Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:32 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times

Advertisements

No real shock here but interesting to see where other states rank in comparison.

The Relative Value of $100 Changes by State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 02:35 PM

444 posts, read 665,318 times
That's sucks! Time to move to Texas and stop pissin and moanin! Right mbell?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
I hear Mississippi is lovely in the Spring.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Analytics...nerd nonsense. The intangibles, they matter.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:33 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Let's all focus on becoming #1 and give DC a run for their money.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Your best bet is to live brown/orange.
You get good bang for buck without foregoing amenities.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
No real shock here but interesting to see where other states rank in comparison.

The Relative Value of $100 Changes by State
Shh! Did you hear that? I could swear I heard Arkansas and Mississippi calling to you.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:57 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Today I took a drive out to Palos Verdes Peninsula. The sky was clear, sun was shining, temperature was over 80F/27C at mid day, and there was a light breeze. The ocean water was calm, there were hundreds of boats on the water. This is mid February, and it felt like heaven on earth. Priceless.

I haven't turned on the heat in my apartment since January 2. All the windows are wide open this afternoon. Most of the extra money I would save by living in most of those low cost of living places would be spent on heating bills in winter and AC bills in summer. Also I don't have to spend big bucks on an expensive vacation to escape a low cost place with climate extremes or lack of local amenities. I worked in low cost Georgia and lived in low cost Alabama for a couple of years in the late 1990s, so I know the trade offs.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,919 times
The one thing that article shows, once again, is that money isn't everything. Of course Mississippi is less expensive than California. Everyone knows that. But it's worth the extra money to live in California instead of Mississippi. At least, that's what I, and a lot of other people, think.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Today I took a drive out to Palos Verdes Peninsula. The sky was clear, sun was shining, temperature was over 80F/27C at mid day, and there was a light breeze. The ocean water was calm, there were hundreds of boats on the water. This is mid February, and it felt like heaven on earth. Priceless.

I haven't turned on the heat in my apartment since January 2. All the windows are wide open this afternoon. Most of the extra money I would save by living in most of those low cost of living places would be spent on heating bills in winter and AC bills in summer. Also I don't have to spend big bucks on an expensive vacation to escape a low cost place with climate extremes or lack of local amenities. I worked in low cost Georgia and lived in low cost Alabama for a couple of years in the late 1990s, so I know the trade offs.
Excellent post. There are many places $100 would go further including Plano, TX. Only problem is when you wake up in the morning in your new, fancy house and look out the window you are still in... Plano, TX!

We experienced the same thing in moving to Colorado. Granted waking up to CO is a lot nicer than Plano as are many other less expensive locations. But with no decent coastline for 1000s of miles it was a real deal breaker for us. Sometimes you don't know what you've got 'till its gone.

Bottom line is this: which location provides you the best quality of life 'all' things considered? If a loaf of bread and gallon of gas are cheaper somewhere will that place really provide you the 'overall' quality of life you seek? Cheaper goods alone do not really matter in the end if you are unhappy with where you live. Will that new Shangri La offer things which may matter more such as culture, climate, amenities, geographic diversity, natural beauty and other less tangible qualities of significance? There is no one right answer to this question. But if the answer for you is yes then please move to TX, NC, FL, TN, MO, KS, AK, etc... and enjoy! It's really that simple, isn't it? CA is not for everyone, though millions of people happily call it home. And many others are still trying to find their way here. So why stay if its not a good fit and you are miserable? Life is too short for that.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-14-2015 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California