1/3rd of the entire US welfare recipients
This is statistically impossible.

According to the Census Bureau's 2012 estimates, the biggest 'program' is public health and of the 96 million Americans who recieve health care from the govt, 11 million live in CA.

11 million is not a third of 96 million.

As far as cash public assistance, the Census Bureau says out of 3.3 million Americans who recieve such aid, 500,000 live in CA.

The percentages are roughly the same for SSI and food stamps.

So it seems that your point is largely inaccurate.

Quote:
(but only about 12-13% of population), thats where your money goes, and funding the huge bureaucracy of the state.
I can dig this but its generally unrelated to welfare and actually caring for those who need it.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Because they were tied up, put on a bus and forcibly shipped out? This is a red herring. By that I mean that whatever the financial costs of this it can't possibly amount to anything that would be considered substantial budget wise. If I were homeless in TN I'd do my best to make it to CA. Bus is probably cheapest so that is what I would try. I'd come to CA for the good weather, rich tourists to panhandle, and assistance. The article that Gentoo posted mentions 500 people. Could 500 people make a dent in CA? Again, you get less of what you tax and more of what you subsidize. Right wrong or indifferent, this is just how humans work.

And how can you not fathom a place that is pretty darned expensive to live might have a lot of homeless? Does that take a leap of faith?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California