Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 03:12 PM

76 posts, read 71,009 times

Advertisements

Simple.

If anybody who lives in CA is wishy-washy about their feelings towards living there, they would leave immediately. It's the most expensive state in the continental US to live in.

People that stay overwhelming stay because they love it. The financial sacrifice invariably triggers a form a pride.

Most people in the Midwest are there because they can't afford to live anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:18 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofitall View Post
Simple.

If anybody who lives in CA is wishy-washy about their feelings towards living there, they would leave immediately. It's the most expensive state in the continental US to live in.
No, it's not.

Quote:
Most people in the Midwest are there because they can't afford to live anywhere else.
Most people in the Midwest are there because they are from there and are perfectly happy with that or that is where they make a living. Most people care more about providing for their family and spending time with their friends and family than where on the map they live.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-22-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 04:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofitall View Post
Simple.

People that stay overwhelming stay because they love it. The financial sacrifice invariably triggers a form a pride.

It's really not that simple at all. A lot of us stay here because it's where we are from, have all of our family and close friends, and are rooted. Pretty much the same reasons a lot of people stay where they are whether it's the Midwest, South, Northeast, etc.. Not everyone that stays in CA "loves" it so much they just can't leave, some just choose to stay because it's home and where they are comfortable. It's not easy for a lot of people to just uproot their lives and go live somewhere else even if part of them wants to.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:03 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
I'd love to get out of this Communist party hellhole but sav858 above said why I wont very well along with I'm too old now.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:36 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
This is one of the most asinine things I've ever read here. Nobody returns home with their "tail between their legs" because they moved somewhere and didn't like it.
Bs. How many people go out to hollywood, fail become quasi-homeless and live in their cars then return home to their Midwestern city ashamed? The answer...a lot

Old 06-22-2015, 07:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
No, it's not.

Most people in the Midwest are there because they are from there and are perfectly happy with that or that is where they make a living. Most people care more about providing for their family and spending time with their friends and family than where on the map they live.

And you could say the same thing about anywhere in the country including CA. People in CA provide for their family and want to be around family and long time friends.

There is one poster who thinks everything is going to be perfect in TX because her husband transferred his job and they can buy a big house, hopefully it works out, but when you leave a place where you have family and longtime friends for a place where you don't know anyone, it may not be so perfect.

As you get older it's harder to make friends, and these days with everyone walking around texting and less human interaction, not easy to meet people.

Better like that big house in TX, you may find yourself spending a lot of time in it thinking about all you left behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's really not that simple at all. A lot of us stay here because it's where we are from, have all of our family and close friends, and are rooted. Pretty much the same reasons a lot of people stay where they are whether it's the Midwest, South, Northeast, etc.. Not everyone that stays in CA "loves" it so much they just can't leave, some just choose to stay because it's home and where they are comfortable. It's not easy for a lot of people to just uproot their lives and go live somewhere else even if part of them wants to.
Very true. When you pick up and move it doesn't always work out the way people think it will.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you could say the same thing about anywhere in the country including CA. People in CA provide for their family and want to be around family and long time friends

There is one poster who thinks everything is going to be perfect in TX because her husband transferred his job and they can buy a big house, hopefully it works out, but when you leave a place where you have family and longtime friends for a place where you don't know anyone, it may not be so perfect.

As you get older it's harder to make friends, and these days with everyone walking around texting and less human interaction, not easy to meet people.

Better like that big house in TX, you may find yourself spending a lot of time in it thinking about all you left behind.
I know there are many people in CA who want to stay there because they're from there. I wouldn't deny that for a second. I was just addressing the poster who said most people in the Midwest live there because they can't afford to live anywhere else.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Bs. How many people go out to hollywood, fail become quasi-homeless and live in their cars then return home to their Midwestern city ashamed? The answer...a lot
One of my best friends was drafted by an MLB team. Never made it past Single A. He did not come home with his "tail between his legs."

Old 06-22-2015, 11:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

If you tell someone from the Bay Area you eat meat, more likely than not you'll be lectured on the evils of animal protein and how selfish you are because raising cattle consumes scarce resources.
I'm from the Bay Area, and I can't think of one vegetarian that I know there.

Heck, doesn't Whole Foods even have meat?

And really, you think the millions of people who live in the Bay Area are going to be barbecuing veggies on the Fourth of July?

Blanket statements about an entire population is ....uninformed at best.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:30 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Honestly, a lot of it has to do with the nature of the attacks on the state.

California has been turned into a sort of Snidely Whiplash villain by conservative talk show hosts, who love to portray it as dynsfunctional and out of money and pretty much the epicenter of everything they think is wrong with America. You know, the way they treated New York before 2001.

Listen to some of the ill-informed critiques of California and notice that the wording is often suspiciously similar, especially when the claim is outright false. I don't know how many times I've heard some arch-conservative refer to California as "bankrupt" or San Diego as "broke." The talk radio overlords seem to believe that we pay a 50% tax rate out here (my tax forms say otherwise), every house in the state costs $1000000 and is owned by a Chinese investor, and immigrants from Mexico have taken over all of our high-tech jobs, so the only way to get by is to work three minimum wage jobs and share a studio apartment with four friends, and even then your kids will join a drug gang while in school.

It's a kaleidoscopic mix of paranoia, racism, and political grandstanding. After a while, you get tired of it.
Ding Ding Ding!! Winner!!

Dittohead culture may be fun to participate in, but it sho' don't make it right. Or wait...it is right. But not correct. Wait, you're not allowed to say correct. Because it isn't...right. (Damn, these baggers are good.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California