Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:56 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I will speak to the Bay Area culture, which I experienced a lot in Oregon. It seems to reek of superiority, and has a notable lack of self-irony and humor. All the charm of a broccoli salad. I assume that much of this comes from the Brahmin class of NE Yankees that helped found the Bay Area, bringing their humorless self-satisfaction along.
I was trying to explain to an acquaintance once why we are moving out of the Bay Area in a couple of years. My husband, as usual, cut to the chase: "Most people who live here are snobs."

Quote:
I think the main thing Californians need to do is to listen and show curiosity about other folks from other places, and laugh along with them when they fling a little dirt on the Golden State.
I've been here for well over 30 years and I'm telling you that is never going to happen.

If you tell someone from the Bay Area you eat meat, more likely than not you'll be lectured on the evils of animal protein and how selfish you are because raising cattle consumes scarce resources. From North Dakota? You allow fracking which produces radioactive ground water. Idaho? You're all white supremacist skinheads. Arizona? Not just racists but violent racists with massive assault weapon caches in every home.

Bay Area people have zero curiosity about folks from other states because they are certain they know everything there is to know already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I was trying to explain to an acquaintance once why we are moving out of the Bay Area in a couple of years. My husband, as usual, cut to the chase: "Most people who live here are snobs."

I've been here for well over 30 years and I'm telling you that is never going to happen.

If you tell someone from the Bay Area you eat meat, more likely than not you'll be lectured on the evils of animal protein and how selfish you are because raising cattle consumes scarce resources. From North Dakota? You allow fracking which produces radioactive ground water. Idaho? You're all white supremacist skinheads. Arizona? Not just racists but violent racists with massive assault weapon caches in every home.

Bay Area people have zero curiosity about folks from other states because they are certain they know everything there is to know already.
Wow, you are so negative that you might have more of a problem than you anticipate in finding utopia

Old 06-22-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Whoa Nelly. Maybe the really rich people in SF act like NE Brahmins, but there are a whole lotta us that grew up in blue collar families here. And what you describe is not so among the class I grew up in, in the east Bay Area - San Leandro to be exact. My dad was an Oakland cop of Irish immigrants from New York who moved to Oakland, and my Mom also moved to Oakland at around 10 years old, from middle class French people from Maine. My French grandfather moved to the Bay Area as an engineer to work on building the Nimitz Freeway, which is now Interstate 880.

Neither the French or Irish sides of my family were rich snobby people.
You're absolutely right. The East Bay, especially the lower East Bay, is a different culture. It's practically a different economy. I can say that having lived there first and now for the last several decades lived on the Peninsula.

So many things are less expensive in the East Bay, precisely for the reason you cite: blue collar workers. I'm remodeling our rental home in Fremont and am stunned at the difference in labor costs between the two sides of the Bay. I wish I could bring some of those laborers over here to work on my house. If I pay $1000 in Fremont, it costs me $2500 here.

It's still a region of immigrants. North Fremont is populated largely by Indians, Chinese, Filipinos... For the most part they are decent hard-working folks who don't have effete San Francisco attitudes.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Whoa Nelly. Maybe the really rich people in SF act like NE Brahmins, but there are a whole lotta us that grew up in blue collar families here. And what you describe is not so among the class I grew up in, in the east Bay Area - San Leandro to be exact. My dad was an Oakland cop of Irish immigrants from New York who moved to Oakland, and my Mom also moved to Oakland at around 10 years old, from middle class French people from Maine. My French grandfather moved to the Bay Area as an engineer to work on building the Nimitz Freeway, which is now Interstate 880.

Neither the French or Irish sides of my family were rich snobby people.

Really, does it matter what anyone thinks about how evil California is? None of your opinions will make me want to leave it.

I guess some people need to justify their failure here, as somehow caused by unfriendly people?

Don't know. Don't care.

BTW, I hear people in Paris are also unfriendly. And yet, it continues to be a very desirable destination :-)
EXACTLY! My Dad and my Paternal Grandfather each spent over 30 years working in a dynamite factory in Point Pinole. My maternal Grandfather worked at Standard Oil for 50 years. My mother was a short order cook in a bay area restaurant, my maternal Grandmother a housewife who fed the homeless before most people in the bay area even knew there were homeless. My brother was Deputy Chief of Police in a Bay Area City for 20 years, my uncle was a Fire Captain in the Bay Area, another uncle was a utility worker for EBMUD & another made toilets at American Standard. My ancestors were French Basque, Norwegian & Swedish, all immigrated to the West Coast from their native countries between 1900 and 1910. Hardly "brahmins"

Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Wow, you are so negative that you might have more of a problem than you anticipate in finding utopia
Found it already, but thanks for the fake concern.

See what happens when someone tells the truth? A couple of years ago I realized we were keeping our voices low when we talked with friends at dinner. Politically-incorrect opinions are not well-tolerated here.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:05 AM

335 posts, read 329,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Maybe native Californians are just tired of having our state raped, to the point of no longer being able to live there.
And yet somehow 38 million manage to nhabit the place.

Forums are funny.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
There seems to be a serious hatred in many areas of the country of CA. It's like a lot of people went in the 70s and 80s after the summer of love to "find themselves." They showed up on LA or SF and got a job at a local coffee shop and subsequently returned home with their tails between their legs.
This is one of the most asinine things I've ever read here. Nobody returns home with their "tail between their legs" because they moved somewhere and didn't like it.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:53 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You're absolutely right. The East Bay, especially the lower East Bay, is a different culture. It's practically a different economy. I can say that having lived there first and now for the last several decades lived on the Peninsula.

So many things are less expensive in the East Bay, precisely for the reason you cite: blue collar workers. I'm remodeling our rental home in Fremont and am stunned at the difference in labor costs between the two sides of the Bay. I wish I could bring some of those laborers over here to work on my house. If I pay $1000 in Fremont, it costs me $2500 here.

It's still a region of immigrants. North Fremont is populated largely by Indians, Chinese, Filipinos... For the most part they are decent hard-working folks who don't have effete San Francisco attitudes.

LOL, you just completely contradicted what you wrote two posts ago.

If you found the East Bay less pretentious than you should have stayed there.

Let's hope you get out of CA soon, before your head explodes.

And you're quite wrong regarding Californians not being critical of CA, I know a few CA natives who are have said many negative things about CA, and yes they all still live here.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:27 PM

595 posts, read 560,734 times
Yep Californians are brainwashed by the west coast sun to think their economy will grow infinitely and good weather solves everything. The loudest pro Californians tend to have no knowledge of statistics and cite anecdotal evidence as if it represents the entire population.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:14 PM

335 posts, read 329,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
Yep Californians are brainwashed by the west coast sun to think their economy will grow infinitely and good weather solves everything. The loudest pro Californians tend to have no knowledge of statistics and cite anecdotal evidence as if it represents the entire population.
Thanks for the insight on California character, superbly supported by such depth of statistical evidence as you post in lieu of anecdotes.

And speaking of anecdotes, did you hear the one where a New Yorker a Texan and a California walked into a bar ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California