Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 03:40 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,744,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDenizen View Post
ISIS loves him, Trump is like their best way to recruit.
Ain't that the truth. The last thing we need is an american politician spreading more hatred. People like trump are fueled by it. And to have a president with that kind of vileness and hatred?! Wow! No joke ... if that happens, we're headed for trouble. I'll make a run for Canada! I will not want to live in a country that is so blind and misguided. G.W. was bad enough but that bozo?! If trump is elected as president it will be an indication that too much of this country has gotten very stupid / brainwashed and basically has gone insane ... just lost it. Seriously.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:44 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
Quote:
ISIS loves him, Trump is like their best way to recruit.
Yep. Trump isn't gonna "finally stop the ISIS menace". His rhetoric is more likely to drive at-heart moderate Muslims over the edge and into the radicals, if not ISIS itself. How many people have ever changed their attitude simply because loud-mouthed abusive types verbally crucified them? Not many. I wish there were a quick fix to the ISIS problem just as much as anybody does, but there is not. The only way to permanently defeat ISIS (or any form of radicalism) is to convince people that their theology does not deserve to be taken seriously. A long battle, yes, but one achievable with less blood and tears than in other battles (considering that blood and tears only fuels future generations of radicalism, it is a quicker route to long-term sustainable victory against Islamic radicalisms of any sort).

This is altogether different from pacifism. In fact, I think military force does have a legitimate purpose. But this simple macho kick a** and take names approach is not gonna work. Life is not like Call of Duty (or whatever the popular shoot 'em up RPG is at the moment). Anybody who thinks otherwise needs to read up on Ancient Sparta. What ideas of theirs does any philosopher, scientist, political reformer, etc truly take seriously today?

Old 01-24-2016, 03:45 AM

218 posts, read 199,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

This is downright terrifying and frightening. Living in the Bay Area culture bubble, I forget how damned ignorant some in this country really are.
I always admired the fact America never elected extremists and I thought the election of Obama and the increasingly strong power of minorities would stop any racist or bigot from being President or even nominate of a party. In Europe we got a real rise of far-right or far-left people and their election is possible because white people like me are still a big majority, here in France we're around 80% white, like America in the 80s.
But in the US with 63% they shouldn't have the power to bring someone like Trump into power, he would need 65-70% of the white vote to be elected, is that even possible? Romney got 60% despite being moderate and it was not enough.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Ain't that the truth. The last thing we need is an american politician spreading more hatred. People like trump are fueled by it. And to have a president with that kind of vileness and hatred?! Wow! No joke ... if that happens, we're headed for trouble. I'll make a run for Canada! I will not want to live in a country that is so blind and misguided. G.W. was bad enough but that bozo?! If trump is elected as president it will be an indication that too much of this country has gotten very stupid / brainwashed and basically has gone insane ... just lost it. Seriously.
I'm French and I always loved America, I want to live and work there and honestly Bush and Obama never bothered me in the least given I'm financially conservative and socially liberal, they all had something to please me despite their flaws.
But Trump, and at a lesser extent Sanders, really gives me a heartach, what happened to the America we love all around the world? Why this sudden hatred? Please guys, there is nothing I can't do because I'm a foreigner but you need to fight guys with all your might, the future and brand of the country is at stake, more than ever ! I believe in America, if you fight with determination you can stop him. But don't fight him in Cali because he won't be able to win there it's impossible. Fight him in the battleground states, use the power of the Internet...If he loses Florida and Nevada that should be enough.

After that this kind of candidate would be over forever I think because the share of the white vote will be too low to win with bigotry.

Good luck

Old 01-24-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Yep. Trump isn't gonna "finally stop the ISIS menace". His rhetoric is more likely to drive at-heart moderate Muslims over the edge and into the radicals, if not ISIS itself. How many people have ever changed their attitude simply because loud-mouthed abusive types verbally crucified them? Not many. I wish there were a quick fix to the ISIS problem just as much as anybody does, but there is not. The only way to permanently defeat ISIS (or any form of radicalism) is to convince people that their theology does not deserve to be taken seriously. A long battle, yes, but one achievable with less blood and tears than in other battles (considering that blood and tears only fuels future generations of radicalism, it is a quicker route to long-term sustainable victory against Islamic radicalisms of any sort).

This is altogether different from pacifism. In fact, I think military force does have a legitimate purpose. But this simple macho kick a** and take names approach is not gonna work. Life is not like Call of Duty (or whatever the popular shoot 'em up RPG is at the moment). Anybody who thinks otherwise needs to read up on Ancient Sparta. What ideas of theirs does any philosopher, scientist, political reformer, etc truly take seriously today?
Middle East is so complicated but some people just think we're too brainy and that is really simple, a good bomb and it's over! My father is like that sometimes, but you know if you talk to him why it is not that simple he will change his mind and calm down. Trump supporters just don't have the chance to have educated, knowledgeable people explaining them why you can't solve that the easy way, why it is complicated. People, experts, just need to talk with them, not treating them like trash. Respect, talks..can help.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:29 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
Quote:
Middle East is so complicated but some people just think we're too brainy and that is really simple, a good bomb and it's over! My father is like that sometimes, but you know if you talk to him why it is not that simple he will change his mind and calm down. Trump supporters just don't have the chance to have educated, knowledgeable people explaining them why you can't solve that the easy way, why it is complicated. People, experts, just need to talk with them, not treating them like trash. Respect, talks..can help.
Yep, in my experience, many reactionaries and radicals (US, not European, definition/connotation) ultimately react to whatever happens in their personal lives - not because of what they see on the news. Not always, but enough of the time so that the responsible thing to do is to take their concerns about this and that seriously, and work with them to see what the actual problem is. Yeah, in the short run it won't quiet the extremists, but in the long run it'll actually lead to a quicker defeat of extremist views precisely because it robs the fence-sitters of any motivation (i.e. personalized attacks against them/their beliefs) that will drive them to "The Dark Side" (however one defines it to be).

Old 01-24-2016, 05:10 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
I always admired the fact America never elected extremists and I thought the election of Obama and the increasingly strong power of minorities would stop any racist or bigot from being President or even nominate of a party. In Europe we got a real rise of far-right or far-left people and their election is possible because white people like me are still a big majority, here in France we're around 80% white, like America in the 80s.
But in the US with 63% they shouldn't have the power to bring someone like Trump into power, he would need 65-70% of the white vote to be elected, is that even possible? Romney got 60% despite being moderate and it was not enough.
We are still in the primary season so we have a LONG way to go. This isn't a majority of the American populace putting Trump as the frontrunner. This is just a large faction of the Republican base that has him in the lead for the Republican nomiation. Let's see if he gets the nomination to even run for president first before saying America is radical

Old 01-24-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
We are still in the primary season so we have a LONG way to go. This isn't a majority of the American populace putting Trump as the frontrunner. This is just a large faction of the Republican base that has him in the lead for the Republican nomiation. Let's see if he gets the nomination to even run for president first before saying America is radical
You're right, let's wait & see 😊

Old 01-24-2016, 10:06 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
But Trump, and at a lesser extent Sanders, really gives me a heartach, what happened to the America we love all around the world?
I'm intrigued. Trump and Sanders lumped together again. Let's take this apart a bit.

Trump:
Racial /religious bigot
Jingoist protectionist advocating walling off America
Sexist to an extreme
Opportunstically insulting as convenience offers (disabled, POW'S, other politicians, etc.)
Multi-billionaire and confessed political manipulator with his money
Sociopathc narcissist meglomaniac
Sells his personal brand without any governing policy details or even coherence, using mostly 4th grade level monosyllabic words in simple sentences focused on stimulating fear and danger.

Sanders:
- Lifelong civil rights activist
- Anti-war activist
- Advocate for Universal healthcare for all in the world's only advanced nation without such system, where healthcare costs are the highest by far with lowest outcomes among all advanced nations.
- Anti-big money influence in politics and the only candidate running on individual voter contributions and without SuperPac support.
- Policy focus on curbing Wall St. type financial excess and on reviving the economic balance of wealth distribution required to sustain the middle-class and capitalism
- Advocate for free advanced education for any qualified persons desiring to go to college
Proposing an optimistic governing platform using thoughtful multi-syllabic language at an average 10th grade level.

Read the above while humming the Sesame Street tune of: "One of these is not like the other."

Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,744,435 times
Quote:
I'm French and I always loved America, I want to live and work there and honestly Bush and Obama never bothered me in the least given I'm financially conservative and socially liberal, they all had something to please me despite their flaws.
But Trump, and at a lesser extent Sanders, really gives me a heartach, what happened to the America we love all around the world? Why this sudden hatred? Please guys, there is nothing I can't do because I'm a foreigner but you need to fight guys with all your might, the future and brand of the country is at stake, more than ever ! I believe in America, if you fight with determination you can stop him. But don't fight him in Cali because he won't be able to win there it's impossible. Fight him in the battleground states, use the power of the Internet...If he loses Florida and Nevada that should be enough.

After that this kind of candidate would be over forever I think because the share of the white vote will be too low to win with bigotry.

Good luck
I'm very curious. As someone from Europe, what is your perception of Bernie Sanders and why does he, like Trump, make your heart ache? Is it because you're financially conservative? What do you think Bernie Sanders will do re; the economy that will be harmful to the vast majority of Americans?
And why were you o.k. with Bush? His presidency is largely responsible for what you are dealing with in Europe now.

And how can the U.S. be socially liberal and financially conservative? What does that look like to you? People say that here too ... that they're socially liberal and financially conservative.
It takes $$$ to support all kinds of social services and infrastructure right? What should money be spent on? The military industrial complex?! Bailing out Wall Street? etc.

I'm in no way (not even close) an expert on politics and social issues, the economy, etc.. but i don't understand how someone can be both. An administration either cares deeply about the social issues and is willing to spend the money necessary or it's a capitalistic free for all (how's that working out for most?!), food chain, dog eat dog, competitive rat-race.

That's probably simplistic and naive to say but what's money good for if not to help all to live a decent life?
To accumulate more and more and more? And why do people want to accumulate? Well, 'cause once you get "it" (whatever "it" is) you realize at some point that "it" doesn't fulfill so you accumulate more and on and on and on. Now that's insane. The over-the-top consumerism is, imo, one of the most insane aspects in this country and it's a disease that has been spreading around the world. It's destructive. Ridiculous. Nuts. More and more and for what?

Good housing, good food, good health care, good education (for those who want it), clean air and water ... those are some essential things for a decent life. Some time for fun/play, art, music, etc.. are very important too. But all of this disposable junk that will never fulfill?

I don't think Capitalism has to look like that but there would need to be a collective change in consciousness for people to STOP CONSUMING in this way! We're destroying the planet and each other.
Off on a tangent i realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California